2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have posted about this before, but my previous thread did not get any replies so I decided to start a new one instead of resurrecting the old, dead one...

I've had a slow leak of a red-brown fluid right between the PTU and transmission. It seems to be a somewhat slow leak, since the spot has gotten about twice as large since last October when I first detected it.
Here are some photos of it. I hope someone here can tell me whether it's the PTU fluid or the transmission fluid, as well as any guesses as to the actual source of the leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
267 Posts
So I've got no clue whats leaking there. My suggestion is to take it to the dealer or a garage and have it diagnosed and get an estimate for the repair . Then you deside what you want to do after that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's easy, they'll take a coupe of hundred dollars to tell me:
It's either your PTU or your transmission.
Start by changing the PTU for 3-4k and then if that doesn't fix it, the transmission will be 7k on top of that...

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I take it to anyone so I don't pay extra for diagnosing then taking it elsewhere for a fix.

I was hoping with so many Cherokees getting on up there in miles, someone else would have dealt with a similar leak and could help diagnose it from the location and the color of the stains...

I guess the next step is to buy a boroscope and go exploring for the source...

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
267 Posts
Start by changing the PTU for 3-4k and then if that doesn't fix it, the transmission will be 7k on top of that...

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I take it to anyone so I don't pay extra for diagnosing then taking it elsewhere for a fix.

I was hoping with so many Cherokees getting on up there in miles, someone else would have dealt with a similar leak and could help diagnose it from the location and the color of the stains...

Sorry dude if my answer wasn't good enough. I've got a 21 with 7000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts

The best way to at least find a leak, is to thoroughly clean the area, and find out exactly what is leaking, and go from there...😎

·
Registered
560 Posts
My guess is PTU reason I say that is when I changed my ptu fluid it was pretty dark and a dark brownish color when put some on a towel. It also had a distinctive gear lube smell. If you know the smell of gear lube you can probably tell by that as well. Transmission fluid has a different distinct smell. The ZF 9 fluid is a golden light amber color when new. To save some money on mechanic diagnosis you could buy a quart of ZF 9 fluid and a quart of ptu gear lube. Compare the two colors and smell and most likely can determine based on that alone.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,253 Posts
If it's a leak between the 2, the repair may be as simple as a seal, take it to a reputable transmission shop if you don't want to spend $$$ at the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts