2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 3.2L 4x4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am new to the community and just bought a 2016 V6 4x4 Jeep Cherokee. Since this is the first real car that I have purchased alone I have been really thinking about modifying and doing a lot of the maintenance myself. I understand it is not on the same level as the trailhawk but I wanted to know if it is possible to make trail-capable. It seems easy to upgrade wheels and change out cosmetic things but what about giving it active drive? How close to a trailhawk can it be upgraded?

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hey all, I am new to the community and just bought a 2016 V6 4x4 Jeep Cherokee. Since this is the first real car that I have purchased alone I have been really thinking about modifying and doing a lot of the maintenance myself. I understand it is not on the same level as the trailhawk but I wanted to know if it is possible to make trail-capable. It seems easy to upgrade wheels and change out cosmetic things but what about giving it active drive? How close to a trailhawk can it be upgraded?
Welcome from Utah!!! Tell us more about your Latitude. If it is 4x4, you already have Active Drive, it's just a question of which one, ADI or ADII. If you don't have a 4Low button on the Select Terrain knob, chances are you have ADI, which is very capable of some pretty serious offroading. What other mods are you thinking about doing, slight lift, some decent A/T tires???馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Utah!!! Tell us more about your Latitude. If it is 4x4, you already have Active Drive, it's just a question of which one, ADI or ADII. If you don't have a 4Low button on the Select Terrain knob, chances are you have ADI, which is very capable of some pretty serious offroading. What other mods are you thinking about doing, slight lift, some decent A/T tires???馃槑
Ohhhh, I figured since it didn't have the active drive lettering on the back I didn't have that. Other than the terrain knob, there aren't any other buttons for 4LO or 4HI. I am still new to cars in general so I really am just trying to figure how much it's capable of. Definitely considering some lift and new tires, but I think the first and simplest thing I wanna change is the front chrome grills and swap those will some matte grey ones. I'm really interested in overlanding from a trip some buddies and I went on, really want to see if I can make this car capable.

Registered
Ohhhh, I figured since it didn't have the active drive lettering on the back I didn't have that. Other than the terrain knob, there aren't any other buttons for 4LO or 4HI. I am still new to cars in general so I really am just trying to figure how much it's capable of. Definitely considering some lift and new tires, but I think the first and simplest thing I wanna change is the front chrome grills and swap those will some matte grey ones. I'm really interested in overlanding from a trip some buddies and I went on, really want to see if I can make this car capable.
I've never seen Active Drive badging on any Cherokee. You definitely have ADI, and it is fully capable of overlanding with the right set up. It's not complicated, or super expensive either. Your Lat with a 2" lift, and a good set of All Terrains would be absolutely more capable than you think. What engine do you have???馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never seen Active Drive badging on any Cherokee. You definitely have ADI, and it is fully capable of overlanding with the right set up. It's not complicated, or super expensive either. Your Lat with a 2" lift, and a good set of All Terrains would be absolutely more capable than you think. What engine do you have???馃槑
It鈥檚 got a stock V6, so do you think it鈥檚 reasonable to make these upgrades while I use it as a daily drive? Will all terrains wear out faster on city streets than standard tires? And actually does lifting effect fuel efficiency(not that I really cared when I got the v6)?

Registered
With the right tires about the only negative is slightly less handling and abit more noise due to the less sporty tire type and more aggressive tread pattern.

IIRC The ad-I should be ok with 245/65r17 but your speedo will then read slightly slower than your actual speed.
Edit: do you have 17" or 18" wheels?

They wont Wear out faster than regular tires some will last longer some dont.. like any tire you would purchase.
lifting can affect gas mileage as can larger AT tires. usually not severely if you make the right choices.

What will lower mpg even more is a roof basket and anything you hang on the car such as light bars etc.

There are plenty of great tire choices out there
example of a one of the mildest all terrains that has good all around including winter performance would be the Yokohama Geolandar g015

a very aggressive AT tire would be the Toyo Opencountry AT III

if you dont have a decent budget for mods.. you can buy something that works with the stock wheels.. although if they are 18's the tire choices are somewhat slim compared to 17's

Registered
It鈥檚 got a stock V6, so do you think it鈥檚 reasonable to make these upgrades while I use it as a daily drive? Will all terrains wear out faster on city streets than standard tires? And actually does lifting effect fuel efficiency(not that I really cared when I got the v6)?
Like @Rand said, depending on the tire, most quality A/T's won't wear out faster. Also like he said, the Yokohama Geolander G015 is a great "best of both worlds" tire, I've run two sets of them. The only reason I don't have them on the Trailhawk is, I want something a little more aggressive. Your ADI Lat is absolutely as capable in MOST situations as a Trailhawk with the right setup. Wheels are going to be a factor though, I'm guessing you have the factory 17" wheels with a +40 offset? You're really going to want something closer to a +30 which is what the stock Trailhawk wheels are. It will give you more options for clearance on larger tires. Just depends on what you are looking for, and how much of a budget you have to work with...馃槑

Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4X4 V6
I was in the same boat when I got Smoke my first Cherokee which was a 2015 Latitude 4X4 4 cylinder. Bottom line it comes down to how much money you have to spend on upgrades like a lift and so on minus 4 low, locking rear diff and hill descent assist. I didn鈥檛 have any to spend but did enjoy what capability I did have. Edited to add. For example here is Smoke on Witt Rd in Tellico TN. We stopped after the first water crossing but had no issue's but would not go further. Fun ride either way. 馃槑
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant
Car Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle
Plant Leaf Tree Natural landscape Road surface

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like @Rand said, depending on the tire, most quality A/T's won't wear out faster. Also like he said, the Yokohama Geolander G015 is a great "best of both worlds" tire, I've run two sets of them. The only reason I don't have them on the Trailhawk is, I want something a little more aggressive. Your ADI Lat is absolutely as capable in MOST situations as a Trailhawk with the right setup. Wheels are going to be a factor though, I'm guessing you have the factory 17" wheels with a +40 offset? You're really going to want something closer to a +30 which is what the stock Trailhawk wheels are. It will give you more options for clearance on larger tires. Just depends on what you are looking for, and how much of a budget you have to work with...馃槑
Yeah so the tires currently on when I bought it are 225/65 R 17 General Tire Altimax RT43, the front right seems to be losing air slowly so I am gonna have to replace it sooner rather than later. Not sure about what the offset is. Another thing that I was just thinking about is how much life could I reasonably expect out of this car, it has 100k miles on it and I plan on keeping it till it stops running rather than trade it out. I've seen online its expected they go 200k or more so I just wanna make sure I am not spending too much money on a car that won't last.

Registered
Yeah so the tires currently on when I bought it are 225/65 R 17 General Tire Altimax RT43, the front right seems to be losing air slowly so I am gonna have to replace it sooner rather than later. Not sure about what the offset is. Another thing that I was just thinking about is how much life could I reasonably expect out of this car, it has 100k miles on it and I plan on keeping it till it stops running rather than trade it out. I've seen online its expected they go 200k or more so I just wanna make sure I am not spending too much money on a car that won't last.
Your stock wheels are a +40 offset. How long it will last, well there's a lot of factors at play. Have you ever looked at a vehicle history report on the car??? Previous maintenance history is well worth the $50 bucks, or whatever they cost. It's nice to know how the previous owner(s) took care of it in the first 100k. Also any major failures and repairs of better known things that have a history of premature failure, like PTU, RDM, axles, driveshaft, and the dreaded Pentastar rocker bearing failure. Now, not all of those things happen to all of them, but I would want to know, if possible if any of them have. There's a lot of members with older models that are well into the 100k's on mileage with no major issues, but there's also many that haven't been as lucky. Any vehicle is a crapshoot, but history sure helps you to plan ahead...馃槑

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
A slow leak can be repairable, have it checked at a tire shop or a Sams/Costco. Of course that depends on the tread life left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts