2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But after 2 Trailhawks and a couple 100K kms (between both), it is time to wave goodbye. (soon)

The wife is retiring next year and I'm following 2 years after that so we are switching to maximum saving mode (as opposed to moderate). Rising gas prices made me start rethinking the TH to start with, but now it's getting nuts.
I got an email offer from my local Jeep dealer for almost $31K cash for my 2019 with 62K kms on it which I thought was absolutely crazy, but then I looked at what they're going for on autotrader...wow.
Decided to look at downsizing to something cheaper and better on gas for now. Looked at a Kia Seltos SX and was suitably impressed. They offered us $33,500 for the TH on a trade which is WELL over what we owe on it. We decided we would lease since we are only needing a vehicle for the next 3 years anyways (then off to MX). With the equity and prepaying the rest, we will end up with no car payment, better mileage and a brand new vehicle for the exact amount of time we need it. Between the gas, insurance diff, and no payment we will be saving almost $1000 a month extra...that's some serious coin. I love my TH, but....bye bye for that kind of money...lol.
We're putting in the factory order for the Seltos today (yeah, nobody has any) so we will take delivery in the next 3 months. I'll be around for a bit.

How's your weekend going? 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
From this
Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

To this: same colour with Burgundy Leather interior...it's pretty
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

The interior: It's interesting, the colour combos are different for the USA. The interior is called plum (and it's different) and it's not available on the Gravity Gray model. CDN models have Bugundy available.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHEWW!!! I thought you getting ready to say you were trading in for a Tesla...LOL!!!馃槈馃槑
Nah, not there yet...we rent our condo so would be pretty hard to get a charger installed

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Premium Member
My wrangler is still better on gas than that Kia..........kidding, but not really. That is a solid plan vehicle wise, see getting rid of the TH isn't that terrible of a thing we all do it at some point. If you really don't exploit the capabilities of the TH it doesn't make much sense to have one.

If there was a 4xe version of the Cherokee I would have got that for sure, but I guess they aren't coming to NA for a while. I just did a round trip to Regina today.........burned exactly 4 liters of gas in 160kms round trip in a 5600lb brick :)

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
The interior reminds me of the old Oxblood color (one of my favorites) :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My wrangler is still better on gas than that Kia..........kidding, but not really. That is a solid plan vehicle wise, see getting rid of the TH isn't that terrible of a thing we all do it at some point. If you really don't exploit the capabilities of the TH it doesn't make much sense to have one.

If there was a 4xe version of the Cherokee I would have got that for sure, but I guess they aren't coming to NA for a while. I just did a round trip to Regina today.........burned exactly 4 liters of gas in 160kms round trip in a 5600lb brick :)
What are the requirements for plugging it in, electrical infrastructure-wise? I'm fairly limited in this aspect with renting and underground condo parking.
Also, how much incentive did you get back on the purchase here in SK? I like how the website is all "up to $8,000 in incentives"...not in SK there isn't and not for hybrids either...

I'd have to put down at least 5X the $$$ to get anywhere near the zero payments option...

quick update:
In the end, it's really WAY more vehicle than I need at this point...and while the wife has always wanted a bright red Wrangler, a quick purvey of what it would cost to lease right now put that to bed pretty quick...lol

Premium Member
What are the requirements for plugging it in, electrical infrastructure-wise? I'm fairly limited in this aspect with renting and underground condo parking.
Also, how much incentive did you get back on the purchase here in SK? I like how the website is all "up to $8,000 in incentives"...not in SK there isn't and not for hybrids either...

I'd have to put down at least 5X the $$$ to get anywhere near the zero payments option...
Zero incentive......Pacifica Hybrid gets the rebate.....Wrangler does not, stupid right?

As for plugging in, a standard 120v plug will work it just takes 12 hours to charge when its totally depleted. Should you have access to a 240v plug or have it hard wired you can get a 240v charger which you can use to fully charge it up in just over 2 hours,

There is actually quite a few free places to charge (Peavy mart being one of them) and other places in larger centers have free chargers (Canadian Tire is $2.00 per hour to use their charger) so if you look around you can find places free if you don't have access to 240v

You said they would give you $31k Cash for your vehicle. Well since mine was 56k after discounts. Take 31k off that and you are around 28K financed or left to pay outright. Or you take all the money(or some) and put towards a lease and your lease payments would be peanuts, the other part of a lease is that because the residual on Wranglers is so high you would do quite well at the end of the lease anyways.

If you don't need a wrangler you don't need a wrangler that's understandable, but i've already halved my fuel cost in city driving alone vs my Grand Cherokee in the very cold weather. Without the pure electric mode when it's very cold, i'm at 11L/100kms in the Wrangler, vs 25L/100kkms in the Jeep. When I factor in the cost to charge ($2.52) I'm saving $120 per month in the winter months and even more in the summer time due to pure electric.

Hybrid mode on the highway without pure electric is around 100kms range before the battery is done and that highway fuel economy is 5-6L/100kms even in the winter time!
Pure electric (which I've had a few days when it's been warm) has given me about 30kms, that range will go up when it's warmer out. I can charge at home, I can charge at work and if my Wife takes it to work she can charge at work, so the fuel savings is enough to put a large dent in the payments.

I didn't need a wrangler but other fuel efficient Hybrids were no one near as fun as versatile as the wrangler which is why I chose a wrangler.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Zero incentive......Pacifica Hybrid gets the rebate.....Wrangler does not, stupid right?

As for plugging in, a standard 120v plug will work it just takes 12 hours to charge when its totally depleted. Should you have access to a 240v plug or have it hard wired you can get a 240v charger which you can use to fully charge it up in just over 2 hours,

There is actually quite a few free places to charge (Peavy mart being one of them) and other places in larger centers have free chargers (Canadian Tire is $2.00 per hour to use their charger) so if you look around you can find places free if you don't have access to 240v

You said they would give you $31k Cash for your vehicle. Well since mine was 56k after discounts. Take 31k off that and you are around 28K financed or left to pay outright. Or you take all the money(or some) and put towards a lease and your lease payments would be peanuts, the other part of a lease is that because the residual on Wranglers is so high you would do quite well at the end of the lease anyways.

If you don't need a wrangler you don't need a wrangler that's understandable, but i've already halved my fuel cost in city driving alone vs my Grand Cherokee in the very cold weather. Without the pure electric mode when it's very cold, i'm at 11L/100kms in the Wrangler, vs 25L/100kkms in the Jeep. When I factor in the cost to charge ($2.52) I'm saving $120 per month in the winter months and even more in the summer time due to pure electric.

Hybrid mode on the highway without pure electric is around 100kms range before the battery is done and that highway fuel economy is 5-6L/100kms even in the winter time!
Pure electric (which I've had a few days when it's been warm) has given me about 30kms, that range will go up when it's warmer out. I can charge at home, I can charge at work and if my Wife takes it to work she can charge at work, so the fuel savings is enough to put a large dent in the payments.

I didn't need a wrangler but other fuel efficient Hybrids were no one near as fun as versatile as the wrangler which is why I chose a wrangler.
Will the Wrangler tow the new camper Tyler???馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kia offered me $33,500 on my trade...

Premium Member
Kia offered me $33,500 on my trade...
Ok so then take $2500 off of the number I quoted, so $25500 to finance on a Wrangler similar to mine.

As for towing, Its rated to tow 3500lbs, people have towed Geo Pro's with Wranglers but a few issues.

1. My trailer is 660lbs tongue weight when I have everything loaded up (freshwater ect) and weighs 3900bs
2. Wrangler 4xe Payload is 850lbs. So That leaves me with 190lbs of payload for me, and family and other stuff, so it's not happening. That's why I still have my Grand Cherokee

However when we do go boondocking i'll be able to run the camper off the HV battery in the 4xe without any issues so that's kind of fun, coupled with the lithium battery in my Grand Cherokee we will be able to go for days without having to recharge.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok so then take $2500 off of the number I quoted, so $25500 to finance on a Wrangler similar to mine.
LOL...dude, that's almost as much as I'm starting at for the entire loaded Kia...plus Jeep's interest rate is almost double what Kia is offering.
It adds up
And in case anyone is wondering why I'm worrying about interest rates when I'm talking about a zero payment lease: Fun fact about leases, you have to pre-pay ALL the interest on the residual value up front...calculated at their rate.

Reactions: AZJeeper

Registered
鈥淓lvira鈥 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
But after 2 Trailhawks and a couple 100K kms (between both), it is time to wave goodbye. (soon)

The wife is retiring next year and I'm following 2 years after that so we are switching to maximum saving mode (as opposed to moderate). Rising gas prices made me start rethinking the TH to start with, but now it's getting nuts.
I got an email offer from my local Jeep dealer for almost $31K cash for my 2019 with 62K kms on it which I thought was absolutely crazy, but then I looked at what they're going for on autotrader...wow.
Decided to look at downsizing to something cheaper and better on gas for now. Looked at a Kia Seltos SX and was suitably impressed. They offered us $33,500 for the TH on a trade which is WELL over what we owe on it. We decided we would lease since we are only needing a vehicle for the next 3 years anyways (then off to MX). With the equity and prepaying the rest, we will end up with no car payment, better mileage and a brand new vehicle for the exact amount of time we need it. Between the gas, insurance diff, and no payment we will be saving almost $1000 a month extra...that's some serious coin. I love my TH, but....bye bye for that kind of money...lol.
We're putting in the factory order for the Seltos today (yeah, nobody has any) so we will take delivery in the next 3 months. I'll be around for a bit.

How's your weekend going? 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
From this
View attachment 218712

To this: same colour with Burgundy Leather interior...it's pretty
View attachment 218713
The interior: It's interesting, the colour combos are different for the USA. The interior is called plum (and it's different) and it's not available on the Gravity Gray model. CDN models have Bugundy available.
View attachment 218714
I love that interior color palette! It鈥檚 a shame Jeep axed all of the other color palettes in the KL, I loved the Indigo Blue/Brown and the Grand Canyon Brown, but I was a day late and a dollar short for those.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love that interior color palette! It鈥檚 a shame Jeep axed all of the other color palettes in the KL, I loved the Indigo Blue/Brown and the Grand Canyon Brown, but I was a day late and a dollar short for those.
Oh I hear yah, my first TH was a white with the brown interior...we absolutely loved the colour inside, I was very grumpy when they quit offering it. I always thought they should have had the brown interior as an option on the red...but they never did.

Registered
WHEWW!!! I thought you getting ready to say you were trading in for a Tesla...LOL!!!馃槈馃槑
My wife said I want a bigger Jeep! I told her to get a better payoff job! So now we have our purple jku!if you want to play you have to pay, if you can鈥檛 pay buy a Prius!?feeling blunt but honest today! Happy Jeeping or Prius riding!馃槂

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
My wife said I want a bigger Jeep! I told her to get a better payoff job! So now we have our purple jku!if you want to play you have to pay, if you can鈥檛 pay buy a Prius!?feeling blunt but honest today! Happy Jeeping or Prius riding!馃槂
I'll be keeping my Trailhawk Dan...馃槈馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my case, with retirement looming, I'm paying myself...play later...on the beach...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts