2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2014 KL that was previously owned in New England. There is a lot of surface on the underside, and I was considering having the rust sanded off and undercoating applied. However, I have seen many threads where 'experts' say that undercoating is not recommended. They site very vague reasons, or just that they don't think it is a good idea. Having grown up on the east coast, I don't understand why not.

Is there any real reason not to undercoat? (not just a preference)

·
Super Moderator
7,367 Posts
I think most concerns with undercoating is that if water gets past it...a chip, a scratch, or something similar...then water is trapped against the frame, underbody, pans, etc and will never dry but continue to rust.

If you are concerned about rust on the underside, how about something like fluid film (basically modified oil) that will saturate and repel moisture?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It’s not like we are living in the 1970’s anymore and your car will dissolve before your very eyes. Manufacturers have come a long way with regards to protecting our vehicle. Most of the vehicles I see that have serious issues with rust have questionable backgrounds such as being underwater during hurricanes and such. Even in those instances rustproofing would not help since the saltwater has already had a chance to react with the metal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I undercoated my Jeep, and all my previous vehicles. Living in Nova Scotia which salts and brines the roads 5 months of the year I found it helps with soundproofing and rust control. Never had an engine light come on as a result of undercoating either.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldnt use an "undercoating", esp on a used vehicle. Oilspray type is fine though and works well if you get it sprayed every fall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldnt use an "undercoating", esp on a used vehicle. Oilspray type is fine though and works well if you get it sprayed every fall.
Is undercoating not recommended because (as was said earlier) the saltwater has already already started corroding the metal?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Is undercoating not recommended because (as was said earlier) the saltwater has already already started corroding the metal?
somewhat, but even after its undercoated and the undercoating starts to deteriorate it can cause more rusting than having nothing by holding moisture/salt etc on the metal.

Everyone here in the salt belt that oilspray/fluid film/etc.. their undercarriage is in better condition vs nothing or conventional undercoating that is rusting underneath.

• The downsides of oilspraying is mess and possibly smell(for awhile) if using fluidfilm or another "aromatic" product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts