2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2014 Limited 4x4 3.2 liter with 155k miles had a meltdown. My mechanic said there is no compression in one cylinder. Needs a ring job plus...? He's proposing putting in a low mileage used engine from a wrecker. He hasn't found one but I've come across one on eBay. 37k miles, photo of donor car, apparently run-tested, $700 delivered. Would you go for it? Also found one at "CarPartsPlanet" for $1100 delivered. Thoughts?
Thanks
Kyle

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
My 2014 Limited 4x4 with 155k miles had a meltdown. My mechanic said there is no compression in one cylinder. Needs a ring job plus...? He's proposing putting in a low mileage used engine from a wrecker. He hasn't found one but I've come across one on eBay. 37k miles, photo of donor car, apparently run-tested, $700 delivered. Would you go for it? Also found one at "CarPartsPlanet" for $1100 delivered. Thoughts?
Thanks
Kyle
I guess it's better than nothing. Any kind of warranty???馃槑

Registered
would depend on the seller.. if they have 99.9% feedback and 1000+ I would definitely consider it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually want to provide more details around this... the car began to shudder badly on the highway returning from my weekend place. I had it towed to my mechanic who I trust and have used for 7-8 years. I'm not a mechanic but my understanding from him is that there is no compression in at least one cylinder. I'm not sure about any other issues. His suggestion, given the the mileage of the engine (155k miles) is that he drop in a low mileage used. Any comments around the shuddering issue? Misfires? Valves? It was not consuming oil and was running fine till it wasn't...

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I actually want to provide more details around this... the car began to shudder badly on the highway returning from my weekend place. I had it towed to my mechanic who I trust and have used for 7-8 years. I'm not a mechanic but my understanding from him is that there is no compression in at least one cylinder. I'm not sure about any other issues. His suggestion, given the the mileage of the engine (155k miles) is that he drop in a low mileage used. Any comments around the shuddering issue? Misfires? Valves? It was not consuming oil and was running fine till it wasn't...
Which engine do you have???馃槑

Registered
Sorry, I should have mentioned. 3.2L
Humm. If there is little or no compression in one or more cylinders, it could also be valve related, or valve seat. Either way, this is expensive repairs also... so finding a used engine to drop in might be the ticket.

The 3.2L (like the 3.6L Pentastar) is known for valvetrain / valve seat issues, so who knows. But my guess is you would've had misfire codes (check engine light) if valvetrain related..

Registered
My 2014 Limited 4x4 3.2 liter with 155k miles had a meltdown. My mechanic said there is no compression in one cylinder. Needs a ring job plus...? He's proposing putting in a low mileage used engine from a wrecker. He hasn't found one but I've come across one on eBay. 37k miles, photo of donor car, apparently run-tested, $700 delivered. Would you go for it? Also found one at "CarPartsPlanet" for $1100 delivered. Thoughts?
Thanks
Kyle
Try www.car-part.com to find an engine.

Registered
You could always buy the diesel they offered in the european market and see how well that lines up :)

Read Only
I don鈥檛 have any experience with car engines but quite a bit with Harley engines. No, I would absolutely not buy one off E-Bay. I want to know too much about the engine before I鈥檇 waste time/$$ installing it. Just my 2垄 馃槑

Registered
Spammer. Reported. Bye-bye.

Reactions: SkipW

Registered
Humm. If there is little or no compression in one or more cylinders, it could also be valve related, or valve seat. Either way, this is expensive repairs also... so finding a used engine to drop in might be the ticket.
So you suggest in such cases to go to the repair, or I've got something wrong? I'm not worried about the cost just wondering what would be best to do.

Registered
message the seller on ebay and see if there is a warranty on it, also when you buy parts from ebay a lot of times there is a warranty thing that pops up. I've purchased a lot of parts from ebay and never had a problem, however I have never purchased an engine or anything like that from there either. like posted above research the seller see what rating they have and check out any complaints. even a used motor from a salvage yard is kind of a guessing game, but most will stand behind there products if it blows apart soon after install. Most local junk yards will find a part for ya if they don't have one available as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts