2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ineed advise as to what I need for OBD codes and clearing
I'm certain I'm getting the obdlink MX+ , a security module( so I can clear codes ) .anything else I should get. My jeeps are a 2014 ,2016 with start/stop, and a new to me a 2019 limited. I have an obd reader but its about 20 years old .but will it clear codes on the jeeps. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,785 Posts
Also , If I need Alfaobd , can it be put on more than 1 android system. 1 on a tablet and the other on a phone
It's keyed to a specific device, so if you wanted to run on 2 devices at the same time you'd need 2 licenses.
But you can email them a request the license be transferred (obviously not on a whim, but more for long term transfers)... :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So Ineed advise as to what I need for OBD codes and clearing
I'm certain I'm getting the obdlink MX+ , a security module( so I can clear codes ) .anything else I should get. My jeeps are a 2014 ,2016 with start/stop, and a new to me a 2019 limited. I have an obd reader but its about 20 years old .but will it clear codes on the jeeps. Thanks again guys
I wouldn't advise using such an old OBD reader at all on the Cherokee, a lot has changed since then...:cool:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I wouldn't advise using such an old OBD reader at all on the Cherokee, a lot has changed since then...:cool:
Are you thinking of the right thing?

I have the first gen OBDLINK MX (not plus) and it works 10x faster and better than chinese elm327 stuff.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Are you thinking of the right thing?
I was replying to this part of the post:
"I have an obd reader but its about 20 years old .but will it clear codes on the jeeps."
"I wouldn't advise using such an old OBD reader at all on the Cherokee, a lot has changed since then...:cool: "

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,481 Posts
the obdlink mx+ is several cuts above those.. a comparison: the 2.0 vs the 2.4 :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Ya, I was just referring to the bare minimum when he asked what he needed to pull codes. Alfa OBD is way above my pay grade. If you turned me loose with that, I'd probably have everything so messed up, I'd probably have to fly @Tyler-98-W68 down here to fix it for me...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As flybynightcru said. I just want to read codes ,hopefully fix problem and then clear them. do I need the alfaobd or is it for changing things on the jeeps

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
554 Posts
As flybynightcru said. I just want to read codes ,hopefully fix problem and then clear them. do I need the alfaobd or is it for changing things on the jeeps
You probably won't need alfa for that in most cases (unless you need a higher degree of trouble shooting such as stuff with the 4wd). You will need the bypass module for the 19 though. Not to read, but to clear. You said you were going with the OBDLink MX+. I have been impressed with the software that comes with it. I will handle 98% of anything you will need as far as reading and clearing.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
554 Posts
If I get a code on mine, the progression of what I would go through would be 1.)BlueDriver (I already have it and it gives the most common issues to fix it). 2.) Verify with OBDlink while viewing the sensors as it does a better job than BlueDriver. 3.) AlfaOBD if needed to verify, or fix the issue. Also, anytime I get errors that I need to clear, I almost always just use OBDlink as I can clear them all at once instead of going into each module in in Alfa. Also BlueDriver has its own OBD adapter, so I really only use that one if I absolutely need too. I have a short extension cable and leave my MX+ in all the time tucked up under the dash, but not to interfere with the air bag.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,481 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts