2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a 2" lift soon and have a few questions about getting a wheel alignment. I was considering going to somewhere like firestone so I can get the lifetime alignment deal, and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. I was reading on their website that they are also able to do the Safety System Alignment. I have the technology package, so I assume I will also need the that part of the alignment as well. Does anyone know if the Safety System Alignment is covered with the lifetime alignments, or is that a separate add on? Also, is that something that needs to be done everything a tire alignment is done, or just after the lift, or is it even needed at all?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I didn't know that they did that. I have recently been thinking about an ADAS alignment due to my oversized tires. Thought I would have to go to the dealer to do it. I'm not sure if I trust firestone to align my adaptive cruise control or lane assist stuff...

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. I understand about alignments and what all they change. My questions is really geared more toward the ADAS alignment and 1.) if its needed, and 2.) if its covered with something like firestones lifetime alignment deals. The ADAS is suppose to realign cameras/sensors for things like emergency braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control etc. A normal alignment only can technically make that stuff stop working, or not be as accurate.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know that they did that. I have recently been thinking about an ADAS alignment due to my oversized tires. Thought I would have to go to the dealer to do it. I'm not sure if I trust firestone to align my adaptive cruise control or lane assist stuff...
I agree Firestone would not be my first choice, but if I can get it done for lifetime, it would probably be worth it. I'm guessing you have lifted yours and not had any issues? That is also part of what I'm wondering, if it even needs to be done. If its not going to mess it up the tech stuff (mainly adaptive cruise as I use that all the time), I just won't worry about it right now. Also not sure if its a, do it once when you lift it, and then the rest of the time it should be fine sort of thing.

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
142 Posts
I use Firestone for alignment and did the lifetime. I have never had any issues with it all in the quality of work or the alignment itself. I have learned though you have to find a Firestone where the people are good and then you are set. I'm lucky to have two within about 20 minutes of me.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeR.

·
Registered
142 Posts
And as far as adaptive cruise control it is impossible to flash new tire sizes on the kl so it's always gonna be a little off. The lane keep assist has nothing to do with wheel alignment. It is an independent adaptive system so no need to calibrate. The only thing you need to adjust after the lift is just wheel alignment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And as far as adaptive cruise control it is impossible to flash new tire sizes on the kl so it's always gonna be a little off. The lane keep assist has nothing to do with wheel alignment. It is an independent adaptive system so no need to calibrate. The only thing you need to adjust after the lift is just wheel alignment.

Thanks. One of the ones around me has good reviews, so I'll probably check them out in the next few days. I figured I'm going to need at least two alignments, one for lift, and the next when I replace the struts, plus I'll get tweaked every so often off-roading, so the lifetime is a big plus. I know I can't fix the speedo over the stock tires, but I also run OBD2aa, so I can just put it up either the manually corrected, or GPS speed on the Uconnect. It really shouldn't be off by two much. It's already about 1% too fast, so I'll probably settle about 3% slow in the end. I read in some of the other forms that the recalibration was needed, but then wasn't sure if it actually affected anyone in the real world, or was just generally a good practice.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

There is an alignment for the adaptive system. There is a special chrysler tool for it that is very expensive. However I don't know when/what requires a re-alignment (other than probably replacing the hardware).

Reactions: MikeR.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is an alignment for the adaptive system. There is a special chrysler tool for it that is very expensive. However I don't know when/what requires a re-alignment (other than probably replacing the hardware).
Oh wow. What I read was saying it does it automatically as you drive. Well good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to Firestones Website, most of their locations are suppose to be able to handle it. Just wasn't sure about fees and stuff. I'll probably swing by there next week sometime and talk with them. I'll be sure to post whatever I find out.

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Around here (Phoenix), many alignment shops won't touch a vehicle that has been lifted. That includes most dealers. At least that has been my experience (JK and KK). However, we have a place called "Network Alignment" that will align anything, and for a reasonable price. Don't know if they can handle the fancy sensors on a KL though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Around here (Phoenix), many alignment shops won't touch a vehicle that has been lifted. That includes most dealers. At least that has been my experience (JK and KK). However, we have a place called "Network Alignment" that will align anything, and for a reasonable price. Don't know if they can handle the fancy sensors on a KL though.
I'm here in Phoenix and Firestone handles my alignments but I would absolutely recommend network alignment

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
I'm here in Phoenix and Firestone handles my alignments but I would absolutely recommend network alignment
Must be 1) Dependent on the particular Firestone dealer, or ) they've changed. When I lifted my KK, 2 dealers, the local Firestone, and a couple of local independents all said "no" because it was lifted. Network saved the day.

In fact, my local Firestone wouldn't even check my Cherokee TH/E since they "didn't have the right equipment", even though they just quoted me a lifetime alignment!

I suppose alignments are like oversized tires. Costco won't touch going over factory size (at least mine won't). Walmart was the same way. Discount Tire doesn't care what you want done, they just do it (within reason). However, I have seen in other Jeep forums where some Discount Tire dealers won't touch oversized tires.

The phrase "luck of the draw" comes to mind.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 14 of 14 Posts