2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The wife just called and asked what fuel to use for the first fill of our V6 TH. I hadnt even thought about it, she was at Shell and I said use V-Power (98 octane) just to be sure.

A quick search on the net reveals Aussie V6's needing a minimum of 91 octane only.

Do you bother with premium fuels? Do you think you can feel the benefits of your extra $$$ paid? Also has anyone used ethanol blended fuel? Is it safe to use on Jeep V6 TH's? Is there power loss associated with E85 fuel?

I'm thinking long term its best to just stick to Jeeps recommended RON91 fuel but am interested in other members real world experiences with local Aussie fuels.

Cheers!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi,

The wife just called and asked what fuel to use for the first fill of our V6 TH. I hadnt even thought about it, she was at Shell and I said use V-Power (98 octane) just to be sure.

A quick search on the net reveals Aussie V6's needing a minimum of 91 octane only.

Do you bother with premium fuels? Do you think you can feel the benefits of your extra $$$ paid? Also has anyone used ethanol blended fuel? Is it safe to use on Jeep V6 TH's? Is there power loss associated with E85 fuel?

I'm thinking long term its best to just stick to Jeeps recommended RON91 fuel but am interested in other members real world experiences with local Aussie fuels.

Cheers!
91 is best, 95 and 98 and may give you a bit better fuel economy but not when you compare the 20-30 cent per litre difference, just NEVER EVER use E85... EVER !! so many issues with that fuel in this country!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes those were my thoughts on octane levels...more is better but not necessarily worthwhile.

I've only ever owned euro cars or chipped up ECU's that took RON98....I've never given any thought or time to E85. What sort of issues are you referring to specifically?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I use mostly e10 from my local servo which is a 95. Its their cheapest pertrol and it runs fine. Tried their 98 when it was really cheap and no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine only drinks 98, I think in the long term it gives you better performance and might be a bit kinder to the engine as you don't need as much throttle. My mechanic from the dealership reckons you can use the lower octane without problem, but he strongly suggested you go the 98 every now and then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, its the same old adage. you get what you pay for. Here in oz I am getting 8.6/100l with 98 and around 9.9/100l with 95. I would not even consider putting 91 in my car. The car can run on e85 which is like rocket fuel but only seem available in united fuel stations, and you would get less km per l but a sportier feel. I also have a toyota gt86 that only runs on RON. What is funny, and yes i live rural as in not in the city at the pump you can only get 91 or 98 at BP/Shell. 91 will work but has a lower burn rate so will leave a dirtier engine and give a rubbish/sluggish feel. If you can gwt ron95 use that as the cost/km would be better. If you are keep the car for a long time use 98 as a higher burn leaves a cleaner engine and thus better for your carr

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok ive managed to test a trip with 1 tank 91 and 1 tank 98. From melbourne to south australia.
I found the milage wasnt improoved as much but i did feel better response overtaking and general acceleration on 98.

Im tipping 98 for the next few months to see if it has any effect. But 98 is better for the car in general

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Hi,
Here in NZ we normally use 95RON in all the V6s. Works fine and gives reasonable mileage. :nerd:

Oliver:smile:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have nothing of value to add to the topic (because I drive a diesel Limited :D ) but I just wanted to throw a 'Hello' to Oliver because I see you are from Chch and I am also a Cantabrian (but I live in Aust) but my family are all still there.

Two questions Oliver - What variant of KL do you have and how are you coping with the latest spate of quakes?

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Howdy!

I have a new (as in TODAY) 2016 KL TH. :grin:

Well, we got off VERY lightly as there was little or no damage to people and buildings in the Sunday wobble. :smile:

Everything that was going to fall over has already. :surprise: Just a few things off shelves in shops etc. It was out in the water so that cushioned it a bit.

Thank you for the welcome!!!

Oliver:nerd:

·
Registered
455 Posts
You got it today! Congratulations. Great vehicle. I would imagine that there wouldn't be many floating around Chch.

Re: the rocking and rolling. Yeah, that is exactly what I told Mum when she started freaking out again the other day. What ever can fall has already fallen but still, it's very unnerving. Born and bred and growing up in NZ, of course we were all aware of quakes but never did we imagine that Chch would be affected. We always thought Wellington - LOL. I was in San Francisco in '89 - working in Oakland when the Loma Prieta one hit and it was the first big one that I had ever experienced even though I grew up in NZ.

Congrats again on the TH. Taking it into the snow this coming winter? Would love some pics if so. (I get homesick).

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Hiya,

Yep. Today. Still trying to work out how the dealer got to switch off the start/stop........ I'll get it!:nerd:

Now, there are a few Trailhawks getting about here! I saw 3 white ones on the way to the city from Sumner to get mine! I'm glad I didn't choose white. :wink: Mine's the only silver one I've seen. There are a couple of black ones and a metallic orange too!

Will try the snow for sure! I would have preferred the Firestone Destination tyres instead of the Yokohama Geolanders that come to Oz and N.Z. Oh well, they'll wear out!

Oliver

·
Registered
455 Posts
Golly. That's more TH's than I've ever seen in 16 months of ownership when I'm just an hour south of Sydney. Go the Kiwi's! :)

You'll get used to all the tech on it. And if in doubt - well there's always the owner manual. LOL

And also, as the old saying goes - We need pics (of your TH) or it didn't happen. Obligatory on this site. :D

PS: I used to live in Sumner many, many moons ago. Wakefield Ave. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
91 Regular unleaded at Caltex should be perfectly fine right ?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
A full Caltex yes, a Caltex/Woolies that has the 4c shop a docket discount no...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
A full Caltex yes, a Caltex/Woolies that has the 4c shop a docket discount no...

The chain stores use inferior fuel?- I would not be in the slightest surprised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just an FYI when going through the manual

"3.2L engine - provides satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having a minimum octane rating of 91 (RON). The manufacturer recommends the use of 93 (RON) for optimum performance"

Unfortunately, I've used the Caltex/Woolies for my 91 fuel.. how is the 95 fuel for the caltex/woolies ? just as bad ? or should I just use a shell / BP / full caltex. Just that the caltex / woolies is very close

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
From what I have been told from an insider, the shopping centre branded ones with the 4c/L discount are provided the oldest fuel from the refineries. As the fuel ages its octane rating decreases. So 95 at the shopping center sites gives me the same economy as 91 at the independant servo. Have tested this theory over 3 different vehicles over the last 20 odd years, as like you, my closest is a Caltex-Woollies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts