2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's what I got boys. A 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 14,000 miles on it and since I bought it well over a year and a half ago I have had NO problems.... Until now. I went to refuel this morning at 2 different gas stations and noticed that after a couple seconds of pumping the pump clicks and stops like the tank is full (about 1/2 a tank). I thought this was weird and maybe they were out of gas due to the impending blizzard (Northern VA). I went to another gas station and the same thing happened. I chalked it up to fuel shortage due to the ice roads and delayed delivery. Flash forward to about 30 minutes ago I go to a gas station around the corner from my house and the same d*** thing happens. Obviously not the issue I want to be having right before a blizzard. Anyone have any idea what the **** is going on? With all the problems and recalls surrounding my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk I knew I wasn't going to be that lucky and not have something pooh the bed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Did you try different pressure on the trigger? Does it matter if you're at half speed or full?

My gf's Grand Am does it, but it's something to do with the EVAP valve or something...not sure what it could be, this is a new one.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If I don't put the nozzle all the way in and it angles so the gas comes out against the side of the filler tube instead of going straight down it it will shut off too soon. I think the splashing against the side makes it think it is full and it clicks off.

Not sure that is your issue if you haven't had this come up before but that has happened to me a few times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you try different pressure on the trigger? Does it matter if you're at half speed or full?

My gf's Grand Am does it, but it's something to do with the EVAP valve or something...not sure what it could be, this is a new one.
Definitely. I tried different angles different pressures, even tried not inserting it all the way. I've read about guys having to replace full gas tanks, God I hope that's covered under bumper to bumper warranty if that's the case. What's strange is I have literally done nothing to evoke this sort of problem.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It'd be covered under the bumper to bumper for sure. This is definitely an odd one.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
pull out the nozzlevand put it back in. it should solve your isue

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
Or, if you're in a jam, fill a fuel container, and then use the container to fill your Cherokee. It's an inconvenient fix, but red fuel cans don't have auto-stops.

Definitely sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ford had issues like this in the past and it was related to a plugged vapor canister. They were mounted in a bad location so they would fill up with dirt and cause "slow fuel fill". They came up with updated parts to solve the problem. It could be something similar. Definitely take it in. Interested to know the results.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
What is the fuel gauge showing...just curious

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sometimes I have to actually have the fuel nozzle just at the rim of the filler spout and use my fingers to pull back the auto shut off sleeve on the nozzle. Then I fill it that way. I doubt it is an issue with your fuel filler and more an issue with the gas pump nozzle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It'd be covered under the bumper to bumper for sure. This is definitely an odd one.
Agree, odd one indeed.

I had some ice get around the catch for the fuel door and that kept me from easily getting fuel the other day. Looks like a design issue to place the catch in a low sport inside the fuel filler. That happens to be the same spot that water would collect and freeze.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So here's what I got boys. A 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 14,000 miles on it and since I bought it well over a year and a half ago I have had NO problems.... Until now. I went to refuel this morning at 2 different gas stations and noticed that after a couple seconds of pumping the pump clicks and stops like the tank is full (about 1/2 a tank). I thought this was weird and maybe they were out of gas due to the impending blizzard (Northern VA). I went to another gas station and the same thing happened. I chalked it up to fuel shortage due to the ice roads and delayed delivery. Flash forward to about 30 minutes ago I go to a gas station around the corner from my house and the same d*** thing happens. Obviously not the issue I want to be having right before a blizzard. Anyone have any idea what the **** is going on? With all the problems and recalls surrounding my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk I knew I wasn't going to be that lucky and not have something pooh the bed.

Strange issue. Might want to get it checked at FCA dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Seems like some back pressure is shutting off the pump.
When the tank is nearing full, depending on flow speed, it shuts off. Faster flow rate earlier it shuts off.
Possibly the Evap system is causing that back pressure.
Do you usually stop at the first shut off or possibly try to squeeze a little bit more gas in after that initial shut off.
Doing that can actually put gas into the canister and block it up when it is meant for vapors only.
There also could me moisture that froze.
A trip to the dealer might be in order. It is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As a couple of members said it certainly sounds like an evaporative emissions system issue. Should be easy enough for you dealer to diagnose and repair.

Some BMW products have had similar issues, and there have been a number of cases where dealers have told owners that the repairs are not covered under warranty because the damage was caused by continuing to try to top off the tank after the gas station fuel pump clicked off, and flooding and damaging the evaporative emissions system. Not saying that's what has happened to yours, but needless to say those owners were not very happy as the repairs were expensive.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Some early build 2014's had this issue.

Diagnosis:

1. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

2. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

3. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Proceed to next step.

b. No >>> Proceed to step 8.

4. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

5. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.

6. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

7. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.

b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.

8. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

9. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

10. Does tank refill properly?

a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.

b. Yes >> Proceed to step 11.

11. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

12. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.

13. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

14. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >>> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent

hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.

b. No >>> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great post, Desoto. I suspect you nailed it. I forgot...one of my friends has an early '14 Latitude and had the same issue. They had to replace one of the vent hoses that had collapsed.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
As a couple of members said it certainly sounds like an evaporative emissions system issue. Should be easy enough for you dealer to diagnose and repair.

Some BMW products have had similar issues, and there have been a number of cases where dealers have told owners that the repairs are not covered under warranty because the damage was caused by continuing to try to top off the tank after the gas station fuel pump clicked off, and flooding and damaging the evaporative emissions system. Not saying that's what has happened to yours, but needless to say those owners were not very happy as the repairs were expensive.
BMW did this to some of their customers ? Surprising for that segment. I'm thinking they wouldn't dare do this unless some were repeat offenders or something. People have been overfilling since the stone age (well, you know...) so first offenses shouldn't be met with such drastic measures.
Aren't there sensors that should trip the Check Engine light for such systems ?

Thanks @Desoto for the always useful info. :wink:

·
Registered
475 Posts
BMW did this to some of their customers ? Surprising for that segment. I'm thinking they wouldn't dare do this unless some were repeat offenders or something. People have been overfilling since the stone age (well, you know...) so first offenses shouldn't be met with such drastic measures.
Aren't there sensors that should trip the Check Engine light for such systems ?
Yes, when there's a problem with the Evap system, the MIL light will typically be turned on. But at that point the damage has already been done. Seems like certain BMW models are unusually prone to damage from overfilling.

You might be surprised but BMW has a substantial history of trying to blame owners when problems are occurring on widespread numbers of their vehicles, and turning their backs on owners when there are widespread issues with their vehicles after the warranty periods are over. It's all well documented.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks fellas, bringing it to the dealer wednesday. I found the EVAP portion of my warranty (basic 3 year 36k) even though it basically covers everything with the fuel system. I fully expect Dulles Jeep to get cute and try to surcharge this and surcharge that but I'm ready for em. I have a feeling Jeep is going to try and blame me so they can avoid repairing the vehicle under the warranty, even though anyone who knows me knows I freaking baby that car. I certainly don't continue to fill the tank once it's filled and clicks off or whatever else they will try and make up.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Please keep us posted, and best of luck...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts