2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
Does your wife have an Android? And would you mind adding the link for the adapter? I've looked on Amazon, there are so many on there, I'm having a hard time figuring out which one works for Androids. Amazon has so many knock offs, I rather go with one that someone has used and know it works. Many thanks!
The ONLY Android Adaptor is this:
Front port (shorter length is best...) For AA this is a great (and ONLY) solution, I have it and it is working perfectly!
Haven't tried in center console, but it should work...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does your wife have an Android? And would you mind adding the link for the adapter? I've looked on Amazon, there are so many on there, I'm having a hard time figuring out which one works for Androids. Amazon has so many knock offs, I rather go with one that someone has used and know it works. Many thanks!
She has an iPhone and the adapter only works with an iPhone.

Dave

·
Registered
445 Posts
The ONLY Android Adaptor is this:
Can someone explain this to me? The Android OS has almost three times the market share of the iPhone. Android users drive cars like everyone else. But while there seem to be multiple, commercially produced aftermarket wireless CarPlay adapters, the only current aftermarket wireless option for Android Auto is someone's basement project.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It is hardly a basement product. Emil Borconi-Szedressy is very highly regarded in the Android community.
It is just so new that the far-east hasn't had time to ignore the patents and clone it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is hardly a basement product. Emil Borconi-Szedressy is very highly regarded in the Android community.
It is just so new that the far-east hasn't had time to ignore the patents and clone it.
Why should copying be necessary at all? The Android market is huge. Why haven't multiple electronics companies developed their own independent solutions? Why was crowd-funding necessary for Android phones but not for the iPhone?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It is a lot easier to develop for one phone/os compatibility (iPhone) than it is for the dozens of Android manufacturers/skins out there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is a lot easier to develop for one phone/os compatibility (iPhone) than it is for the dozens of Android manufacturers/skins out there.
I appreciate the difference to which you are alluding, but:

1. Mr. Borconi-Szedressy was able to create a broadly compatible adapter with nothing but Kickstarter funding.

2. The existing OEM wireless Android Auto systems are broadly compatible with Android phones.

This suggest that the technical challenge is not really that great for skilled developers and engineers with decent R&D support.

Moreover, even if the job were too tough for some reason, Samsung alone has hardware market share that is comparable to Apple's. Why haven't the electronics companies said, "Listen, producing a wireless AA adapter that will work with all or most phones is a pain, so we've limited ourselves to making one that works with Samsung phones"? The financial incentives for doing that should be about the same as for making wireless CarPlay adapters.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
LOL, Then you should be arguing with Samsung or the other big electronics companies, not me.
I was never defending the lack of corporate investment in an adaptor, just lauding the folks that have actually made it happen without 'big' money, just with folks like us.

I actually agree that Apple, Google, Samsung, and others should have done this themselves, they probably did a cost/benefit analysis, and said 'meh'...

I bet Emil and Chiel even approached some of them, before they decided to crowd-fund the production themselves (they've had the code working since 2018, and a prototype since early 2019)...

At one point, there was only one adaptor for Carplay, and it hasn't been out that long. And we all know that Apple doesn't like to make anything that won't give at least a 100% markup on their investment.
The few adaptors for CarPlay (many are just relabeled, or knock-offs) are all made by little known companies as well, and none are officially licensed.

I think the big guys are just waiting for the auto manufacturers to catch up to the technology. And they could care less about vehicles that are already on the road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
FWIW, when I was looking at the Carplay adapters they all looked like the same product with different branding. I bought the Carlin one because I found some reviews on it.

Also, after having used the unit for a month now I have noticed some idioscrencies in the way the unit works.

1. When you first get into the car with the iPhone and start the engine it immediately connects to Carplay. If you leave the phone in the car when you get out (shut the engine off) then get back in and start the car the phone reconnects via Bluetooth and I have not found away to get Carplay to reconnect without powering down and getting out with the phone and back in.

2. If you are using wireless Carplay and want to plug in the phone to a USB port for charging you get a message do you want to switch phones and it gives you a choice of a generic "iPhone" and "Debs iPhone" (name of my wife's phone). Doesn't make a difference which one you select carplay is not interrupted and the phone charges. Unplug it and nothing changes other than the battery icon doesn't show charging.

3. The only way I can get uConnect to find my Android phone is to unplug the wireless carplay adapter.

Dave

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
255 Posts
Thanks for all the updates I’m gonna keep waiting out and see how well it works in the long run. I’m OK with the cable for now

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Can someone explain this to me? The Android OS has almost three times the market share of the iPhone. Android users drive cars like everyone else. But while there seem to be multiple, commercially produced aftermarket wireless CarPlay adapters, the only current aftermarket wireless option for Android Auto is someone's basement project.
Because Apple rules.

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
One thing...you might want to check out the Waze app instead of Google maps. It's "Police Reported Ahead" feature can come in pretty handy! ;-)
[/QUOTE]
I prefer WAZE as well. However I can't access the WAZE app through CarPlay when I have my iPhone connected. How do you make that work? Please share.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
255 Posts
One thing...you might want to check out the Waze app instead of Google maps. It's "Police Reported Ahead" feature can come in pretty handy! ;-)
I prefer WAZE as well. However I can't access the WAZE app through CarPlay when I have my iPhone connected. How do you make that work? Please share.
[/QUOTE]
works for me. Might need to open it once to setup (on your iPhone) before getting in your car

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Google "waze on carplay", Seems to be some pretty good instructions. (former iOS/CarPlay user here, now Android)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ok I waited 3 months and now I have the carlintoair dongle. So far so good. With one exception.

If you plug into the usb port under the center console (the one that I think is always powered even when the car is off) then your car play works basically instantly every time you start up your vehicle. The downside is that if you are doing something like on a call for example, your stereo will stay turned on showing the call until the call ends. That means in my case if I am on the call I can get home, park my car, go inside, and my stereo is still running lol. Might also be true of things like playing songs, navigation, etc. I haven't tested yet. Seems pretty easy to drain your battery by mistake this way. If your phone disconnects from the wifi dongle then you would be fine.

The other quirk I noticed is that if you plug in a power cable to charge your phone (plugged into the car like normal) while already connected to the car with the dongle for wireless carplay, the car detects it and prompts you (a new car play device was plugged in. Would you like to switch to it?). And I have to hit no on the screen. Not a big deal to me.

Lag wise it seems fine I don't notice any lag that is making it a problem to use. I haven't had a chance to compare the sound quality to know if the sound is better or worse over wifi.

Reactions: ArizonaFred

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ok after leaving the car overnight when I got in the car today my phone did have to re-connect to the bluetooth dongle before it connected again. Not sure if that was because it was sitting overnight or because I just upgraded my phone last night.

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
If you kept your phone in your pocket would it work? The problem I find even with wired carplay is that depending on what I'm doing it will require me to unlock my phone first before the app in car play will work. I am mainly interested in this so that I can leave in my pocket.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Multimedia

I see that your post is 3 months old, did you figure this out yet?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
fwiw - I use wireless CarPlay (aftermarket radio) & when I want to charge it, I use an accessory to usb power adapter, up front there. this way, I don't interrupt the wireless connection. it's just simpler. the less fidgeting while driving, the better

21 - 40 of 43 Posts