2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could change 1 thing about your KL what would it be? I am really satisfied with mine but I would get the 3.2 V6 instead the 2.4L Tiger shark engine. It does great on trips getting 34-36mpg but it lacks torque for a SUV the size of the KL. The 9 speed is smooth as butter and great for making it feel like it has more power than it does.

I also worry about the durability of the multiair system and will be using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 with a mopar filter on a 3,000 OCI. That’s what I would change how about you?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
almost 180K on my 2014 2.4 4cyl. took me a while to figure out the best ways to drive it, in all conditions, but I eventually got it. most of my driving is suburban roads at 40mph & some highway at 70mph. where I live, in MA, it is not mountainous. would I like a 6? sure but there's no reason a car manufacturer can't accommodate me w/ a 4. my 2011 Subaru Forester with the 4cyl, 5 spd, MT was much better on the big highway hills in CT, never had to down shift & cruise control at 70 mph was perfectly fine. with the KL & a full load of ppl, it will down-shift to 5th for those 3 or 4 big rollers. but like you said, it does it smoothly

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had a couple of ZF 8HP's in previous cars, but it's a totally different gearbox and would mean a more conventional drivetrain in the Cherokee. I have the V6 but would like more torque too.

Over here a popular engine choice for the non Trailhawk is a 2.2 diesel with 197bhp and 325lb/ft of torque.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts
Had a couple of ZF 8HP's in previous cars, but it's a totally different gearbox and would mean a more conventional drivetrain in the Cherokee. I have the V6 but would like more torque too.

Over here a popular engine choice for the non Trailhawk is a 2.2 diesel with 197bhp and 325lb/ft of torque.
I would love a 2.2TDI, but unfortunately they were never offered here, and probably never will be. Thanks a lot all Tree Huggers, and Volkswagen!!! LOL...😎

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Use reflector headlights with a 65W high beam and 55W low beam halogen bulbs.
55W high beam/low beam 9012 bulb in a projector housing doesn't produce enough light where you actually need it.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Diesel is a perfectly valid choice this side of the pond. I was considering a SUV with a 3.0 V6 diesel and 300bhp 516ft/lb that weighs about the same as the TH. Sentimental reasons brought me back to Jeep though.
Ya, unfortunately our genius of a government has this fantasy, and they're really adamant and hopeful that everyone will go out and buy an electric vehicle tomorrow, and they can completely do away with all fossil fuels by like a week from next Tuesday. That's what we have to deal with...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's the same here, to be frank. Politicians making grand gestures the the populace will have to pay for. Fuel tax is currently a huge source of income for the govt, so where do people think the replacement income will come from when EV's become the norm?

Enough of the politics. Need...bigger....engine! :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If I were king of the design department, I'd focus on a lightweight, hardcore, flat-towable, fuel-efficient off-road beast. For now, those duties are split between my Wrangler (hardcore, flat-towable, off-road beast) and my Cherokee (lightweight, flat-towable, fuel-efficient, and off-road baby-beast)!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
our genius of a government has this fantasy, and they're really adamant and hopeful that everyone will go out and buy an electric vehicle tomorrow, and they can completely do away with all fossil fuels by like a week from next Tuesday. That's what we have to deal with
of course that is not true. what is true, is that my millionaire boss suggested I buy an electric car like his $75K Tesla so I wouldn't have to pay for gas. to which I replied: "first I have to pay for my dental bills, which I'm paying interest on". I would love an electric/hybrid Cherokee but I can't afford it. only if the manufacturers have some motivation to make them affordable, will I & my family (3 cars in my name, 1 in Wifey's) be driving them. right now I'm more than happy to pay more for gas to help get rid of that mass murdering POS puny putin & all his supporters, both foreign & domestic

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
of course that is not true. what is true, is that my millionaire boss suggested I buy an electric car like his $75K Tesla so I wouldn't have to pay for gas. to which I replied: "first I have to pay for my dental bills, which I'm paying interest on". I would love an electric/hybrid Cherokee but I can't afford it. only if the manufacturers have some motivation to make them affordable, will I & my family (3 cars in my name, 1 in Wifey's) be driving them. right now I'm more than happy to pay more for gas to help get rid of that mass murdering POS puny putin & all his supporters, both foreign & domestic
Now, what they really need to do is, take all of those $18,000 spent, and cycled out Tesla battery trays, and load them up on a B2, and drop them all on Moscow...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
466 Posts
I’d tell the engineers to keep the cheap gps that wants to grab money for upgrading and is pretty much useless compared to a stand-alone gps. And put a little note in the glovebox with garmins
Website and pick from a dozen great gps systems with free wifi updates and no nag that says you can’t do that when your driving. For god sake they haven’t even discovered route shaping!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I’d tell the engineers to keep the cheap gps that wants to grab money for upgrading and is pretty much useless compared to a stand-alone gps. And put a little note in the glovebox with garmins
Website and pick from a dozen great gps systems with free wifi updates and no nag that says you can’t do that when your driving. For god sake they haven’t even discovered route shaping!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019
Agreed!!! You're better off with a bunch of these stuffed in the glove box, than that completely worthless technology...LOL!!!😉😎
Hand Finger Thumb Font Nail

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
almost 180K on my 2014 2.4 4cyl. took me a while to figure out the best ways to drive it, in all conditions, but I eventually got it. most of my driving is suburban roads at 40mph & some highway at 70mph. where I live, in MA, it is not mountainous. would I like a 6? sure but there's no reason a car manufacturer can't accommodate me w/ a 4. my 2011 Subaru Forester with the 4cyl, 5 spd, MT was much better on the big highway hills in CT, never had to down shift & cruise control at 70 mph was perfectly fine. with the KL & a full load of ppl, it will down-shift to 5th for those 3 or 4 big rollers. but like you said, it does it smoothly
I noticed this on a recent trip. The transmission has no problem down shifting to 5 or 6th gear on the smallest incline. I understand it has 9 gears and all but the constant shifting kinda gets old

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should have gone with a zf8 instead of the zf9. And better air flow. My God can't drive with the fron lt windows and the rear windows down with out major wind buffering.
My wife has a 2013 Ford Fusion that does the same thing as the KL. If you roll just the back window down it feels like your ear drums are gonna be sucked out

·
Registered
163 Posts
Larger Gas Tank would be nice!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts