• Asia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lots of our snowbirds are in Florida as well. Not as many as in non pandemic times, but some of them can't stand cold canadian winters. I hear that some who chose AZ do it for the dry heat which is easy on the joints (arthritis, etc...).

Edit to add : poll question asks where you drive, so jetting doesn't count ;)
In the software programming world, an ambiguous requirement is likely to give unexpected results. Where I drive and put on most of my miles is outside of Arizona. Where I live and call home is in Arizona.

So, "where you drive" =
1) Country/Region you call home? (poll options)
2) State/Province you call home? (not a poll option but how most answer in the posts)
3) Where you put on most miles? (what I interpreted by "drive")
4) Other?

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of Canadian Snowbirds in Arizona drive more here than back home. Well, let me clarify, they probably spend more time in their cars here than at home judging by the slow speeds! :sneaky: I'll have to admit most of my miles are within the USA, so that's how I voted.

I'm just PITA.
Plugging In The Answer. What did you think I meant?

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
In the software programming world, an ambiguous requirement is likely to give unexpected results. Where I drive and put on most of my miles is outside of Arizona. Where I live and call home is in Arizona.

So, "where you drive" =
1) Country/Region you call home? (poll options)
2) State/Province you call home? (not a poll option but how most answer in the posts)
3) Where you put on most miles? (what I interpreted by "drive")
4) Other?

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of Canadian Snowbirds in Arizona drive more here than back home. Well, let me clarify, they probably spend more time in their cars here than at home judging by the slow speeds! :sneaky: I'll have to admit most of my miles are within the USA, so that's how I voted.

I'm just PITA.
Plugging In The Answer. What did you think I meant?
LOL. Yeah, we're used to 60 mph max speed limits here, and lots of radar and expensive speeding tickets, so I understand the slow mentality.

Never mind the poll parameters, your interpretation and answers are more entertaining than just sticking with one country/area anyway. I wish I could drive outside of Canada more... maybe one day ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
LOL. Yeah, we're used to 60 mph max speed limits here, and lots of radar and expensive speeding tickets, so I understand the slow mentality.
60 mph max speed limits?! 😲

Do the police at least give a 10 mph cushion before issuing a ticket?

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
60 mph max speed limits?! 😲

Do the police at least give a 10 mph cushion before issuing a ticket?
Yeah we get at least 10 mph wiggle room, unless the officer is having a bad day lol. On some roads, we'll get away with 20 mph but generally 15 mpg is pushing one's luck...
Just for example, 27 mph over costs close to $300 (don't ask... ;) ), and 30+ mph over is in another realm altogether ($$$$).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yeah we get at least 10 mph wiggle room, unless the officer is having a bad day lol. On some roads, we'll get away with 20 mph but generally 15 mpg is pushing one's luck...
Just for example, 27 mph over costs close to $300 (don't ask... ;) ), and 30+ mph over is in another realm altogether ($$$$).
Are you saying the CMP don't still ride horses??? LOL...😉

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well I am one of those snowbirds and chose to stay home this year. So you can say home is Summerstown Ontario Canada.
When I go south its Davenport Florida USA
Most of my driving miles (kilometers) is in the US though. The ride there and back and lots of site seeing, trying new restaurants, excursions etc:

·
Registered
427 Posts
27 over would get a healthy ticket around here too. And 30 over is considered reckless driving... up to 1k fine, possible jail time and possible license suspension. Fortunately I've never had to go thru that nightmare.

And I've experienced officers having a bad day before. I got pulled over once for a very slow roll (no complete stop) thru a stop sign on a neighborhood street once. The cop was all over me, he treated me like I had just robbed a bank or something. lol

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
27 over would get a healthy ticket around here too. And 30 over is considered reckless driving... up to 1k fine, possible jail time and possible license suspension. Fortunately I've never had to go thru that nightmare.

And I've experienced officers having a bad day before. I got pulled over once for a very slow roll (no complete stop) thru a stop sign on a neighborhood street once. The cop was all over me, he treated me like I had just robbed a bank or something. lol
Can't recall where the forum member was at (in the US), but I remember discussing speeding tickets on here before, and that person said that in their area, cops had no time to monitor speed, so pretty much drive as fast as you want (within reason I'm sure). Not here. I'm lucky I don,t live near a big city, because they get an extra layer with photo radar, and I think 10 over gets you a ticket. Hate those things...
Yeah 30+ over is in the dangerous driving zone, with automatic licence suspension for 7 days (I think), and ticket amount goes up drastically with every 10 mph increment, getting quickly into the thousands. Best to avoid those...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Can't recall where the forum member was at (in the US), but I remember discussing speeding tickets on here before, and that person said that in their area, cops had no time to monitor speed, so pretty much drive as fast as you want (within reason I'm sure). Not here. I'm lucky I don,t live near a big city, because they get an extra layer with photo radar, and I think 10 over gets you a ticket. Hate those things...
Yeah 30+ over is in the dangerous driving zone, with automatic licence suspension for 7 days (I think), and ticket amount goes up drastically with every 10 mph increment, getting quickly into the thousands. Best to avoid those...
Our speed limit on the interstate here in Utah, when not in a metropolitan area is 80mph, or around 129kph. That's fast enough for me, and probably a little too fast for certain vehicles IMHO. They don't give you much wiggle room at all. That was made perfectly clear by the UHP when they raised it to that, and they are sticking to it. It's 70mph on I80 a I15 right through the middle of downtown Salt Lake City...😎

·
Registered
427 Posts
True story...

Many years ago some friends and I were in Las Vegas and we rented a big ol' Cadillac. We were driving across the desert heading to Laughlin with me behind the wheel, cruising along at a comfy 90 mph.

I then got pulled over by a cop. I was sh*ting bricks, wondering what type of expensive trouble I was going to be in. He then proceeded to give me a $15 dollar ticket for 'Wasting natural resources', which was apparently the gasoline. (You can Google that type of ticket if you don't believe my story.) Anyway, the cop gave me the ticket and then told me that if I had kept it under 90mph he wouldn't of even bothered pulling me over. LOL

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Our speed limit on the interstate here in Utah, when not in a metropolitan area is 80mph, or around 129kph. That's fast enough for me, and probably a little too fast for certain vehicles IMHO. They don't give you much wiggle room at all. That was made perfectly clear by the UHP when they raised it to that, and they are sticking to it. It's 70mph on I80 a I15 right through the middle of downtown Salt Lake City...😎
80 would be just fine by me ! Our province officials have comtemplated raising speeds limits on major highway for years, but haven't. Many variables at play here, and one of them is road surface quality due mostly to the harsh climate. Of course winter is a biggy, though they've considered seasonal speed limits too... So it's 60 max, and places where there is no photo radar, you can get away with 73-74 mph... maybe...

True story...

Many years ago some friends and I were in Las Vegas and we rented a big ol' Cadillac. We were driving across the desert heading to Laughlin with me behind the wheel, cruising along at a comfy 90 mph.

I then got pulled over by a cop. I was sh*ting bricks, wondering what type of expensive trouble I was going to be in. He then proceeded to give me a $15 dollar ticket for 'Wasting natural resources', which was apparently the gasoline. (You can Google that type of ticket if you don't believe my story.) Anyway, the cop gave me the ticket and then told me that if I had kept it under 90mph he wouldn't of even bothered pulling me over. LOL
Funny, one the factors for lower speed limits here is emissions.

They must love toying with tourists, especially those in a big rented Caddie ;)

A few decades ago I was nailed doing 147 Km/h (91 mph) in a 55 mph zone. Isolated highway, rarely a cruiser in sight... heh. If I remember, that was like a $150 fine and 3 demerit points. Today, it'd be out of a licence for a while... plus (minus) a grand or so, and 12 or 15 demerit points. Not a good time to be a young driver with a heavy foot (and a fast car or bike).

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
From USA, where people drive on the right side of the street, literally and figuratively.
Unless they are in a hurry, lost, texting, talking on the phone, on drugs, or drunk. ;)

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Oklahoma, where it is -8 and snows 14" and next week in the 70s
Yikes !

I've seen same-day 60 degree swings in winter here, a few times. But it's easier for folks who live in places accustomed to cold winters...

·
Super Moderator
7,402 Posts
We just had a few weeks in the teens and 20's, then for three days it was in the 40's...tonight it's back to the teens....

But wait! There's more....we then get a few days next week of snow in the ..... wait for it....40's!!... and then back to the teens.

This has been an interesting winter

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yikes !
I've seen same-day 60 degree swings in winter here, a few times. But it's easier for folks who live in places accustomed to cold winters...
People down here think I'm nuts for wanting to move back to New England, unless you've lived true seasons, you'll never get it. :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
People down here think I'm nuts for wanting to move back to New England, unless you've lived true seasons, you'll never get it. :D
You have four seasons in Georgia, dry, rainy, severe, and sweaty!!!😎

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep, 4 seasons a week... lol
This past week, low of 26F, High of 75F, snow, ice, sun and rain...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Indiana, where it's flat and interstate highways to everywhere. I drive up to Minnesota a couple times a year (650 miles for me). No off-road stuff - I just like the heavier Jeep (vs my wife's Prius) and the 4WD for snow.

21 - 41 of 41 Posts