2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Why are you ever in neutral? :unsure:
Old dumb habit when I don't have to apply the brake at a stop light.
I tried the brake, then drive but the Jeep refused to go in to drive
until it was in Park first. I was pushing on the brake shifting into
Park, back to drive and it still wouldn't go. I think I was doing it
too fast to get the thing to just go!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Old dumb habit when I don't have to apply the brake at a stop light.
I tried the brake, then drive but the Jeep refused to go in to drive
until it was in Park first. I was pushing on the brake shifting into
Park, back to drive and it still wouldn't go. I think I was doing it
too fast to get the thing to just go!
Well it's those safety nannies doing their thing. The one that bugs me the most is my inability to crack open my drivers door to assist in backing into a tight space. Almost at 4 years of ownership now, and I still seem to forget that once I open the door the Jeep will save me? by engaging the parking brake. Grrrrr...

Reactions: KL14

·
Registered
922 Posts
But if you can't open the door while moving, how are you supposed to pick up those spare cone markers along the road?!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Well it's those safety nannies doing their thing. The one that bugs me the most is my inability to crack open my drivers door to assist in backing into a tight space. Almost at 4 years of ownership now, and I still seem to forget that once I open the door the Jeep will save me? by engaging the parking brake. Grrrrr...
Yeah, it's annoying. But at least there's an override option. I've gotten quite good at the routine of almost automatically pushing the parking brake whenever I open the driver's door to make final adjustments to my parking position in camp.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Larger Gas Tank would be nice!
This right here. I can get passed the transmission because newer years did better on this front, along with other quirks. But the gas tank size is what I REALLY wish would've been more. A good 18-19 gallons would've been the sweet spot I think. The frickin' WK2 Grand Cherokee has a nearly 25 gallon tank, so why does the KL Cherokee have one that is not much larger than what a standard hatchback has?

500 miles on a tank for the Grand Cherokee V6 sounds quite nice actually.

Reactions: KL14

·
Registered
990 Posts
But if you can't open the door while moving, how are you supposed to pick up those spare cone markers along the road?!
Save that for the guy in the trunk with the hatch open. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ronin38

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, it's annoying. But at least there's an override option. I've gotten quite good at the routine of almost automatically pushing the parking brake whenever I open the driver's door to make final adjustments to my parking position in camp.
What about just turning off the auto E brake in settings. Remove seatbelt open door while backing works fine in mine.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Why are you ever in neutral? :unsure:
I did this the other day, at a Wendy's drive-thru. the car tends to vibrate a lot, in drive, sitting for a while & I wanted to give the mechanical system a break, I put it in neutral. then when the person in front of me moved I put it into drive. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to deal w/ park & the auto parking brake. I must have a diff. year than XJ99

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I did this the other day, at a Wendy's drive-thru. the car tends to vibrate a lot, in drive, sitting for a while & I wanted to give the mechanical system a break, I put it in neutral. then when the person in front of me moved I put it into drive. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to deal w/ park & the auto parking brake. I must have a diff. year than XJ99
It's weird to hear that your 2014 vibrates a lot while running and sitting at idle in drive and I can understand why you might then want to put it into neutral. My 2019 is smooth as can be and in nearly 4 years of ownership I've never intentionally put it into neutral.

But I understand XJ99 and his old habits as they are hard to break. :)

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,038 Posts
Yeah. It's in my 2019 manual section that is called "Brakes - If Equipped" :unsure:
I think mine says "Parking Brake Settings" in the Uconnect...Got mine set to full manual, except release when shifting to drive, but it will only release if you have the seat belt buckled...😎

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
The 2.4L seems too vibrate while in drive at a stop. The compass
does the same thing, so did my wife's Patriot. Seems if they bump
the RPMs up just a tick, the vibes would disappear.

My auto park is disabled. The thing just would not go until I slowed
down while going back to park then back into drive while pressing the
brake.

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It's weird to hear that your 2014 vibrates a lot while running and sitting at idle in drive and I can understand why you might then want to put it into neutral. My 2019 is smooth as can be and in nearly 4 years of ownership I've never intentionally put it into neutral.

But I understand XJ99 and his old habits as they are hard to break. :)
well, it's not tragic. I don't do it all the time. on that occasion I was super bored, no media playing & I was hyper aware. something was going on in the line & I was gonna be there for a while. nothing to mention, except when someone else mentioned it. maybe my 180k miles has something to do w/ it? maybe it's not an issue? funny how some things get noticed & other things we just shrug our shoulders at. like surface rust on the U-haul hitch. yeah I can clean it & treat it, but not today

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Wifey's Mazda 3 parking brake has to be activated manually. bugs me but it's fine for her. her car auto locks when she steps out. bugs both of us, but not enough to figure out how to change it

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I originally wanted the dark blue. but when I decided to buy, the pre-owned unit was gone. kept shopping & the next pre-owned good deal was on a silver, which I also like. traded a silver Forester for it. but if I get another, I would like that dark blue

81 - 100 of 106 Posts