2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to attach a PDF version of the installation guide I made up. I'm still getting lots of requests for it, so I'm just going to make it available to everyone. This was installed on my 2015 TH.

*Couple of disclaimers*

-I'm in no way associated with XenonDepot. I don't work for the company.
-Follow these instructions at your own risk.
-I'm in no way responsible if you screw something up.

Having said that, if you run into any kind of issues, shoot me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help out any way I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm going to attach a PDF version of the installation guide I made up. I'm still getting lots of requests for it, so I'm just going to make it available to everyone. This was installed on my 2015 TH.

*Couple of disclaimers*

-I'm in no way associated with XenonDepot. I don't work for the company.
-Follow these instructions at your own risk.
-I'm in no way responsible if you screw something up.

Having said that, if you run into any kind of issues, shoot me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help out any way I can.
You're awesome for providing the PDF. Great job

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's my pleasure. If I can make help make what can be a daunting task to some a bit easier, I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for this. I am in the process of installing the HID extreme kit today. However after finishing with the passenger side I have no light. I swapped with the other kit, still no light. My Jeep has a build date of 2-15. Could I have reversed polarity?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ptrudel you mention that you removed the pin to allow for the wiring to pass through the 3/4 inch hole. How do you remove the pins? It appears to me they are in a moulded housing so pulling them is apt to ruin the clip. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the delayed response. With the new PWM's you have to reverse the polarity. I'm gonna have to update the PDF.

You can undo the pins of the plug with a precision flat head screwdriver. It can be un-clipped by going through the face of the connector through the smaller slot. If you need any extra help, shoot me a PM!

·
Registered
111 Posts
That was very helpful. The pins came out without damaging the connector. I reversed the polarity and the headlights work. I thank you for your help. It is too bad that Xenon Depot doesn't include better instructions in the kit. Lets hope the lights are better quality then their generic instruction booklet.

Again, sincere thanks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was very helpful. The pins came out without damaging the connector. I reversed the polarity and the headlights work. I thank you for your help. It is too bad that Xenon Depot doesn't include better instructions in the kit. Lets hope the lights are better quality then their generic instruction booklet.

Again, sincere thanks.
No problem, happy you got it all sorted out!

The generic instructions are ok for most, as the polarity is usually ok...Just another little weird thing with the KL.

You'll love the lights.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So everything worked out fine except my drivers side headlight goes out. I determined that the connector from the bulb to the PWM module is loose. This is the connector that I reversed the pins on. Has anyone had experience with this connector being loose and if so how did you correct it? I have emailed Xenon Depot and am waiting their reply. I wonder if I need a new connector or should I simply do away with the connector and solder the wires together. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the help from you guys.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So everything worked out fine except my drivers side headlight goes out. I determined that the connector from the bulb to the PWM module is loose. This is the connector that I reversed the pins on. Has anyone had experience with this connector being loose and if so how did you correct it? I have emailed Xenon Depot and am waiting their reply. I wonder if I need a new connector or should I simply do away with the connector and solder the wires together. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the help from you guys.
You can try tightening the lock on it. Undo the pins again, and give the lock a bit of a pry outwards. Also use some dielectric grease on your connections.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just installed 4300k HID PWM kit in right side in 16' Trailhawk and I'm seeing the large shadow at 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock depending on bulb orientation. Is this normal? Can it be remedied?
Yes it can be remedied... rotate the bulb! It can go in a few different ways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just installed my XD kit (4300K Phillips with PWM modules). Thanks to ptrudel for the instructions. A few observations on my install that might help others:

1. As others have reported, I found it easy to access both headlights from the wheel well (with the wheels on). I had the steering wheel turned full right. Just removed the 3 screws holding down the wheel liner and pushing it aside. Strangely, this gave me good access to both sides (i.e. I didn't switch to full left for the passenger side). I didn't need to remove anything and could actually reach down from the engine bay to pull the wires up and adhere the various boxes to the side wall. My experience may not apply to others with larger hands. The whole thing went very quickly. Helps to use one of those cheap, led light headbands.

2. I used the 3/4" forstner bit. Great bit choice, but I think a larger size is needed. I would even go to 1 1/8". While you can disassemble the connector to get through the smaller hole, the grommet I was given was just too big for a 3/4" hole. I ended up with an imperfect hole trying to make it larger, but the grommet is forgiving at covering up any irregularities.

3. If you remember to remove the clear plastic cover from the bulb before doing anything else it's a little easier then having to cut it up.

4. Don't forget to include the big o-ring when you screw the covers back on.

5. I inserted the bulbs with the wire at 6 o'clock as someone suggested and rotated clockwise in place. The passenger side bulb actually went in at something more like 7 or 8 o'clock.

All in all, a great product, easy install (no polarity issues) and pleased with the result.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all, thanks for the excellent procedure!

Some additional comments and questions...

Just installed my XD kit (4300K Phillips with PWM modules). Thanks to ptrudel for the instructions. A few observations on my install that might help others:

1. As others have reported, I found it easy to access both headlights from the wheel well (with the wheels on). I had the steering wheel turned full right. Just removed the 3 screws holding down the wheel liner and pushing it aside. Strangely, this gave me good access to both sides (i.e. I didn't switch to full left for the passenger side). I didn't need to remove anything and could actually reach down from the engine bay to pull the wires up and adhere the various boxes to the side wall. My experience may not apply to others with larger hands. The whole thing went very quickly. Helps to use one of those cheap, led light headbands.
I had the hardest time figuring out where to cleanly mount everything (ballast + PWM module + other black box). Mine looks really messy. Were you happy with your mounting locations? Can you share a picture?

2. I used the 3/4" forstner bit. Great bit choice, but I think a larger size is needed. I would even go to 1 1/8". While you can disassemble the connector to get through the smaller hole, the grommet I was given was just too big for a 3/4" hole. I ended up with an imperfect hole trying to make it larger, but the grommet is forgiving at covering up any irregularities.
I encountered the same issue. 3/4 is not large enough... the grommet will bind and pinch unless the hole is bigger. I ended up using a utility knife to shave the diameter out to about 1" seemed adequate for the grommet.

3. If you remember to remove the clear plastic cover from the bulb before doing anything else it's a little easier then having to cut it up.
Yes, I made this mistake (left the caps on and decided to cut them, which was fine but a bit more messy and unnecessary.)

4. Don't forget to include the big o-ring when you screw the covers back on.
There's an O-ring? :-O ... I didn't notice; is it something that would normally stay on the cover, or would it have fallen out immediately upon removal? The reason I ask is because I unscrewed it blind from the top. Hopefully, they didn't fall out.

5. I inserted the bulbs with the wire at 6 o'clock as someone suggested and rotated clockwise in place. The passenger side bulb actually went in at something more like 7 or 8 o'clock.
Thank you for this, I couldn't find a position that would eliminate the shadow line. I may have to try again :-(

A couple other thing to note...

- I connected and tested everything and it worked fine.... until I fastened everything into place. The right side stopped working unexpectedly. I inspected all the harness connections and they looked good, but only upon re-seating them did they work. I've read of others with a similar experience, so make sure your connections are firmly seated.

- A check engine light appeared after removing and re-connecting my battery during the procedure. I didn't check the code, but it went away after about 15 miles of driving. I'm guessing it was complaining about some sensor due to battery removal.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the grommet hole, it's possible that something has changed in the kit. When I did my install, a 3/4" is what made my grommet fit the best.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes, I made this mistake (left the caps on and decided to cut them, which was fine but a bit more messy and unnecessary.)
There's a plastic cover? Mine had foam sleeves. Is there plastic wrap on the bulbs beneath the foam sleeves?

1 - 20 of 246 Posts