2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. I work at a facility in a flood zone. After heavy rains, the parking lots can flood 6-9 inches. The fan makes a whining noise upon starting and throughout driving slow until I get to higher ground. A few days ago, the water was up to the rockers which is higher than it’s ever been. I’ve never been off-roading. Is this a normal noise when in deep water?
The attached pic was from last summer when I first experienced the noise. It was higher earlier this week.

Thanks
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
548 Posts
The fan in the KL is electric, so you're likely hearing the serpentine belt instead of the fan. IIRC, the max water fording depth for the TH is 20" @10/mph, so 6-9" should not be a big deal. It's possible that some water is splashing onto the belt causing it to squeal until it dries. Have any of the skid plates been removed from underneath? How old is the belt and have you visually inspected it? The 2019 models were being produced in spring of 2018, so it's conceivable that the belt already has over 4-years of use on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan in the KL is electric, so you're likely hearing the serpentine belt instead of the fan. IIRC, the max water fording depth for the TH is 20" @10/mph, so 6-9" should not be a big deal. It's possible that some water is splashing onto the belt causing it to squeal until it dries. Have any of the skid plates been removed from underneath? How old is the belt and have you visually inspected it? The 2019 models were being produced in spring of 2018, so it's conceivable that the belt already has over 4-years of use on it.
Thanks. The skid plate is still there. You’re correct about the belt. It doesn’t squeal but it is original. I have a new one I was going to install until I learned on YouTube it was a job and a half. I’ll definitely make time to change it then see what happens next time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I bet its just the belt getting wet making noise. Doesn't mean the belt is bad. Most serpentine belts will get noisy when they get wet. The oem belt is high quality and modern serpentine belts do not wear out quickly like belts 30 years ago. Iirc in the manual the first inspect/replace of the belt if needed is 10 years 150k miles. Just make sure mud and gunk isn't getting on it and behind all the pulley's since that will cause added wear to bearings and such.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
Hi,
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. I work at a facility in a flood zone. After heavy rains, the parking lots can flood 6-9 inches. The fan makes a whining noise upon starting and throughout driving slow until I get to higher ground. A few days ago, the water was up to the rockers which is higher than it’s ever been. I’ve never been off-roading. Is this a normal noise when in deep water?
The attached pic was from last summer when I first experienced the noise. It was higher earlier this week.

Thanks View attachment 220168
Holy crap!!! I'd be finding a different place to park. Do you have to wear waders to get to and from the parking lot???😳😎

1 - 6 of 6 Posts