2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Clicking or clunking when accelerating or decelerating while in motion.

I have a 2015 Trailhawk with a similar issue that was more of a clunk noise than a click. The issue may be the engine mounts. The dealer first said it was a transmission problem but revving while on the lift showed as the gas was accelerated the engine torque caused the lifting of the engine, then when the gas pedal was released a second clunk as the engine settled back into place. If it's under warranty they will replace them. If not you will have to cover the cost as its not considered part of the drive train.
The sound that I and many others are hearing can be reproduced with very minor changes to throttle. As long as you go from slightly accelerating to slightly decelerating, it makes the noise. I don't think the engine should be moving around much under those conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been noticing a noise on my 2019 Cherokee when vehicle is moving at higher speed (30+) and I let off the gas pedal and then press it again. It is difficult to describe, but probably best described as a click. There are not any performance issues, it only occurs at higher speeds, and cannot be replicated while stopped. Anyone know what I am referring to? I do not recall hearing it on test drives or when we first bought the Cherokee, but perhaps I was not paying attention. Sounds like it is coming from driver's side, but cannot tell if inside or outside.

I came across Wrangler owners discussing same thing, but did not read enough to see if there was a conclusion as to cause. The slightest noise bugs me--I did not buy an Infiniti one time because it had a barely audible but high pitched sound whenever the gas pedal was in a depressed position.
I just got a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 6 cyl that is doing the exact same thing. Back off and touch of the gas pedal at any leveled off speed 30+ and you get one clunk up front . It sounds like a tie rod bushing or shock! The sudden change of torque once you level off. Taking it in Sept 22 for it to be checked. I hate hearing it....NO other vehicle does anything like this. You hit that pedal at any speed and they rake off.... my email is [email protected] if any of you have an answer. I will post what Jeep dealer says Tuesday

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the same type of popping noise again with real light pedal pushing above 30 miles an hour also happens when I am backing my car up and turn the wheel all the way to the left or all the way to the right.
Getting my car back from the dealer now I had a steering shaft replaced it was a faulty joint.
I’m very curious if my 30 mph pedal push is gone as well.
It sounds strange but the popping noise was really loud with the steering wheel but it was the same noise but very faint on acceleration.
Fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been noticing a noise on my 2019 Cherokee when vehicle is moving at higher speed (30+) and I let off the gas pedal and then press it again. It is difficult to describe, but probably best described as a click. There are not any performance issues, it only occurs at higher speeds, and cannot be replicated while stopped. Anyone know what I am referring to? I do not recall hearing it on test drives or when we first bought the Cherokee, but perhaps I was not paying attention. Sounds like it is coming from driver's side, but cannot tell if inside or outside.

I came across Wrangler owners discussing same thing, but did not read enough to see if there was a conclusion as to cause. The slightest noise bugs me--I did not buy an Infiniti one time because it had a barely audible but high pitched sound whenever the gas pedal was in a depressed position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man you wont believe this one...I drove another identical 2020 Cherokee and it did not do it!! I only had it 3 weeks and finally got an appt last Tuesday. It was a soft ware change in computer that should have been done before it was put on lot! Unreal the power now when you touch the pedal. I hope you have the same good fortune
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
i pick it up in an hour.... yes they did the recall software update too

Airbag. Acceleration module something... I can’t hardly wait!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man you wont believe this one...I drove another identical 2020 Cherokee and it did not do it!! I only had it 3 weeks and finally got an appt last Tuesday. It was a soft ware change in computer that should have been done before it was put on lot! Unreal the power now when you touch the pedal. I hope you have the same good fortune
Mike
Got the car back all the noises are still there. Even with the so-called steering shaft replacement!!
Can you look at the receipt and find out exactly what the computer software update was that you got so I can stick it in their ass..., I am very impatient with stupidity of mechanics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, my 2019 trail hawk does the exact same thing, when I press on the throttle and take my foot off the throttle, sometimes its intermittent but drives me nuts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike
Could you please inquire what the computer update was? I have been in and out of the shop three times already and they will not admit there is something in the transmission going on please please please

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Have your Service Writer print a VIP report, it will have a complete history of everything pertaining to your Jeep.
They can't give you the report but you can look at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have your Service Writer print a VIP report, it will have a complete history of everything pertaining to your Jeep.
They can't give you the report but you can look at it.
Hello,

I purchased a new 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4x4, V-6 in August and soon after started experiencing the clunking sound when re-accelerating at 35+ mph. Although I love everything about this car, the clunking sound was driving me crazy and I regretted buying the thing. Took it back to the dealer and they didn’t know how to fix it. Took it to second dealer and they said it was normal power train backlash. I then contacted Jeep customer service via email and they said to take it back to a Jeep dealer and they would get involved. Took it to a third Jeep dealership three weeks ago and they said it was the dog clutches in the transmission and that Jeep had finally issued a new TSB just days before. I was the first person for them to do the re-flash and it fixed the problem. The car now drives normally. The TSB that was performed was TSB 21-020-20 REV A. I hope everyone who is experiencing this problem finds this helpful. This has been a common problem with Jeep Cherokees. I previously drove three others that had the same issue. Very happy that Jeep finally came up with a fix for this annoying problem. It is a quick TCM/PCM update. ....LKJeep20

·
Registered
5 Posts
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I’ll Be calling them in the morning!!!!
I’ve been back 3 times already and they keep taking apart my steering column!!!

Hello,

I purchased a new 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4x4, V-6 in August and soon after started experiencing the clunking sound when re-accelerating at 35+ mph. Although I love everything about this car, the clunking sound was driving me crazy and I regretted buying the thing. Took it back to the dealer and they didn’t know how to fix it. Took it to second dealer and they said it was normal power train backlash. I then contacted Jeep customer service via email and they said to take it back to a Jeep dealer and they would get involved. Took it to a third Jeep dealership three weeks ago and they said it was the dog clutches in the transmission and that Jeep had finally issued a new TSB just days before. I was the first person for them to do the re-flash and it fixed the problem. The car now drives normally. The TSB that was performed was TSB 21-020-20 REV A. I hope everyone who is experiencing this problem finds this helpful. This has been a common problem with Jeep Cherokees. I previously drove three others that had the same issue. Very happy that Jeep finally came up with a fix for this annoying problem. It is a quick TCM/PCM update. ....LKJeep20

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. Just got my 2021 Cherokee 4 x 4 3.2 a month ago. I noticed the same noise that is referenced in this thread, and took it to the dealer. Because of COVID, their policy is to not go on a drive with the owner, so the best I could do was to describe the noise and when it occurs. As I left the vehicle with the dealer, I sadly thought I knew what the outcome of the visit would be - and was correct. Of course they said that they couldn't hear any noise. When I got home, I started to search the internet (should have done this first!), and came across this thread. Checked out the TSB, and it looks very promising. I am going to contact the dealer next week and see if this will resolve things. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi. Just got my 2021 Cherokee 4 x 4 3.2 a month ago. I noticed the same noise that is referenced in this thread, and took it to the dealer. Because of COVID, their policy is to not go on a drive with the owner, so the best I could do was to describe the noise and when it occurs. As I left the vehicle with the dealer, I sadly thought I knew what the outcome of the visit would be - and was correct. Of course they said that they couldn't hear any noise. When I got home, I started to search the internet (should have done this first!), and came across this thread. Checked out the TSB, and it looks very promising. I am going to contact the dealer next week and see if this will resolve things. I'll post the results.
Always try to get video proof of an issue. That way you have proof when they give you the old "We can't replicate it" song and dance. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good result today! The dealer actually believed me when I showed them the printout of TSB 21-020-20 REV A, and followed the procedure, which looks like it reprograms the transmission. I was out of there in an hour. The noise is gone (yay), and it feels like a completely different (in a good way) vehicle to drive now.
I've only put about 1300 miles on it, and had noticed that the transmission seemed to "stumble" under low to moderate acceleration and couldn't quite figure out what to do with second gear. It almost felt like it just went from 1st to 3rd with just a brief enough stop in 2nd to disrupt smooth acceleration. I know this is a weird description, but if you know what I'm talking about, you know what I'm talking about! The other thing that I noticed was that it often felt that the transmission had trouble deciding what gear to be in while driving around town. I basically attributed these things to the nine speed transmission (which takes quite a pounding on internet videos) an figured that I'd have to live with them.
Well, I've got to tell you that the vehicle shifts appropriately, smoothly and crisply through the gears now- no more "stumble"; and now seems to have enough confidence in itself to choose the right gear as we drive around town.
All in all, a most satisfactory fix, although it should not have taken two dealership visits to get it done. And we won't even go into why a brand new vehicle would need it's transmission reprogrammed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like I popped the champagne too soon. Clunking noise returned today :(. This time it seems like the noise has moved to a higher speed band: 55+. It seems to happen less often at the lower speeds where it was found before, but still makes an occasional appearance there.

Looking over the other Cherokee forums, it looks like this issue rarely gets fixed, and I can't find any concrete diagnosis of what it actually is other than the TSB that LKJeep20 posted. Hate to just keep running back and forth to the dealer with a new car. Maybe I'll try them again and then contact Jeep.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Looks like I popped the champagne too soon. Clunking noise returned today :(. This time it seems like the noise has moved to a higher speed band: 55+. It seems to happen less often at the lower speeds where it was found before, but still makes an occasional appearance there.

Looking over the other Cherokee forums, it looks like this issue rarely gets fixed, and I can't find any concrete diagnosis of what it actually is other than the TSB that LKJeep20 posted. Hate to just keep running back and forth to the dealer with a new car. Maybe I'll try them again and then contact Jeep.
Well, that's unfortunate!!! The best thing to do is get video proof of the issue, and the sound, and stay on their butts about it. This is totally unacceptable!!! Maybe PM @JeepCares and see if they might be able to help you out. They can occasionally be helpful. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,448 Posts

Well, that's unfortunate!!! The best thing to do is get video proof of the issue, and the sound, and stay on their butts about it. This is totally unacceptable!!! Maybe PM @JeepCares and see if they might be able to help you out. They can occasionally be helpful. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎
Thanks for tagging us here, Flybynightcru!

We'd be happy to discuss your concerns further, Retro53. Could you send us a private message with more details? Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2020 Limited 3.2 L does this and so does our 2018 Overland 3.2L.

It hasn't caused a problem in the 100,000+ miles the 2018 has been driven so far.

I'm not worried about it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts