2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum in posting but have been reading a lot since getting my 2016 Cherokee Latitude last month. I want to upgrade my headlights and fog lights to LED. I had bought a pair of LED headlights with cambus on Amazon before coming to this forum (high power ones, 10,000 lumens) but when I installed them I got the low beam out error and then would shut the headlights off. Doing reading here everyone seems to like the XD HID's but I didn't want to go to HID's again with how much of a pain it is to change the lights in this vehicle.

My question is, has anyone used the XD PWM and resistor with other manufactures LED headlights? I want the most power I can get and 4000lumens just doesn't seem like enough.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope you get your headlight and fog lights the way you want them. I am a senior citizen and not much of a tech, but I am sure there will be some helpful advice come on here from someone that can help you.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
So far I got one headlight LED to work on the left side.
The LEDs work, just not in the Cherokee.
Probably need to run wiring and relays off the battery and totally bypass the Body Control Module.
If anybody can figure out a solution I have 2 LED headlight kits ready to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ptram
@sanghill, I was noticing the something similar, if I had one light in (the right one for me) and the regular bulb in the other then the LED would stay on, as soon as I went to both LED it gave me issues. I wanted to avoid HID and go with LED but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the XD LED and gotten them to work

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@kkidfall - If you're looking for the brightest possible output then I would go with an HID kit over LED kit. Most vendors advertise the maximum theoretical lumens output of their LED bulb -- which is ridiculously higher then the actual effective lumens that the bulb is putting out. Our 4000 lumens number is based on 2 bulbs, whereas our 2016 Jeep Cherokee HID kit is rated at 3200 lumens PER bulb (assuming you go with a 4300k color temperature).

Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
I along with a number of other members have opted for the XD HID kit. In my opinion the install is actually rather simple. In my case I needed to change the wiring due to a polarity issue but XD claims to have changed this so there is no longer a polarity issue. The lights work well, they are much brighter then stock and the 4300k bulbs are a nice white light. The only thing I needed to do was to readjust the aim on my headlights. People were flashing me all the time even on dim. I adjusted them down and the lighting actually improved and I no longer annoy oncoming. I think this is a worthwhile upgrade to address the only major weakness we have found on our Cherokee.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I along with a number of other members have opted for the XD HID kit. In my opinion the install is actually rather simple. In my case I needed to change the wiring due to a polarity issue but XD claims to have changed this so there is no longer a polarity issue. The lights work well, they are much brighter then stock and the 4300k bulbs are a nice white light. The only thing I needed to do was to readjust the aim on my headlights. People were flashing me all the time even on dim. I adjusted them down and the lighting actually improved and I no longer annoy oncoming. I think this is a worthwhile upgrade to address the only major weakness we have found on our Cherokee.
Agree, went with cheaper brand myself and ended up switching to XD and work perfect. Easy install and worked great since install. Theres a lot of helpful post in Lighting Forum to help you get job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@XenonDepot It's not just about brighter lights, its also about not having to replace them nearly as often. Which with HID's and LED's it's a lot less often. My concern with HID's is that they always seem to end up with issues of them dying and not having a replacement, or it being really expensive to replace. I've had them in other cars before with other high end kits and it usually takes a few tries to get it just right. That's the reason I was looking at other LED brands that were high end and more lumens, but with your PWM kit. I'm just confused on why you need a PWM and resistor if that's the point of the PWM

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@kkidfall - Thank you for your response. I would not necessarily go with LED over HID if you are concerned about longevity. The real problem with HID kits is that the market is flooded with extremely low grade products. I'm not saying that XenonDepot is the only one that imports high quality kits, but most vendors do not. They simply try to find the cheapest products they can find so that they can compete based on price. When you're trying to find the best price above all, things like quality components and proper manufacturing facilities tend not to come into the picture -- at least that has been my experience in the 15+ years that I've been doing this.

Steve

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I have a question. I have a 2014 cherokee trailhawk and am interested in the XD HID kit. Do I have to install a pwm kit as well and how much does that cost?
Hi and welcome :)

Yes, you absolutely need PWMs with a Xenon Depot HID kit. With all HID kits, in fact. Some HID kits have the PWMs hidden in the ballast boxes, most have them as a separate module. On a Xenon Depot kit, adding PWMs costs something like $35 (for both).

Well here's a link from TRS (The Retrofit Source), a well-known vendor with many quality kits including Xenon Depot (TRS bought XD a few years ago), for a 9012 HID kit (fits your 2014 TH) :
(add the PWMs on the right, under ''Optional PWM modules'')

TRS also sells a less expensive but well reviewed Morimoto HID kit :
(add the PWMs on th eright, under ''Optional capacitor link'', for $20)

They also have a premium kit from GTR Lighting, PWMs are built-in :

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

Yes, you absolutely need PWMs with a Xenon Depot HID kit. With all HID kits, in fact. Some HID kits have the PWMs hidden in the ballast boxes, most have them as a separate module. On a Xenon Depot kit, adding PWMs costs something like $35 (for both).

Well here's a link from TRS (The Retrofit Source), a well-known vendor with many quality kits including Xenon Depot (TRS bought XD a few years ago), for a 9012 HID kit (fits your 2014 TH) :
(add the PWMs on the right, under ''Optional PWM modules'')

TRS also sells a less expensive but well reviewed Morimoto HID kit :
(add the PWMs on th eright, under ''Optional capacitor link'', for $20)

They also have a premium kit from GTR Lighting, PWMs are built-in :
Hi I am new to my Jeep Cherokee KL. I'd like to upgrade my lights as well. For the GTR lighting kit, there are two different wattages. Which one would you suggest? I am also looking for the whitest or the most daylight-looking color temp. That would be 6000k I think?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Hi I am new to my Jeep Cherokee KL. I'd like to upgrade my lights as well. For the GTR lighting kit, there are two different wattages. Which one would you suggest? I am also looking for the whitest or the most daylight-looking color temp. That would be 6000k I think?
Welcome to the forum :)

You are correct about the wattage and color choices. You will hear different opinions on both, so here are mine :

- Wattage : 35W is the industry norm for HIDs, all OEM HID headlights come with 35W ballasts and, as far as I know, 35W is the only 'legal' wattage. You also have to know that 55W does not translate into 36% more light output, it is a bit more but not that much. 55W kits are known to go through bulbs at a faster rate. One last thing... : 35W HIDs are powerful and need to be aimed right ; OEM HID headlights are required by law to have auto-levelling, which corrects aim depending on vehicle angle, and our halogen Cherokee projectors don't have auto-levelling, so the correct aim is more important, so you don't blind oncomers. 55W HIDs mean you are more likely to assault oncoming eyes if your aim is high.
I recommend 35W, always. Not to mention the fact that the GTR Lightiing kit is a premium kit with optimal light output... so 35W is plenty.
A good read here : HID Brightness

Color : 4300K is the industry norm for HIDs. Yes, it is on the yellowish side (warm white), but it is also more friendly to the human eye and produces the most usable light output. As you move up the color temperature scale, you lose output. 5000K is considered 'neutral white' and is acceptable also (in my opinion). At 6000K, you are moving into the blue side, with more UV light which is wasted, not to mention more annoying to you in bad weather, and more annoying to oncomers. As a comparison, LED headlights are 6000-6500K equivalent, and yes they are annoying.
If you are worried about matching the headlights with the DRLs, then just know that many-many here have been there, have installed 5000K bulbs and are happy with the match, even if it is slightly off (others won't notice).

Hope that helps.

Which model year Cherokee do you have ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

You are correct about the wattage and color choices. You will hear different opinions on both, so here are mine :

- Wattage : 35W is the industry norm for HIDs, all OEM HID headlights come with 35W ballasts and, as far as I know, 35W is the only 'legal' wattage. You also have to know that 55W does not translate into 36% more light output, it is a bit more but not that much. 55W kits are known to go through bulbs at a faster rate. One last thing... : 35W HIDs are powerful and need to be aimed right ; OEM HID headlights are required by law to have auto-levelling, which corrects aim depending on vehicle angle, and our halogen Cherokee projectors don't have auto-levelling, so the correct aim is more important, so you don't blind oncomers. 55W HIDs mean you are more likely to assault oncoming eyes if your aim is high.
I recommend 35W, always. Not to mention the fact that the GTR Lightiing kit is a premium kit with optimal light output... so 35W is plenty.
A good read here : HID Brightness

Color : 4300K is the industry norm for HIDs. Yes, it is on the yellowish side (warm white), but it is also more friendly to the human eye and produces the most usable light output. As you move up the color temperature scale, you lose output. 5000K is considered 'neutral white' and is acceptable also (in my opinion). At 6000K, you are moving into the blue side, with more UV light which is wasted, not to mention more annoying to you in bad weather, and more annoying to oncomers. As a comparison, LED headlights are 6000-6500K equivalent, and yes they are annoying.
If you are worried about matching the headlights with the DRLs, then just know that many-many here have been there, have installed 5000K bulbs and are happy with the match, even if it is slightly off (others won't notice).

Hope that helps.

Which model year Cherokee do you have ?
Thank you! I am a long-time Jeeper and I am glad to be back into the Jeep family.

Your information is very helpful. I'm not really trying to match the DRL look I just want a better headlight experience from the halogens. I am unsure what I have for headlights I just know that I want HIDs. My year KL is a 2015 Limited, I pick up my new jeep next week hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I have seen the original sticker thanks to the Jeep website that has the sticker vin lookup.

For the HIDs I have selected, would I need anything else with the kit or is it just plug and play? You mentioned aiming the headlights is that hard to do? I don't want to blind onlookers and I want a good color temperature for bad weather as well, i.e rain, snow. I live in CT. I also didn't know about the difference in wattage output to be minimal but with the knowledge that the 55w bulbs die faster makes me want to not go that 55w route.

Is there a matching kit for fog lights as well? Or something else that can be recommended?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Thank you! I am a long-time Jeeper and I am glad to be back into the Jeep family.

Your information is very helpful. I'm not really trying to match the DRL look I just want a better headlight experience from the halogens. I am unsure what I have for headlights I just know that I want HIDs. My year KL is a 2015 Limited, I pick up my new jeep next week hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I have seen the original sticker thanks to the Jeep website that has the sticker vin lookup.

For the HIDs I have selected, would I need anything else with the kit or is it just plug and play? You mentioned aiming the headlights is that hard to do? I don't want to blind onlookers and I want a good color temperature for bad weather as well, i.e rain, snow. I live in CT. I also didn't know about the difference in wattage output to be minimal but with the knowledge that the 55w bulbs die faster makes me want to not go that 55w route.

Is there a matching kit for fog lights as well? Or something else that can be recommended?
Ok...

My next question is : does your 2015 Limited have the Luxury package ? I'm asking because Luxury Group comes with factory HIDs.

As far as color, like I said 4300K is the norm and slightly 'whiter' than halogens, 5000K is neutral white. In bad weather, an edge goes to 4300K as light reflection from water droplets, snow and fog won't be as annoying to you, compared to whiter/bluer light.

Fog lights : a forum favorite are Xprite LED fog lights from Amazon. They offer white and amber kits. I have the white kit, it produces far superior light output than the factory halogen fog lights (low and wide), for low speed illumination :
(descriptin says Wrangler, but they are plug and play in 2014-2018 Cherokees. If you prefer fog lights for fog or bad weather, then... amber is the way to go for sure)

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Oh I forgot about aim : vertical aim is easily achieved once you've located the adjuster screw. You'll need a 6mm hex tool (Allen wrench or bit).
There's a good picture of the adjuster here (marked in blue) : Headlight height adjustment

If you need more help locating them, just ask, we have more pictures somewhere...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok...

My next question is : does your 2015 Limited have the Luxury package ? I'm asking because Luxury Group comes with factory HIDs.

As far as color, like I said 4300K is the norm and slightly 'whiter' than halogens, 5000K is neutral white. In bad weather, an edge goes to 4300K as light reflection from water droplets, snow and fog won't be as annoying to you, compared to whiter/bluer light.

Fog lights : a forum favorite are Xprite LED fog lights from Amazon. They offer white and amber kits. I have the white kit, it produces far superior light output than the factory halogen fog lights (low and wide), for low speed illumination :
(descriptin says Wrangler, but they are plug and play in 2014-2018 Cherokees. If you prefer fog lights for fog or bad weather, then... amber is the way to go for sure)
Thank you!

As for the luxury package, I do not believe so. I believe I just have the factory halogens which tonight I found absolutely terrible.

I will go for the 4300k color and the amber for the foglights.

Edit I don't mean to hijack the thread. But here is my window sticker if this helps at all. I don't know what I have compared to other packages that were available during the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Thank you!

As for the luxury package, I do not believe so. I believe I just have the factory halogens which tonight I found absolutely terrible.

I will go for the 4300k color and the amber for the foglights.

Edit I don't mean to hijack the thread. But here is my window sticker if this helps at all. I don't know what I have compared to other packages that were available during the build.
Thanks. Window sticker confirms you don't have the Luxury Group, so factory halogens it is. Bulbs are 9012, for 2014 and 2015 model years (and very early 2016s).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts