2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at this one today
the front tow hooks are missing so I'm guessing it was towed behind an RV
anything special I should be looking at with a vehicle like this?
took a sneak peak in person in the rain this morning
rear tires are gone but the fronts are good. I would put a set of highway tires on it, for my purposes (don't really need a Trailhawk but it has everything else I do want)
I'm guessing the listed mileage includes all miles it was towed
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

this is inside the passenger side tow hook hole
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

from the dealer's ad
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Well, being a "toady" myself, I would say it's probably maybe sorta good.

1. The odometer miles are the driven miles. Toad miles don't record since the end of the mechanical odometer (many years ago). The dealer wouldn't know unless the previous owner told them. Then it's only as accurate as the previous owner's statement. Even with records there's no telling the actual miles towed (oops, I forgot about THAT trip).
2. If towed a lot, toads get a lot of wear on the brakes - assuming the previous owner complied with the law and had a tow brake installed. Many are portable so it may not be obvious if they did or not.
3. Toads don't get a lot of wear on the engine and transmission.
4. Toads do get a lot of wear from the PTU on down.
5. Many of the toad owners I know really don't abuse their vehicles. (I must be an exception. :)) They mostly have it just to get around once parked.
6. You can get tow hooks replaced relatively inexpensively.
7. There may be other "bonus wiring" like a battery charge line, toad brake safety disconnect, and tail lights. Shouldn't matter unless they are a self-install by a novice hacker.

The bottom line is it's like any other used vehicle except for the number of unknown miles on part of the drivetrain. If there are good maintenance records, that should be a clue on how well it was previously loved.

Good luck!

· Registered
4,595 Posts
If the front a rear tires are that different in diameter then I would be concerned about drivetrain damage.
5% difference seems to be the number so you may want to do the math.
It does have factory tow, that is a plus.
Looks like it has been in a lot of salt.
If you want something that will take a beating off road and not last very long, go for it.
Put on a lift kit and big tires and go for it.
It'll save your daily driver.

· Registered
805 Posts
as mentioned, tow miles don’t log
I’ve towed mine 30,000 miles and it has not effected tires or brakes adversely
begs the question, why rear tires are worn
are those tow hooks or is there actually a base plate for towing. If someone just slapped tow hooks on there to transport for sale, may have low tow miles
how many miles on odometer?
How does front facia look? Lots of tow miles can throw some rocks unless previous owner used a shield (I do)
tough call….would definitely negotiate lower price due to unknown tow

Reactions: rumrunner

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank guys just got back from a short test drive & convo
fyi - I'm looking to replace my daily driver
this isn't the car for me
don't care for the 2.0T but I could get used to it (I'm used to my 2.4)
don't need ADII or a Trailhawk, I'm ver satisfied w/ ADI
initial turkey talk showed they would have to come up on my trade value & I'd have to come up w/ more that $7K in cash, cuz I want my monthly to be $200.
funny how they throw monthly payments down w/o showed %s for the loans
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

· Registered
805 Posts
looks like about 9% interest
WOW! only $3500 on trade

· Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,387 Posts
Mine was a Toad when I bought it. I've beat on it hard over the last 2 years, and its still running great. Bought at 34K. Just rolled over 70K.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,785 Posts
rear tires are gone but the fronts are good. I would put a set of highway tires on it
I would make any dealer that I'm buying a used car from put 4 brand new tires on. You have to negotiate like a pro...Two good tires, and two not so good is kind of a red flag though, unless there was some kind of issue. I would request a Carfax, or similar vehicle report on any pre owned vehicle I was really interested in before any negotiating starts though, even if you have to pay for it on your own. Most legit dealers will do that for you. If they don't, then that's kind of another red flag...😎

· Premium Member
874 Posts
thank guys just got back from a short test drive & convo
fyi - I'm looking to replace my daily driver
this isn't the car for me
don't care for the 2.0T but I could get used to it (I'm used to my 2.4)
QUOTE]

@rumrunner what didn't you like about the 2.0T?

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey @rumrunner, are you selling your 2014? I'm looking for one for my son. Are you in the Boston/Cambridge area?
yes like my signature says 25 miles northwest of boston
as for selling, maybe, probably, depends on what mechanic does tomorrow & timing of finding a replacement
so lets stay in touch

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what didn't you like about the 2.0?
gas mileage
unknown reliability
known reliability of my 2.4
something I read & heard about tweaks they made in the 2.4 for 2019
today, driving the 2.0 on local roads, in the rain/snow wasn't a good test but it felt/sounded like the engine was revving higher than I'm used to. maybe it's just something to get used to

· Premium Member
874 Posts
gas mileage
unknown reliability
known reliability of my 2.4
something I read & heard about tweaks they made in the 2.4 for 2019
today, driving the 2.0 on local roads, in the rain/snow wasn't a good test but it felt/sounded like the engine was revving higher than I'm used to. maybe it's just something to get used to
Only reason I asked is because I came from a 2.4. I find the 2.0T is head and shoulders above the 2.4, except for fuel mileage because I cant keep my foot from mashing the go pedal, but I still get 20 mpg in winter, mostly city driving.

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only reason I asked is because I came from a 2.4. I find the 2.0T is head and shoulders above the 2.4, except for fuel mileage because I cant keep my foot from mashing the go pedal, but I still get 20 mpg in winter, mostly city driving.
thank you that's good to know!

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think this is the situation

2019 Limited models don't have the combination of what I am looking for such as
  • 2.4L engine
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Keyless Start
  • Navigation System
  • Remote Start
  • Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
  • Bluetooth
  • Premium Sound System
  • USB Port
  • Sunroof/Moonroof
  • Backup Camera
  • Blind Spot Monitor
  • Brake Assist
  • Stability Control
  • OEM hitch
to find all that in a 2019 I would need to get the 2.0T

to stay w/ the 2.4 I would need to give something up. makes me want to just keep & keep fixing my current unit

OR ... buy a base model (2014-18) w/ very low miles, at a reasonable price, because it will have the essence of what I love about the Cherokee

· Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey @rumrunner, are you selling your 2014? I'm looking for one for my son. Are you in the Boston/Cambridge area?
I'm out Route 20/117 near Stow/Sudbury
you are welcome to come check it out & see if it suits you
we can maybe meet in Waltham at one of those corporate office parks. I used to work on Totten Pond Road. you can drive it around the office park or even Route 128/95 which is right there
sometime next week would be OK, I guess PM me through this site?
if not, no worries
right now it needs a right rear suspension knuckle which might cost $2,500

· Registered
8 Posts
looking at this one today
the front tow hooks are missing so I'm guessing it was towed behind an RV
anything special I should be looking at with a vehicle like this?
took a sneak peak in person in the rain this morning
rear tires are gone but the fronts are good. I would put a set of highway tires on it, for my purposes (don't really need a Trailhawk but it has everything else I do want)
I'm guessing the listed mileage includes all miles it was towed
View attachment 222176
this is inside the passenger side tow hook hole
View attachment 222177
from the dealer's ad
View attachment 222178
I'm a Jeep rookie, but I'm getting ready to put towing base plate on my new 22 TH. To do this I have to remove 2 structural parts of the bumper (horns?) that the base plates take the place of (the red hooks actuall have a long bolt that passes thru those horns. Not sure, but it looks to me that these parts were not replace when the towing base plates were removed, which would seem to weaken the bumper in any front end impact.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts