2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help, I've scoured the internet and have the to find what could be causing my issue. 2014 jeep Cherokee north, turn the key and nothing, no lights, no click, nothing. Battery is very much alive, key fob locks/unlocks and panic button works. If I try a few time in a row to turn the key it will start eventually, so far, but worried this is a sign of a bigger problem. Anyone had similar issues or have any clue?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Hoping someone can help, I've scoured the internet and have the to find what could be causing my issue. 2014 jeep Cherokee north, turn the key and nothing, no lights, no click, nothing. Battery is very much alive, key fob locks/unlocks and panic button works. If I try a few time in a row to turn the key it will start eventually, so far, but worried this is a sign of a bigger problem. Anyone had similar issues or have any clue?
Hi there and welcome to JCC :)

When you say the battery is very much alive : how do you mean ? This sounds like it could be a dying battery.

Did you purchase the 2014 new ? Have you replaced the battery yet, if you are the original owner ?
V6 or 2.4L engine ? Any other symptoms ?

Thx.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A common point of failure is where the actual battery cable bolts to the battery clamp itself.

There's enough electrons flowing for the smaller loads but when a full connection is required, it cuts out.

Basically, all the battery cabling and connectors at the battery need to be disassembled, cleaned and re-installed.

It is a dangerous detail and should be performed by a qualified technician.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi there and welcome to JCC :)

When you say the battery is very much alive : how do you mean ? This sounds like it could be a dying battery.

Did you purchase the 2014 new ? Have you replaced the battery yet, if you are the original owner ?
V6 or 2.4L engine ? Any other symptoms ?

Thx.

Hi thanks for your reply, purchased second hand 4, almost 5 years ago and the battery was new then. All connections were checked and battery has been tested, that's why this is such a puzzle. It's a V6 and no other issues at all but it did pull a P0546. (corrected typo) code that I cleared once before as well. No sure how that would be connected but who knows at this point.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
I have a '15 TH 2.4L and right at 34 months I went out and tried to start and nothing. I waited, tried again, nothing. I disconnected battery negative, waited, reconnected and it started right up. I did see that battery positive was not all that tight either. I went to the dealer and had them replace the battery under warranty. Everything is good until this past spring when I tried it and nothing. I removed both terminals, cleaned and tightened and been good ever since.

I periodically clean the engine when doing a full detail and I will check and re-tighten the terminals. It's not unusual to find the rather cheesy terminals not very tight, so that could be it: lighter loads are fine, but heavier loads - like cranking won't work. I also threw away the battery cover - it's too hot in there for sealed lead acid in my opinion.

Good luck with your ride!

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Hi thanks for your reply, purchased second hand 4, almost 5 years ago and the battery was new then. All connections were checked and battery has been tested, that's why this is such a puzzle. It's a V6 and no other issues at all but it did pull a P0545 code that I cleared once before as well. No sure how that would be connected but who knows at this point.
We've seen bad batteries test good while they were not, from members on this forum, so it is still a possibility. Loose battery connectors at the battery are indeed another thing to check. Battery life average for V6 Cherokees is roughly 4 years, but there are many factors that come into play.

I would go to another shop to have the battery properly load tested, for a second opinion. Check with large chain auto parts stores in your area, some may do this for free (not sure they do in Canada... but worth checking). Have them check all battery connectors, too.

About P0545 : hmm that's not a common one, and appears to be related to exhaust gas temperature. If it only showed up once, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, mistype, p0456, phone decided to correct. I will go back to the battery again and recheck, clean and retighten the connections again. I sincerely hope that is the issue because bringing it to the dealership will be quite the expensive endeavour.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Sorry, mistype, p0456, phone decided to correct. I will go back to the battery again and recheck, clean and retighten the connections again. I sincerely hope that is the issue because bringing it to the dealership will be quite the expensive endeavour.
Quick question : have you tried getting a boost when the Cherokee refuses to turn over ? If so, and if it works, then... the battery is even more the probable culprit.

Problem with battery tests : testing equipment is usually programmed to say a battery is good when it tests above 50% battery health. The Cherokee requires roughly 60%+ to be good enough ; this is health, not state of charge, and old style carbon type battery testers can't check this parameter. Most shops have electronic testers now, which do check battery health.

If your present battery is 4+ years old, it wouldn't be money thrown away to replace it... even if it turns out to not be responsible for the current problem. Because you have a 2014, OEM battery is not AGM, but I'd recommend you get an AGM (group 94R/H7). If you need help finding one, let me know. Ballpark prices :
$250 - $275-ish for AGM : https://www.canadiantire.ca/fr/pdp/...or-agm-groupe-94r-h7-l4-800-adf-0109420p.html

$190 at Canadian Tire for a regular 94R : https://www.canadiantire.ca/fr/pdp/batterie-motomaster-groupe-94r-h7-l4-730-adf-0109400p.html
Costco Canada has one - warehouse only - for $155 (Kirkland Signature group H7). Check with their battery selector :

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just want to echo Mark's comments. You are due for a new battery as it is, so buying one now would be the prudent thing to do even if the problem turns out to be something else, which I doubt is the case.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yep, still thinking battery as well...We see this everyday.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
Whatever happened here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So sorry, thought I did reply that it did not fix my issue. Battery was replaced and everything was cleaned up. Issue persists. Waiting to bring it in and will update with answer once I have one since I can see that this is an issue that others have had too

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
So when you turn the key, it acts like it is in gear? So everything works electrically as it would without the engine running and the you go to crank and nothing, right? Are all of the lights (no lights dim), indicators, whatever the same except the engine won't start? Does anything change during crank?

Just trying to make sure we understand here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when you turn the key, it acts like it is in gear? So everything works electrically as it would without the engine running and the you go to crank and nothing, right? Are all of the lights (no lights dim), indicators, whatever the same except the engine won't start? Does anything change during crank?

Just trying to make sure we understand here.
No, it's like there is no key in the ignition. No lights, no radio... Nothing. No click like it's trying to start.... Absolutely nothing at all. I can start the car with the remote start but when I go to get in the car and put my key in th ignition with the starter running nothing happens. I have pinned the issue down to one of two things, the ignition itself of an RFID chip issue with the key, but that is less likely since I can start it remotely. Just waiting to get it in

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
No, it's like there is no key in the ignition. No lights, no radio... Nothing. No click like it's trying to start.... Absolutely nothing at all. I can start the car with the remote start but when I go to get in the car and put my key in th ignition with the starter running nothing happens. I have pinned the issue down to one of two things, the ignition itself of an RFID chip issue with the key, but that is less likely since I can start it remotely. Just waiting to get it in
Not sure if you've addressed this already, but... what about the second fob ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts