2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I`ve bought a Jeep Cherokee North 2015 3.2L back in 2016 and have been experiencing this whining noise coming from underneath the car since a few months now. I hear it as soon as I start moving my jeep but not when I`m immobile. This leads me to suspect the center bearing or the driveshaft. When I`m on the highway reaching 100km/hr the whining sound will be audible but after reaching 100km/hr the whining starts to fade until it completely disappear. I wont hear it as long as I stay over 90km/hr. As soon as I drop to 90 or lower the whining starts immediately as if the bearing stopped moving and engages at that speed. If im driving 100km/hr+ on cruise control and decide to accelerate quickly on the highway as to pass someone on the fast lane the whining will come back and stay but eventually will fade away and stop as I mentionned before, as long as I stay above 90km/hr. Cold weather makes it louder. Sometimes if I`m lucky there will be no whining sound when im driving under 100km/hr but 95% of the time the sound is there. Im a subaru guy and this is my first jeep, im not familiar how the drivetrain works. If someone could help me clarify this so I can fix the **** before winter comes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lots of threads on here about this but sounds like your carrier bearing is wearing on the drive shaft. A common problem apparently and one that happened to me, with similar symptoms to the ones you're suffering. It comes and goes as the AWD system sends/stops sending power to the rear wheels. In cold weather (below 5°C, I think) the Cherokee is always sending some power to the rears. In warmer weather it'll die down as your settle to a cruise and the AWD switches to FWD.

As I undestand it you have to replace the entire driveshaft - the bearing is not available as a stand alone piece. Not sure where you are in Canada but I'm in Edmonton and was charged ~$1,200 to replace it at an independent shop about a year ago with an OEM driveshaft (don't believe there are any non-mopar drive shafts on the market, or there wasn't a year ago anyway).

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had this problem on my last car. I just lived with it since it didn't do anything but make an annoying whistle noise usually in cold weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts