2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently experienced torrential rain and turned my wipers on high. when that happened, after a minute the driver wiper slowly started a knocking sound against the metal that houses the windshield signifying that the wiper itself is over-extended.

I corrected the issue by stopping the arm/blade by using my hand to stop the blade from hitting the metal. This temporarily corrected the issue.

It has since happened again, so i figure i have to pop the plastic cap off of the joint that connects the arm to the wiper motor, and tighten the nut or bolt.

my question is ... has anyone experienced this? did i just get a brand new vehicle that had a loose bolt?

it is not only annoying to have the paint scratched on the car to the left of the windshield, but also dangerous bc the wipers dont function properly in rain.

any experience or input is appreciated. happy new year!!!

:grin:

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Probably shipped without mounted wipers and installed by dealer during prep.

· Registered
2 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me..... it was a heavy snow fall and I started the jeep and my wipers came on and then the driverside wiper would not work. When the arm is lifted off the windshield it can move freely back and forth. I'm not sure if I need to go to a dealer to fix or if I can do it myself.... thoughts anyone??????

· Administrator
7,675 Posts
Did you start the Jeep with the wipers on? Was the windshield packed with snow? Possibly you stripped the wiper or caused it to loosen by design so as not to strip. Pull the cap and see if the nut is loose, you can then reposition the wiper and tighten the nut. If no luck, then a trip to the dealer to fix.

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes I did start it with snow on the windshield... But I found the problem. It was exactly what you said. The nut was loose. All I had to do was remove the black cap on the arm and tighten up the nut!!! Good as new!!! Is this a feature that Jeep has come up with as not to strip the insides? If so, that is great!!! I'm so happy it was an easy fix. Thanks!!!!!

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Yes I did start it with snow on the windshield... But I found the problem. It was exactly what you said. The nut was loose. All I had to do was remove the black cap on the arm and tighten up the nut!!! Good as new!!! Is this a feature that Jeep has come up with as not to strip the insides? If so, that is great!!! I'm so happy it was an easy fix. Thanks!!!!!
Not a new (or on purpose) feature, it shouldn't have done that. The bolt must have been loose. Most wipers are bolted on nowadays, with very few exceptions. I install auto glass for a living, so I take them all apart on a regular basis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
Rear wiper arm removal

Does anyone know how to remove the rear wiper arm on a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo? A linkage on the garage door caught it as it closed and pushed it down and now the wiper arm just hangs loosely straight down.

· Registered
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 4x4
5 Posts
I recently experienced torrential rain and turned my wipers on high. when that happened, after a minute the driver wiper slowly started a knocking sound against the metal that houses the windshield signifying that the wiper itself is over-extended.

I corrected the issue by stopping the arm/blade by using my hand to stop the blade from hitting the metal. This temporarily corrected the issue.

It has since happened again, so i figure i have to pop the plastic cap off of the joint that connects the arm to the wiper motor, and tighten the nut or bolt.

my question is ... has anyone experienced this? did i just get a brand new vehicle that had a loose bolt?

it is not only annoying to have the paint scratched on the car to the left of the windshield, but also dangerous bc the wipers dont function properly in rain.

any experience or input is appreciated. happy new year!!!

😁
This has now happened to me four separate times (once in may 2022, again in November 2022, december 2022 and is now currently happening again) - I have tightened the bolt and readjusted the wiper arm, replaced the entire wiper arm (november) and it continues to do this, to the point that the driver side wiper becomes inoperable sometimes while I am driving. I am at my wits end with this as I do not know how to repair it! I just had my oil changed at the dealership in Bozeman and they marked "Checked and OK" on the multipoint inspection, though I can tell you it is NOT OKAY! Has anyone been able to successfully solve this issue, and if so, how???

· Registered
4,567 Posts
Usually there are fine splines on the wiper motor shaft that press fit into the hole in the wiper arm.
When you hold the wiper arm in its correct location and tighten the nut the wiper arm should pull down on the shaft and be very tight.
There is probably a torque specification for the nut so you don't strip the threads. See below:
Are there still splines on the wiper motor shaft or have they been worn away or no longer deep enough?
Might need a new wiper arm. The hole in the arm may have been reamed out so it can no longer get a grip on the wiper motor shaft.
If the wiper motor shaft no longer has useful splines the wiper motor will need to be replace.
So, I have never had your problem. The problem I have had is that the wiper arm is attached so tightly that I can't get it off.
Since you like to be a shade tree mechanic I suggest you buy a Hayne's Repair Manual. It has instructions for most things you are likely to do.
It is also useful if you have insomnia.
Searched this Forum and didn't find a good answer. I did find the torque for the nut though:
Front: 15 ft-lb (180 in-lb)
Rear: 80 in-lb
This is the video for the old Cherokee, it may or may not help:

· Registered
2014 TH 3.2, 2" lift, 1" spacers, Steelies
261 Posts
This has now happened to me four separate times (once in may 2022, again in November 2022, december 2022 and is now currently happening again) - I have tightened the bolt and readjusted the wiper arm, replaced the entire wiper arm (november) and it continues to do this, to the point that the driver side wiper becomes inoperable sometimes while I am driving. I am at my wits end with this as I do not know how to repair it! I just had my oil changed at the dealership in Bozeman and they marked "Checked and OK" on the multipoint inspection, though I can tell you it is NOT OKAY! Has anyone been able to successfully solve this issue, and if so, how???
If the splines on the motor shaft are worn it may be possible using a fine drill bit to drill through the wiper blade into the motor shaft a bit to be able to use a set screw. Not official of course but just a thought if you can't replace the motor for whatever reason at this time.

Best regards.

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Circle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts