2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Once you remote start it, can you put the key/button to run and drive the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm. A quote from her last post :
I can start the car with the remote start but when I go to get in the car and put my key in th ignition with the starter running nothing happens.
Think she meant engine running. This would mean : remote start works, but insert fob and nothing happens, can't drive away.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Unfortunately I only have one as I bought it second hand
Well that's scary, whoever has the other key can steal your car anytime they want.
Get 2 new FOBs programmed for YOU so the other FOB will no longer work.
OK, so I am a little paranoid, just saying.
I put name tags on my key chains addressed to my Jeep dealer service department with the last 8 characters of my VIN so if somebody returns my keys I can be found.
Sure don't want the bad guys to know where I live if they have my FOB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You did replace the fob battery, right? The fob battery is in correctly? I know my local Battery+ store has a FOB tester, Ace hardware as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have not yet but battery will not affect my car starting, and as I said I can use the emote start to start it I just can't use the key

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
343 Posts
Dumb question time: did you try removing the steel key from the fob and try just that in the ignition? I've never done that, but it seems like an alternative that Jeep provides in an emergency.

You can unlock it and remove if from the fob.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Dumb question time: did you try removing the steel key from the fob and try just that in the ignition? I've never done that, but it seems like an alternative that Jeep provides in an emergency.

You can unlock it and remove if from the fob.
I have to use the fob to start my KL (no keyless). The ignition switch only has a small rectangular opening for the fob's tip.
The metal key is there to unlock the doors when/if the fob battery or electric unlock fails. Front doors still have old school locks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hoping someone can help, I've scoured the internet and have the to find what could be causing my issue. 2014 jeep Cherokee north, turn the key and nothing, no lights, no click, nothing. Battery is very much alive, key fob locks/unlocks and panic button works. If I try a few time in a row to turn the key it will start eventually, so far, but worried this is a sign of a bigger problem. Anyone had similar issues or have any clue?
Could be a dead cell in the battery. It can appear fine, but have a shop or parts store do a load test on it. Personal experience with my 2015 TH, batteries last about 2 years. I am on my 3rd battery at 65,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Could be a dead cell in the battery. It can appear fine, but have a shop or parts store do a load test on it. Personal experience with my 2015 TH, batteries last about 2 years. I am on my 3rd battery at 65,000 miles.
Hi.

Post #16 : battery has just been replaced. No change.

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
343 Posts
Post #16 : battery has just been replaced. No change.
[/QUOTE]

Mark's right, that's not it in this case.

If the vehicle starts with the remote start, but not with the fob, then the fob becomes the true suspect, right? They aren't cheap and it's too bad she can't obtain the duplicate. Does it have to be the dealer that programs the fob?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If the vehicle starts with the remote start, but not with the fob, then the fob becomes the true suspect, right? They aren't cheap and it's too bad she can't obtain the duplicate. Does it have to be the dealer that programs the fob?
I admit my curiousity is totally piqued. Remote start requires a working fob, but... could it just be half broken ? lol. If I had to guess.... I'd go with a faulty ignition.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
343 Posts
I admit my curiousity is totally piqued. Remote start requires a working fob, but... could it just be half broken ? lol. If I had to guess.... I'd go with a faulty ignition.
Faulty ignition could be it - at the mechanism at least, whether it's a push button or fob rotated. Remote start bypasses that, I believe. If it was aftermarket (likely not), it would be a new fob from the RS manufacturer.

Is there a way to check the fob operation aside from the vehicle? There must be.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is an ignition switch issue. The rf hub is receiving and following through with all remote commands. If the rf hub wasn’t recognizing the fob when used in the ignition, it would kick out a “wrong key fob”, or “key fob not detected” message. The batteries in the fob are not needed at all to start the vehicle. Since there’s zero response at all, it’s a faulty wireless ignition node. Sometimes they slowly go bad when people use a lot of keys attached to the fob, adding weight and torque to the node. That’s probably why it’ll finally start after multiple tries, or when you wiggle the fob around while turning the switch.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
This is an ignition switch issue. The rf hub is receiving and following through with all remote commands. If the rf hub wasn’t recognizing the fob when used in the ignition, it would kick out a “wrong key fob”, or “key fob not detected” message. The batteries in the fob are not needed at all to start the vehicle. Since there’s zero response at all, it’s a faulty wireless ignition node. Sometimes they slowly go bad when people use a lot of keys attached to the fob, adding weight and torque to the node. That’s probably why it’ll finally start after multiple tries, or when you wiggle the fob around while turning the switch.
I've got a lot of keys attached... need to re-assess. Thx for the reminder.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
343 Posts
This is really helpful information and I'll bet my fob weighs just south of 2 pounds.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
This is really helpful information and I'll bet my fob weighs just south of 2 pounds.
I did it. Today. After a few decades of carrying a heavy load of keys, I've cut it down to house key + mini flashlight. Wow, I barely feel them in my pocket...

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
343 Posts
That's great to hear - congratulations!

You have two fob's now, right?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts