2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Funny you mention that. You must've seen forecast for the prairies or further out West, because in the East... it's bloody warm. We're hitting 73F today, has been at or near 70 for almost a week here, very warm for this time of the year.

Was discussing batteries with a forum member a few hours ago from Alberta, they are freezing there.

It'll get cooler here by the end of the week, not before. I usually swap my tires late October, so getting there. Since I do them at home, I can wait for just the right time..
oh ah sorry, didn't recall where you were specifically. jealous you have a set of wheels for the winters

not to hijack, but SkipW was nice enough to dig out his OEM alloys to perhaps sell to me due to corrosion on mine, as you might recall from that other thread. I wasn't able to make a good offer, I hope he doesn't hate me ... anyway, instead of straight up replacing mine with his, since his has some corrosion as well I was thinking of putting my winters on my crummy wheels cuz so what if I make them worse & put my current summer tires on his since they are nicer, might as well keep them as healthy as possible, as long as possible. but honestly, that's so much juggling, my head is spinning. got my eye on some KLs near me at a used lot & they all have steel wheels. that would be simple to dump everything I have & convert over to 17"s

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
oh ah sorry, didn't recall where you were specifically. jealous you have a set of wheels for the winters

not to hijack, but SkipW was nice enough to dig out his OEM alloys to perhaps sell to me due to corrosion on mine, as you might recall from that other thread. I wasn't able to make a good offer, I hope he doesn't hate me ... anyway, instead of straight up replacing mine with his, since his has some corrosion as well I was thinking of putting my winters on my crummy wheels cuz so what if I make them worse & put my current summer tires on his since they are nicer, might as well keep them as healthy as possible, as long as possible. but honestly, that's so much juggling, my head is spinning. got my eye on some KLs near me at a used lot & they all have steel wheels. that would be simple to dump everything I have & convert over to 17"s
Hmmm. SkipW has a TH with 17''s though, right ?

I kinda understand your predicament. You have a bunch of decent 18'' tires so going 17'' would be... difficult, in many ways. Maybe... you could sell some/all of your 18'' tires, and start fresh with 17s (wheels and tires). You 'd have an easier time finding both wheels and tires in 17'', likely cheaper too.

I'd try to avoid machined TH wheels in winter, because they'll corrode easy.

Wish I could say with 100% confidence that your actual 18'' wheels won't leak over the next winter...

When you say the used KLs have steel wheels, do you mean the painted ones like on Sport trim, or generic black steelies ?

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
Funny you mention that. You must've seen forecast for the prairies or further out West, because in the East... it's bloody warm. We're hitting 73F today, has been at or near 70 for almost a week here, very warm for this time of the year.

Was discussing batteries with a forum member a few hours ago from Alberta, they are freezing there.

It'll get cooler here by the end of the week, not before. I usually swap my tires late October, so getting there. Since I do them at home, I can wait for just the right time..
I'm sending the snow your way Mark!!!😎

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Hmmm. SkipW has a TH with 17''s though, right ?
I kinda understand your predicament. You have a bunch of decent 18'' tires so going 17'' would be... difficult, in many ways. Maybe... you could sell some/all of your 18'' tires, and start fresh with 17s (wheels and tires). You 'd have an easier time finding both wheels and tires in 17'', likely cheaper too.
I'd try toavoid machined TH wheels in winter, because they'll corrode easy.
Wish I could say with 100% confidence that your actual 18'' wheels won't leak over the next winter...
When you say the used KLs have steel wheels, do you mean the painted ones like on Sport trim, or generic black steelies ?
he said he had a Limited, maybe he has 2? or from a past unit? changing sizes right now is not affordable. the KLs near me w/ steel wheels look like this
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

but I would have to add
roof rails
hitch
sunroof
radio w/ nav
& who knows what else ... lol

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
he said he had a Limited, maybe he has 2? or from a past unit? changing sizes right now is not affordable. the KLs near me w/ steel wheels look like this
View attachment 216756
but I would have to add
roof rails
hitch
sunroof
radio w/ nav
& who knows what else ... lol
Yeah that's a Sport model with 17'' steelies.

Hmmm. Finding cheap 18'' steel wheels might not be easy either.

Go for one more winter with the 18''s and keep your fingers crossed ? Then re-evaluate in the spring ?

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
We made it to 26C/78F today... probably a record :-/

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
We made it to 26C/78F today... probably a record :-/
Dang! We had a high of 70" today, and I'm down South. Next 7 days, were are
looking at high 60's low 70's during the day, 40's-50's at night..

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I think I'd try to find 4 Trailhawk spare tire steelies. Of course they're probably like $300 a piece from the dealer...😎

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I think I'd try to find 4 Trailhawk spare tire steelies. Of course they're probably like $300 a piece from the dealer...😎
I picked up a steelie for my wife's 2018 from Amazon for under
a $100. I had to replace the stupid donut. The one time she used
the donut she got a 4x4 error, not cool!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I picked up a steelie for my wife's 2018 from Amazon for under
a $100. I had to replace the stupid donut. The one time she used
the donut she got a 4x4 error, not cool!
oh interesting THANK YOU
what size wheels does it have?
so this was for your spare?
so now you have a full size spare?
is the steel wheel 17" or 18"?
I don't think an 18" steel wheel is available, but I could be wrong
got a link for what you bought

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
oh interesting THANK YOU
what size wheels does it have?
so this was for your spare?
so now you have a full size spare?
is the steel wheel 17" or 18"?
I don't think an 18" steel wheel is available, but I could be wrong
got a link for what you bought
It's a Lat+ so it has 225/65-17
Yeah I replaced the donut with a full size spare. If it was snowing
out and got a flat I didn't want her to have a 4x4 error....

Looks like it went up in price a little, but still free shipping.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It's a Lat+ so it has 225/65-17
Yeah I replaced the donut with a full size spare. If it was snowing
out and got a flat I didn't want her to have a 4x4 error....
Looks like it went up in price a little, but still free shipping.
thank you, I did the same, but w/ 18". had to use the pare for a college p/u fully loaded for 200 miles. was GLAD to have it!

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Reactions: XJ99

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts

·
Registered
4,938 Posts

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Those would be perfect for someone with a nice set of 235/65 Blizzak DM-V2's mounted up...😎

21 - 40 of 42 Posts