2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a noise on my 2019 Cherokee when vehicle is moving at higher speed (30+) and I let off the gas pedal and then press it again. It is difficult to describe, but probably best described as a click. There are not any performance issues, it only occurs at higher speeds, and cannot be replicated while stopped. Anyone know what I am referring to? I do not recall hearing it on test drives or when we first bought the Cherokee, but perhaps I was not paying attention. Sounds like it is coming from driver's side, but cannot tell if inside or outside.

I came across Wrangler owners discussing same thing, but did not read enough to see if there was a conclusion as to cause. The slightest noise bugs me--I did not buy an Infiniti one time because it had a barely audible but high pitched sound whenever the gas pedal was in a depressed position.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Mine doesn't click, so I'd say not normal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to try to record it. I never hear it when cruise control is being used and same situation occurs of letting of gas and then accelerating again, or at lower speeds. It is NOT transmission related, but I also cannot tell if it is from under the dash or the driver's side under hood. Originally thought MAF valve (or whatever it's called), but that should, in theory, cause the noise anytime it changes position which is independent of speed or gear.

If it is a problem, I need to try to figure out what it actually is. Jeep dealers are morons at diagnosing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll have to try to record it. I never hear it when cruise control is being used and same situation occurs of letting of gas and then accelerating again, or at lower speeds. It is NOT transmission related, but I also cannot tell if it is from under the dash or the driver's side under hood. Originally thought MAF valve (or whatever it's called), but that should, in theory, cause the noise anytime it changes position which is independent of speed or gear.

If it is a problem, I need to try to figure out what it actually is. Jeep dealers are morons at diagnosing.
Is it like a wavy kind of noise? Pretty certain I know what you’re talking about- is yours a 4 cylinder like mine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine will click with the same kind of situation. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the rear driveline dog clutch engaging. 55,000 miles and mine has always done it.
Turn your radio down and try it at a few speeds, usually a feather touch on the gas pedal after coasting briefly it can be audible.

For me anyways, give it a try and see.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Mine will click with the same kind of situation. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the rear driveline dog clutch engaging. 55,000 miles and mine has always done it.
Turn your radio down and try it at a few speeds, usually a feather touch on the gas pedal after coasting briefly it can be audible.

For me anyways, give it a try and see.

So that's why I may not be hearing it? :grin:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like it is coming from the front, but yes, it ONLY happens with a feather touch on gas after letting off completely and not if I am more aggressive. I have good hearing and every noise bugs me, so I hear it even with radio up even though it is not actually that loud. It seems like it would do this while using cruise control, unless the cruise control is just more aggressive in accelerating than I am when I hear the noise. The noise only occurs as I lightly press back on the gas pedal in heavier traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Okay, so on my hour round trip I tried to make mine "click."
I tried it in many different speeds, about 30 times and nothing.
"Could not reproduce problem." ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure the dog clutch for the rear drive shaft is in the front, in the back "I believe" is a wet clutch pack. Some may just be quieter than others *shrug*

I know what you mean by noises, at a certain rpm my aftermarket dash cam buzzes and it drives me NUTS lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine developed this noise probably around 12K-14K miles. I think it is driveline related, likely the dog clutch for the rear as some have said. I hear it when I moderately accelerate from ~20-35 mph and have to suddenly let off the accelerator. I may have heard it a time or two when re-applying the accelerator. A tick/click is the perfect word for it. I'm not concerned about it. It's not gotten worse in the ~6K-8K miles since I first noticed it, and the frequency hasn't increased either. Of all the noises mine makes, this one is trivial.

·
Registered
77 Posts
our daughter's 2019 TH Elite has made this noise since we drove it off the showroom floor with 2 miles on it. we were told it was the 4wd/AWD system engaging and disengaging, which I know can't be right. but we have had 2 different AWD Nissan Murano's and both of them made the exact same noise. but ours does it any speed, not just low speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2019 Latitude plus trim level with the straight 4cyl and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Selcterrain 4x4 with 1,700 miles on it. I go back and forth between calling it a pop or click but it's the same issue. I use it for work and drive around 100 miles/ day. I noticed it about a week ago and it's absolutely driving me crazy. I feel like it happens mostly between 30-50mph. I can also faintly feel the pop through the pedal. Whatever it is, doesn't seem to be performing smoothly which makes me thing it needs repair. A brand new car shouldn't feel that way so it has be a flaw right? So since this thread was started last year, does anyone have any updates? Im still within my 90 day return policy but I do really love the Jeep so I'd rather keep it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same issue with my Cherokee (4cyl, AWD AD1 Latitude). The dealer mechanic said that it's typical from the ZF-9 speed transmission and it's the Dog clutches engaging / disengaging. I hear the same type sound on certain downshifts as well. This clutch technology is unique to that transmission and while it's unpleasant and maybe could be better engineered, I think they all do it to some extent. I heard the same sounds on a rental. That said, it's a bad design choice that prioritized fuel efficiency over smooth performance. Chrysler may also have some lingering software programming issues since the same transmission is used in some Honda's, Acura's, and Range Rovers - which also have problems, but different ones. You probably also notice very slow downshifting from 5-4 (around the same speeds), again the culprit is the Dog clutch.

The main concern I have is durability - clanging metal parts aren't usually very long lived. There is a YouTube video where a master mechanic (weber auto) disassembles this transmission and when he simulators the Dog clutches, you can hear the clanking noise. This transmission is sometimes praised for its technology and compactness, but I think after many software and hardware updates, it still misses the mark on smooth performance.

I plan to have it checked again on the next service.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
...the same transmission is used in some Honda’s (sic), Acura’s (sic) and Range Rovers...
Actually it is not the same transmission. The KL transmission is built by FCA, not the same as in the other vehicles which are built “elsewhere”. How much different we don’t know, but it is not going to be identical to the original ZF design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually it is not the same transmission. The KL transmission is built by FCA, not the same as in the other vehicles which are built “elsewhere”. How much different we don’t know, but it is not going to be identical to the original ZF design.

I believe the Jeep ZF9 is built in the Kokomo and Tipton plants and the Honda/Acura is built in ZF plant in South Carolina. Range Rover - who knows.

Initially, Chrysler said the differences were minor due to existing tooling in Kokomo and did not impact the design. Since then, both Jeep and Honda have made updates to the SW and HW. Supposedly, all were approved by ZF and shared - but you're right, we don't know for sure. I'm guessing they're substantially the same in hardware, but have significantly different software because of how that needs to match the engine performance and torque curve.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been noticing a noise on my 2019 Cherokee when vehicle is moving at higher speed (30+) and I let off the gas pedal and then press it again. It is difficult to describe, but probably best described as a click. There are not any performance issues, it only occurs at higher speeds, and cannot be replicated while stopped. Anyone know what I am referring to? I do not recall hearing it on test drives or when we first bought the Cherokee, but perhaps I was not paying attention. Sounds like it is coming from driver's side, but cannot tell if inside or outside.

I came across Wrangler owners discussing same thing, but did not read enough to see if there was a conclusion as to cause. The slightest noise bugs me--I did not buy an Infiniti one time because it had a barely audible but high pitched sound whenever the gas pedal was in a depressed position.
Our 2019 Limited with AD1 and V6 has a high pitched whine that starts at about 30 km/hr and is noticeable up to 85-90 km/hr. It can be quite irritating. We also have some clunking sounds when get off the gas and when accelerating. I can understand the clunking being related to the clutch but not the whine. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Clicking? noise

I have a 2014 Latitude, 4 cylinder. I've heard a noise that sounds like engine knock. Especially hear it when windows down, radio low. I brought that to the attention of the dealership not long after getting the car (new).

They said..."It's normal".

Uh-huh, of course it is.

As I said, don't know if it's the same thing you hear, but the sound I hear sure sounds like engine knock to me.

Also don't notice any performance issues. Just that naggy noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Clicking or clunking when accelerating or decelerating while in motion.

I have a 2015 Trailhawk with a similar issue that was more of a clunk noise than a click. The issue may be the engine mounts. The dealer first said it was a transmission problem but revving while on the lift showed as the gas was accelerated the engine torque caused the lifting of the engine, then when the gas pedal was released a second clunk as the engine settled back into place. If it's under warranty they will replace them. If not you will have to cover the cost as its not considered part of the drive train.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts