2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would do some social distancing under the hood today. I need to reconnect about 6 individual wires that came undone in from a squirrel's AirBnB visit.

I think I will keep the nubs in the plastic clip connector, then use small crimping connectors to rejoin them. I will likely need additional wiring so I need to know what gauge these are?

Any help on gauging is appreciated.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Being on the end of a harness run, I would be inclined to find one in a salvage yard I could snip.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
One of my wire strippers has openings for each size of wire, you could use this to determine the AWG.
The wire should fit in the splice just right (a technical term) then use a wire that matches the splice size.
I would say 22 AWG should work fine for these short wire runs.
Probably buy rolls of 16, 18, 20 and 22 AWG and in-line splices for all the wire sizes.
Stagger the splices if you can so you don't have one big bulge of splices.
You could solder the connections and put heat shrink over the splice, wouldn't bulge as much as splices.
If you don't know how to solder then forget it, this not the place to learn.
By the time you get done you will be an expert wire person.
Get some larger diameter sheathing to pretty it all up.
Good luck and post pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my wire strippers has openings for each size of wire, you could use this to determine the AWG.
The wire should fit in the splice just right (a technical term) then use a wire that matches the splice size.
I would say 22 AWG should work fine for these short wire runs.
Probably buy rolls of 16, 18, 20 and 22 AWG and in-line splices for all the wire sizes.
Stagger the splices if you can so you don't have one big bulge of splices.
You could solder the connections and put heat shrink over the splice, wouldn't bulge as much as splices.
If you don't know how to solder then forget it, this not the place to learn.
By the time you get done you will be an expert wire person.
Get some larger diameter sheathing to pretty it all up.
Good luck and post pictures.
Thanks Sanghill,

I think I do have a wire stripper tool around somewhere. Good idea on staggering the connections as I don't want a giant tape ball right next to the clip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being on the end of a harness run, I would be inclined to find one in a salvage yard I could snip.
So on the salvage car basically cut the whole bunch about 5 inches from the clip? Then I have plenty of wire to work with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. Pulled the clip out get started. Ordered some 22, 20, 18 GA wiring, heat shrink butt connectors, and a stripper crimping tool.

Interestingly, 9 wires go into the connection, but only 5 come out on the other side. I wonder what options I did not get such that 4 wires do not make the trip to their would-be components. Anyway, I plan to wire only the 5 that matter. More to come once Amazon delivers.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Not sure why you are ordering wire. I was hoping the harness from the salvage yard would be long enough.
Possibly consider in line crimp splices.
I am sure you have figured it out so don't mind me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought I would do some social distancing under the hood today. I need to reconnect about 6 individual wires that came undone in from a squirrel's AirBnB visit.
View attachment 210650
View attachment 210651
I think I will keep the nubs in the plastic clip connector, then use small crimping connectors to rejoin them. I will likely need additional wiring so I need to know what gauge these are?

Any help on gauging is appreciated.
i would solder all the connections you do heat tape and electrical tape everything so you dont have any future issues of corrosion or disconnects.
Then go get some Bounce dryer sheets and tie them onto several places under the hood and change them 2-3 times a year to keep rodents out from under your hood. original Irish Spring bar soap works too. they dont like the smell of either of them, thats what i do and the chipmunks dont go there anymore. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would solder all the connections you do heat tape and electrical tape everything so you dont have any future issues of corrosion or disconnects.
Then go get some Bounce dryer sheets and tie them onto several places under the hood and change them 2-3 times a year to keep rodents out from under your hood. original Irish Spring bar soap works too. they dont like the smell of either of them, thats what i do and the chipmunks dont go there anymore. good luck
Great idea on the Bounce dryer sheets, I will try that for sure!

As for soldering anything, that would require some purchasing and new skills. I already have several other hobbies that I am mediocre in, so I think I will crimp the connections as best as possible.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure why you are ordering wire. I was hoping the harness from the salvage yard would be long enough.
Possibly consider in line crimp splices.
I am sure you have figured it out so don't mind me.
No worries, I appreciate the ideas. I live just outside DC so salvage yards are a hike, thus the wiring order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can get crimp connectors with shrink tubing on the. Crimp, test, then heat that way you don’t get corrosion and they stay tight. Simple to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is the plan. There will be 10 connections.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I looked at the harness and can't figure out where it goes.
What doesn't work when those wires are broken?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took about 15 minutes to install. This fixed the fan running at full, AC temperature, airbags warning, and maybe some radio weirdness. Forgot to check if this fixed my windshield washer not spraying issue (dealer diagnosed as TIPM). Will likely put some sheathing/conduit around wiring at some point, but hey it's a jeep.

Need to plan the next fix, hmmm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the harness and can't figure out where it goes.
What doesn't work when those wires are broken?
Sanghill, the radiator fans go full blast, AC is not cool, airbag warning indicator on, and the radio acting strangely. All of these issues went away when I re-installed the wiring.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Congratulations, mission success.
Thanks for the information.
Reference Post #16: One day I tried to use the windshield washer and it didn't work. The rear washer worked so the pump was ok.
It was below freezing so I thought the alcohol evaporated in the nozzle and froze.
Operated the front washer several times and finally the right nozzle work.
Eventually the left nozzle just leaked a little washer fluid on the hood and then more eventually it worked ok.
I suspect there is an anti-drain back valve someplace and maybe it stuck closed. Never did figure it out.
Also noticed the washer hose is between the hood insulation and the hood so engine heat can not thaw ice in the hose.
I was using 20 below zero F washer solvent so it should not have frozen.
Not sure if this is your situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts