·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Ah, I see. I thought you didn't want to looks holes in the front bumper. LOL
What I did on the old Commander..

·
Registered
1 Posts
This weekend I installed a bypass cable to my CAN block that allows me to change the settings on my vehicle, bypassing the security system installed. This is needed for all 2019+ cherokees if you want to make mods without going to the dealer or another mechanic with the proper tools. It plugs in under the center console near the back:

View attachment 210726
Can you explain a little more what this will allow you to do? Or link to somewhere that can? IM interested in removing my front passenger seat but i have read it may be too problematic with the air bag system.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Can you explain a little more what this will allow you to do? Or link to somewhere that can? IM interested in removing my front passenger seat but i have read it may be too problematic with the air bag system.
This allows me to change settings and test things on the car. For example, I can enable Towing support, change my VIN number, change tire size, etc. Normally this cannot be done because there is a piece of hardware on the cars CAN system that blocks changes. The program I paid for (alfaOBD) has a bunch of different things it can change. I don't remember any setting in regards to passenger air bag, but it might be there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This weekend I installed a bypass cable to my CAN block that allows me to change the settings on my vehicle, bypassing the security system installed. This is needed for all 2019+ cherokees if you want to make mods without going to the dealer or another mechanic with the proper tools. It plugs in under the center console near the back:

View attachment 210726
I too have played around with AlphaOBD. I'd love if we had a good resource to draw from for information.
I noticed some of the values are wrong with torque, or calculated unusually. For example, when going down hill and letting off the gas, the crankshaft goes negative, which I would expect because you are engine braking, but the rear torque actual or even requested torque, stays about 60nm.... I would assume the value would go negative as well. I don't trust it for many measurements of torque.

There are some unusual things with that software, but it is fun to tinker.

What specific things are you planning on doing? Is there something you are referencing for your work?
I love to fiddle around with things.

As soon as it arrives, I'll be installing a 10.4 inch touchscreen in my center console, I bought one of those PX6 core fastboot android head units, I'm super stoked about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This allows me to change settings and test things on the car. For example, I can enable Towing support, change my VIN number, change tire size, etc. Normally this cannot be done because there is a piece of hardware on the cars CAN system that blocks changes. The program I paid for (alfaOBD) has a bunch of different things it can change. I don't remember any setting in regards to passenger air bag, but it might be there.
Was it worth it? I been tossing around the idea of purchasing it

·
Registered
112 Posts
FINALLY installed my 1.5" HS lift today. Easy as pie. Could be done by one person, is much quicker with two. Had it done in a snap.

Next step is bigger tyres!
how do you like the mfc cap?
i watched the video, was not impressed. it does not line up to the factory hole well, and no lock, plus the inside button is useless after install.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
It's ok. The reason I got it to begin with was because my fuel door was all cockeyed from one or more broke clips on the inside. I suspect the previous owner had to do a bit of percussive maintenance to get it open at some point when it was frozen shut.

The only real thing I don't like about it is how it goes on. If I could do it all over again, I'd find a way to remove the whole fuel pocket and properly secure it with nuts and bolts. I question the longevity of just screws and I usually inspect that area once every couple weeks to see if any gaps develop. Nothing so far, but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Looks wise, it's great. First thing I did was debadge it and then stuck on my own decal. It was a cheap plastic chrome maple leaf off Amazon which I hit with a few layers of green plastidip.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Was it worth it? I been tossing around the idea of purchasing it
I bought it because I planned on making some changes where I would need it. I am installing the factory tow bar in the rear with wiring (need to enable towing in the BCM), and paddle shifters (also need to enable in BCM). I might also replace my mirrors with power folding ones, but as far as I can tell that would not require any changes to the system. Although the alfaobd says that any time you replace CAN components you are supposed to do a "proxy alignment". I would like more information into what that is exactly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought it because I planned on making some changes where I would need it. I am installing the factory tow bar in the rear with wiring (need to enable towing in the BCM), and paddle shifters (also need to enable in BCM). I might also replace my mirrors with power folding ones, but as far as I can tell that would not require any changes to the system. Although the alfaobd says that any time you replace CAN components you are supposed to do a "proxy alignment". I would like more information into what that is exactly.
What is it you are enabling when you add the tow package in the BCM?
I would love to have power folding mirrors

·
Registered
7 Posts
kinda new here.... but in a span of a week. Went from stock AD1 to MFC lift, to 255/70/18 not fitting then throwing a Rear centering wheel kit, then wheels on but pinch weld and fenders needing to be molded and now waiting on some spacers as I have a tiny amount of rub on turns and bumps

·
Registered
36 Posts
kinda new here.... but in a span of a week. Went from stock AD1 to MFC lift, to 255/70/18 not fitting then throwing a Rear centering wheel kit, then wheels on but pinch weld and fenders needing to be molded and now waiting on some spacers as I have a tiny amount of rub on turns and bumps
Have you looked into pinch weld reduction?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did it after the wheels couldn't fit. Everything is on now and buttoned up. Just waiting on spacers since its a pretty tight fit
I just installed the same tire size yesterday, but only rub when I make a u-turn. What kind did you go with? NO2s here. I haven't tested it offroad yet until I get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed the same tire size yesterday, but only rub when I make a u-turn. What kind did you go with? NO2s here. I haven't tested it offroad yet until I get this issue resolved.

i believe some Bridgestone Duellers. Now 1 thing to mention. I have 18" rims, so that made my calculations way off since i wasn't expecting the rim size to also affect the overall tire size. had i have 17" wheels it would have been a way better fit with less modification.

a 255 with a 17 is 31.1" with a 97.5 circum.
a 255 with a 18 is 32.1" with a 100.7 circum

·
Registered
36 Posts
i believe some Bridgestone Duellers. Now 1 thing to mention. I have 18" rims, so that made my calculations way off since i wasn't expecting the rim size to also affect the overall tire size. had i have 17" wheels it would have been a way better fit with less modification.

a 255 with a 17 is 31.1" with a 97.5 circum.
a 255 with a 18 is 32.1" with a 100.7 circum
Ah, yeah, I want with 255/70/17. Makes sense.

1881 - 1900 of 1937 Posts