2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Some early build 2014's had this issue.

Diagnosis:

1. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

2. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

3. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Proceed to next step.

b. No >>> Proceed to step 8.

4. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

5. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.

6. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

7. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.

b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.

8. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

9. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

10. Does tank refill properly?

a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.

b. Yes >> Proceed to step 11.

11. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

12. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.

13. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

14. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >>> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent

hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.

b. No >>> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.
This sounds like a TSB. Any chance you have the TSB number associated with these instructions?

I'm also having the same issue. If the nozzle isn't in the right spot it will shut off sometimes. Rather annoying but I can usually get it to work after jiggling the handle a bit. I have not taken it into the dealer but after hearing this its validating my concern. I am due for a recall on the liftgate module so I'll probably take it in and bring up both issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
There are no TSB's related to this condition. What I have posted is only the diagnostic routine the Technician will go through if this complaint is reported. I have found it varies on different fueling locations on the nozzle angle thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so the girlfriend took the Jeep in today to Dulles Jeep (had to work) and I must say from what she told me, I had them all wrong. Constant professionals and certainly did not try any warranty "tricks."

With that being said, the verdict is in and it was reached relatively quickly by the mechanics. A bad gas tank. 20 day back order for the replacement tank. Thank gosh I have another vehicle as I certainly don't want to be driving around in a vehicle that has gas tank issues. So with that being said here are some questions from you Jeep Trailhawk Experts:

1. Obviously there is no way of predicting the future but is this a sign of things to come in terms of faulty parts? I still have 1.5 years left on my 3 year warranty or about 19k more miles.

2. Would I be jumping the gun and overreacting by trading it in now (after the tank issue is fixed) for a vehicle that has less recall issues?

I think I may be letting some of the posts I read about people's nightmare stories on here get to me; however, I'd rather be proactive than reactive in terms of getting rid of it (if need be) due to constant significant issues. Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Well, at least they got to it quickly and are going to do the warranty work for you.

Personally, I think trading it in may be jumping the gun, but that'll be an answer only you can really decide. I love my TH, it's by far the best vehicle I've owned. Not saying there aren't issues with some, because there are, and it sucks for the people that had to deal with those issues. But my take on it is, other peoples' problems are just that. They're not my own, and if I had to react to everyone else's problems with their vehicles, I'd go broke trading in every other month to avoid having any issues...The warranty is there for these kinds of issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, at least they got to it quickly and are going to do the warranty work for you.

Personally, I think trading it in may be jumping the gun, but that'll be an answer only you can really decide. I love my TH, it's by far the best vehicle I've owned. Not saying there aren't issues with some, because there are, and it sucks for the people that had to deal with those issues. But my take on it is, other peoples' problems are just that. They're not my own, and if I had to react to everyone else's problems with their vehicles, I'd go broke trading in every other month to avoid having any issues...The warranty is there for these kinds of issues.
Excellent post Ptrudel, but would you agree that the trailhawk has had significantly more issues than say your average new vehicle?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Excellent post Ptrudel, but would you agree that the trailhawk has had significantly more issues than say your average new vehicle?
That's kind of subjective. The KL may show more signs of issues, but it's also a top selling vehicle...More on the road, more problems will be reported.

Every vehicle has it's issues. Doesn't matter the brand. It just comes down to a person's ability to deal with the risk of buying a new vehicle. Some people don't mind relying on the warranty, other's don't want that risk.

·
Registered
366 Posts
...Thank gosh I have another vehicle as I certainly don't want to be driving around in a vehicle that has gas tank issues...
Did anyone tell you the gas tank was unsafe? if it's not unsafe, no reason not to continue to drive it while they wait for the replacement part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No, no one said it was unsafe; however, I don't necessarily have the time to sit at the pump for 20-30 minutes while it clicks off after a half a second. I think I'm going to wait for the gas tank, sprint to pay it off and trade it in. I only owe about 8k on it so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No, no one said it was unsafe; however, I don't necessarily have the time to sit at the pump for 20-30 minutes while it clicks off after a half a second. I think I'm going to wait for the gas tank, sprint to pay it off and trade it in. I only owe about 8k on it so we'll see what happens.
I have been having the same problem with my 2014 TH.

During the month of January my vehicle has been at the dealer for 10 days and I have spent $1700 supposedly replacing everything related to the fill hose, vent tubes, tank itself and so forth with my dealer to no avail.

As you have pointed out spending 20+ minutes to refill the tank is ridiculous. Losing use of my vehicle for 10 days and spending $1700 and still having the problem is beyond ridiculous.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-...ussion/171617-vapor-lock-can-t-fill-tank.html

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know this may be a little out there, but do you think the issue is related to the vapor return systems installed on the gas pumps in some states? Perhaps they are more sensitive to gas vapor?

In my state, all the pumps just have the bare metal filler tip with no vapor return system.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The Dealer should go through the diagnostics I posted at no charge and refund the unnecessary parts they replaced. They should have gone through that process before replacing anything.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Agreed with above. Bad gas tank sounds a bit over the top to me since it just started happening. A rubber hose collapsed somewhere yes, but a tank failed?

I guess stranger things have happened but will be interested to see if that is the final verdict.

Sent from a tiny mobile device with fat thumbs...

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Dealer should go through the diagnostics I posted at no charge and refund the unnecessary parts they replaced. They should have gone through that process before replacing anything.
Thank you for the diagnostics you posted - I passed it along to the dealer, they said that they had followed that process.

The dealer is waiting on a response from engineers back east.

We called another dealer, they said the first time they could even look at my vehicle was the 22nd of February.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Thank you for the diagnostics you posted - I passed it along to the dealer, they said that they had followed that process.

The dealer is waiting on a response from engineers back east.

We called another dealer, they said the first time they could even look at my vehicle was the 22nd of February.
I

I hate to say it, but the fact that almost all dealers are that far booked in advance appears to be evidence that there are too many recalls and TSBs on FCA vehicles. (I did say appear--not fact)

Reactions: sciond

·
Registered
475 Posts
I

I hate to say it, but the fact that almost all dealers are that far booked in advance appears to be evidence that there are too many recalls and TSBs on FCA vehicles. (I did say appear--not fact)
I'm with you, although others here on the forum who will no doubt claim that the backlog in the service departments is because sales are so strong :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Refueling Issues Jeep Cherokee 2014

Good Day,

wanted to find out if there were any updates on the refueling issues encountered by the 2014 Jeep Cherokee as described on the message thread.

Thank you,

Julio

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently experiencing the same problem with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Awaiting a new fuel sensor and fuel tank estimated at $1,300 for parts and labor.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I am currently experiencing the same problem with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Awaiting a new fuel sensor and fuel tank estimated at $1,300 for parts and labor.

Wow--sorry to hear that. Welcome to the forum, but sure hate it that you have to put out this large expense for the problem to be corrected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2014 in August. 30,000 miles as of today. All was fine until 3 fill ups ago. Pump kept kicking off.

Place I bought vehicle from offers a 6 month warranty on any issue. Brought it in. Took about 2 hours for them to do diagnostics. Said the ESIM was sticking closed not allowing air or fumes to exit (to evap canister I guess). They called a Jeep dealer for part and had to wait until the next day for the part. Jeep said they usually stock it and they were out of stock. What's that tell us? Anyway, they received the part and replaced it in about an hour. They say they put $10 of gas in with no issue. I'm going to fill tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll report back.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts