2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
This needs to stop!!!!!!!!! Everytime I get on the forum on my phone this pops up, and no I don't want to use the app. Not only is it popping up every single time. But when I select not now it won't go away. Hell I want it to give me a never option.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This needs to stop!!!!!!!!! Everytime I get on the forum on my phone this pops up, and no I don't want to use the app. Not only is it popping up every single time. But when I select not now it won't go away. Hell I want it to give me a never option.
View attachment 210403
Hey there,

As mentioned this may be a cookie issue. Please clear the ones you currently have saved, click "not now" one more time and tell me if you're still seeing this message.

If I can be put in such a user group...
While the base is similar, this site does not run on a traditional version of Xenforo. We can certainly work on getting a similar function if you're interested in developing this, but it does mean that any future updates to this software wouldn't be available.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Hey there,

As mentioned this may be a cookie issue. Please clear the ones you currently have saved, click "not now" one more time and tell me if you're still seeing this message.

While the base is similar, this site does not run on a traditional version of Xenforo. We can certainly work on getting a similar function if you're interested in developing this, but it does mean that any future updates to this software wouldn't be available.

-Gerrit
Ok then... not a standard XenForo version. That makes things difficult. These Push notifications have become nagging since a recent update to this forum platform, so something has changed. Question is : what can you guys do about it ? Is this configurable at your end ? I mean a complete opt out of the nagging/constant reminder, on each login. That would be nice...

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I mean a complete opt out of the nagging/constant reminder, on each login. That would be nice...
I'm fortunately not getting bugged by this. But I do have an inherent hatred for webmasters who thinks it's OK to bug about this or that feature even once. If people want push notifications they can enable it themselves in the options.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I'm fortunately not getting bugged by this. But I do have an inherent hatred for webmasters who thinks it's OK to bug about this or that feature even once. If people want push notifications they can enable it themselves in the options.
Could be a browser thing. I use FF with script and ad blockers. Maybe Chrome handles this better ? Edge ? Big FF fan here, not looking forward to a browser swap for this site, but... I might...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm using FF with Adblock and don't have a problem. I clicked 'Not Now" the first time it came up and haven't seen it since.
In Options > Privacy and Security > Cookies and Site Data: I do NOT have the box checked to "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed"

Does that help?

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I'm using FF with Adblock and don't have a problem. I clicked 'Not Now" the first time it came up and haven't seen it since.
In Options > Privacy and Security > Cookies and Site Data: I do NOT have the box checked to "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed"

Does that help?
Yeah mine is set like yours. The kicker here seems to be that logging out resets the Push thing. If you just close the browser without logging out, you're fine. I'm in the habit of logging out... so I'm stuck with this problem (nagging).

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ah, yeah. I don't generally log out of my forums, just close the browser.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey there,

-Gerrit
I'll try that thanks

Could be a browser thing. I use FF with script and ad blockers. Maybe Chrome handles this better ? Edge ? Big FF fan here, not looking forward to a browser swap for this site, but... I might...
I'm using Chrome.

I also never log out of the site.

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok then... not a standard XenForo version. That makes things difficult. These Push notifications have become nagging since a recent update to this forum platform, so something has changed. Question is : what can you guys do about it ? Is this configurable at your end ? I mean a complete opt out of the nagging/constant reminder, on each login. That would be nice...
Hey Mark_

Can you confirm for me you have cleared your browsing cookies from any potentially corrupted session cookies, and that you have either selected "not now" or otherwise dismissed the message appropriately - clicking away from the message does not dismiss it, it snoozes the alert. You should no longer see the message, but if you do I can look into it further.

-Gerit

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Hey Mark_

Can you confirm for me you have cleared your browsing cookies from any potentially corrupted session cookies, and that you have either selected "not now" or otherwise dismissed the message appropriately - clicking away from the message does not dismiss it, it snoozes the alert. You should no longer see the message, but if you do I can look into it further.

-Gerit
Hi,

Not sure I know what you mean by clearing browsing cookies "from any potentially corrupted session cookies", but here's where things stand right now : I get that push windows every time I log into the forum, from my computer. With feedback I've gotten here, I decided to try not logging out, just closing the browser sometimes (I have FireFox setup to restart with past session/tabs) ; this does not provoque the push prompt.
Tried it again just now to be sure : logging out and back in, I get the push window, and I click "not now".

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey,

Cookies are small files which are stored on a user's computer. They are designed to hold a modest amount of data specific to a particular information piece, like dismissing a pop up. Sometimes there are errors that occur when things are stored, and sometimes they register incorrectly to otherwise become corrupted. Clearing these would help reset the issue usually, which is why the often recommended resolution to these issues is to clear your cache and cookies. Both can be accomplished in your browsers settings. However; if you've found a solution that works otherwise, that can work too.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Hey,

Cookies are small files which are stored on a user's computer. They are designed to hold a modest amount of data specific to a particular information piece, like dismissing a pop up. Sometimes there are errors that occur when things are stored, and sometimes they register incorrectly to otherwise become corrupted. Clearing these would help reset the issue usually, which is why the often recommended resolution to these issues is to clear your cache and cookies. Both can be accomplished in your browsers settings. However; if you've found a solution that works otherwise, that can work too.

-Gerrit
Ok. My cookies are probably just fine then.

Let me recap why I posted about this, and what I hoped could happen :
I posted about this because, after a recent forum upgrade, I was/am getting the Push prompt at loggin. I was not getting that before...
By asking here, I was hoping there was a setting, an option to turn this OFF.

Reading between the lines, I understand that this "new feature" is beyond your control now, and getting that prompt is the new normal when logging into the forum. Or pehaps it is working as you intended (?). Maybe having more members logged in is good for your stats or whatever. Guess it's less noticeable on mobile as we tend to never log out of anything, but on the computer I do like to log out. Guess I'll have to adapt..

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

I posted about this because, after a recent forum upgrade, I was/am getting the Push prompt at loggin. I was not getting that before...

Reading between the lines, I understand that this "new feature" is beyond your control now, and getting that prompt is the new normal when logging into the forum. Or pehaps it is working as you intended (?). Maybe having more members logged in is good for your stats or whatever. Guess it's less noticeable on mobile as we tend to never log out of anything, but on the computer I do like to log out. Guess I'll have to adapt..
Nothing wrong in your end. I get the same when logging in. It's all down to the superior arrogance of web admins pushing their crap features on unsuspecting users. They could remove this notification any time they wanted.

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

The Push prompt was designed to point you to the settings section where you could enable or disable it. The "not now" was to snooze this prompt until your cookies naturally expire. We did not quite anticipate that pointing users towards their settings needed a "no" option, but that is something we're looking in to now. We also didn't expect that these prompts would be viewed quite as pushy. But thanks to feedback like yours we're working on a way to make this feature better.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
The Push prompt was designed to point you to the settings section where you could enable or disable it. The "not now" was to snooze this prompt until your cookies naturally expire. We did not quite anticipate that pointing users towards their settings needed a "no" option, but that is something we're looking in to now.
So, you're saying that if I follow the prompt to the settings and select "no" I will never see the prompt again? That would work too; the way the prompt is worded I got the impression that by clicking it I wasn't taken to the settings to get a choice, but the push notifications was automatically enabled right away.

We also didn't expect that these prompts would be viewed quite as pushy.
I really don't like any of these prompts, on any site. But at least for me the real bugbear here is the sheer persistence of it. So even though no prompting at all would be optimal from my point of view, a "go away and don't ever show again" option would sure go a long way.

But thanks to feedback like yours we're working on a way to make this feature better.
Thanks for listening! That really does make a difference. 🙂

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So, you're saying that if I follow the prompt to the settings and select "no" I will never see the prompt again? That would work too; the way the prompt is worded I got the impression that by clicking it I wasn't taken to the settings to get a choice, but the push notifications was automatically enabled right away.

I really don't like any of these prompts, on any site. But at least for me the real bugbear here is the sheer persistence of it. So even though no prompting at all would be optimal from my point of view, a "go away and don't ever show again" option would sure go a long way.

Thanks for listening! That really does make a difference. 🙂
In theory, I believe it should. If you're apprehensive you can just cut out the middleman and set your preferences here: https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/account/preferences
I only am apprehensive in this, is because the push notifications were supposed to act one way, and have shown resilience to not always act that way...
Sit tight if you are apprehensive based on this explanation as I think we're getting a fix out within a week. Might be a touch longer.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
In theory, I believe it should. If you're apprehensive you can just cut out the middleman and set your preferences here: https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/account/preferences
I only am apprehensive in this, is because the push notifications were supposed to act one way, and have shown resilience to not always act that way...
Sit tight if you are apprehensive based on this explanation as I think we're getting a fix out within a week. Might be a touch longer.

-Gerrit
Gerrit,

Going to Preferences and disabling everything with push in the name is what I did, immediately after noticing this new behavior. It hasn't stopped the Push window from returning on loggin. Let's give this a week, or so...

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Gerrit,

Going to Preferences and disabling everything with push in the name is what I did, immediately after noticing this new behavior. It hasn't stopped the Push window from returning on loggin. Let's give this a week, or so...
So I realized after I had posted, that I didn't get to the root of your problem. I pushed for it and managed to squeak in an amendment to the window. You shouldn't see it any more after dismissing it. Like ever

-Gerrit

41 - 60 of 62 Posts