2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

2061 - 2078 of 2078 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

I finally joined the lifted KL club! I love the niche market these things have, I do have one question for y’all though for anyone else who’s experienced this.

I went with the MFC 2.5” lift and picked up a set of 255/75/17 wheels and tires off someone’s JL Wrangler (of course needed the Bora adapters to go to 5x5). As far as post install even with the real wheel “centering kit” the rear wheel sits pretty far forward, and aside from drilling holes in the fender liner and zip tying to the body, still somewhat rubs. My thought is that the bolts holding the trailing arms to the body are 60mm M12 bolts with a 1.75 thread pitch. Lowe’s has the same exact bolts in 70 and 80mm length, which I’d go with 80 and add another 1/2” worth of spacers to push the wheel back further and keep the bolt-in-thread integrity of the trailing arm completely sound. I don’t plan on dumping more money into this for MFC’s upcoming subframe drop kit or anything else, this project was just to scratch the itch of wanting something different until I’m ready to start an overland truck build. Do y’all think just a longer bolt to compensate for additional spacers is a logical solution? Let me hear your opinions!

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,608 Posts
As far as post install even with the real wheel “centering kit” the rear wheel sits pretty far forward
That's because the kit is designed for a 2 inch lift. You're on the right track to remedy the situation I think. Keep a close eye on those CV joints though, drama is always on the horizon when you go over 2 inches. Good luck...😎

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's because the kit is designed for a 2 inch lift. You're on the right track to remedy the situation I think. Keep a close eye on those CV joints though, drama is always on the horizon when you go over 2 inches. Good luck...😎
I'd like to think that's really the only solution other than waiting for the subframe drop, which I honestly done care to buy. As far as the CV joints go, maybe that's why he has the replacement parts for those on his website as well 😂 I'm hoping that since this is just a daily and (laughably) won't go off-roading that the CV joints will have some mercy on me. That being said, I plan on keeping this thing as long as possible for a travel family vehicle even while I being my overland truck build so if something needs fixing then hey, that's the cost of maintenance for ya I guess 🤷‍♂️

I'm honestly content with it. Toying around with the idea of fabricating a spare tire carrier that'll bolt onto the back hatch and reinforcing the inside of the hatch it with some extra gas struts to help it open under heavier load that way I don't have to have a hitch carrier in the way. We'll see if I ever get to that lmao

·
Registered
921 Posts
Changed the oil (over 7400 miles on it), air filter, and cabin air filter yesterday, and grabbed another oil sample for Blackstone Labs that I'll send out this week. I don't have reason to believe there's anything particularly wrong with the engine, but a little added insurance never hurt in this case.

I did notice a slight weep where the oil filter cap connects to the oil filter housing. Possibly a bad seal, but luckily those are replaced every time you change the oil, so I'll monitor it. To my knowledge, using Mobil 1 5W-20 High Mileage has yielded little to no oil being lost, or burned during my last few changes.

Maybe there really is something to using high mileage oil with the extra anti-wear additives, and detergents? Since I'm finally out of the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 5w-20 HM, I might try my hand at Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-20, or some other HM equivalent, and see how that fairs.

That said, overall I've been pretty happy with how Mobil 1 High Mileage has turned out for the Pentastar engine. (y)

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
138 Posts
I plasti dipped my grill trim pieces. I don't suspect it will hold up that well but this was a trial run to see how I felt after it was on since plasti dip is removable. If I decide I want to keep it I may wait until this starts to chip and fade and then use some high quality paint to make it more permanent. Especially since I picked up a spare grill in case I mess it up. Not as much pressure. Lol

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
So I was in the process of taking off the skid plates in order to clean them up.

Unfortunately, one single bolt that is part of the driver side has tank plate snapped the head right off. Every other bolt for the other skid plates came off just fine btw.

In an attempt to extract it out via an extractor, the nut that is welded to the frame itself dislodged itself, so now it’s impossible to fix.

God [email protected]&)ing #%*#[email protected]&!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
907 Posts
You might just have to push it in the frame and try a nutsert.

Reactions: Ben58

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
19 Posts
I plasti dipped my grill trim pieces. I don't suspect it will hold up that well but this was a trial run to see how I felt after it was on since plasti dip is removable. If I decide I want to keep it I may wait until this starts to chip and fade and then use some high quality paint to make it more permanent. Especially since I picked up a spare grill in case I mess it up. Not as much pressure. Lol

Great job! How did you do it? Does each grille trim piece separate into 2 parts (border and mesh honeycomb inside)?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great job! How did you do it? Does each grille trim piece separate into 2 parts (border and mesh honeycomb inside)?
Yeah at least on the newer ones. They are held to the hood by two bolts and four clips. Once you pop them out you can separate them in two pieces by just carefully popping the trim pieces off the center. The four clips in the corners that help hold it to the hood also hold it all together. Just go slow to not break a clip and it's not difficult at all.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
19 Posts
Yeah at least on the newer ones. They are held to the hood by two bolts and four clips. Once you pop them out you can separate them in two pieces by just carefully popping the trim pieces off the center. The four clips in the corners that help hold it to the hood also hold it all together. Just go slow to not break a clip and it's not difficult at all.

Cool. Thanks! I think I will paint mine matte black.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
141 Posts

does look pretty sweet, ngl

but also might peel off as you said. does it actually match the red tow hooks up close (as far as color and texture?) tempted........ but also would break up the all black theme I got going on

·
Registered
138 Posts
does look pretty sweet, ngl

but also might peel off as you said. does it actually match the red tow hooks up close (as far as color and texture?) tempted........ but also would break up the all black theme I got going on
It is not exact color match but it is very close. And the plasti dip is pretty smooth if done right. Just a very slight texture you feel but not really see. I imagine it'll last about a year and then I'll either have to re do it or paint it.

2061 - 2078 of 2078 Posts