2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I absolutely hate the new change from my work computer using Internet Explorer. Gigantic Icons for the Reply, Share, Bookmark, and Report buttons. Image attached. Looks good on my mobile browser though.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Well I absolutely hate the new change from my work computer using Internet Explorer. Gigantic Icons for the Reply, Share, Bookmark, and Report buttons. Image attached. Looks good on my mobile browser though.
Internet Explorer ? Are you guys still on Windows 7 ? You should tell work that IE is a security risk, and if still on Windows 7, that operating system comes to its end of life in a few weeks (January 14). IE is a dinosaur, sorry...

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
UGH!
It was so much easier to navigate the previous version. I have seen this "upgrade" on a few other forums, and IMHO, it's much harder to navigate. Is there a quick way to see the last day, last 2 days, last 3 days, etc? That's where I would usually start,
It takes a little bit of adjusting but using the NEW icon, near the upper right-hand corner with take you to all new UNREAD posts automatically.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure what's so upsetting with the now forum software. This coming from someone who HATES UI changes, but most functionality doesn't seem that different from the old one?

It's now working on my phone browser without having to switch to the desktop version (I run a very ad-restrictive configuration), which is nice, the dark mode is nice, and it's easier, I think, to get a list of posts I or a specific member have posted - I found the old forum very convoluted on that one. The showcase function may have possibilities, I'm still holding judgement on that.

A couple of things did annoy me on the desktop version, like signatures being truncated and it being overly generous on what behavior (aka "current activity") the forum is revealing to others. But I found options to adjust that in the settings, so that's good.

I do have two questions:

- There's looong list of notification "alerts" - that are all enabled by default, and I've disabled all of them. But what do they even do? I.e. how would that notification manifest itself? I assume it's just a pop-up when you're logged in, since there are other settings for email notifications?

- Is it possible to disable the "recommended reading" in the bottom of the page altogether? I'm pretty sure an algorithm can't do a better job of figuring out what I should read than I can myself, and I'd really like to avoid wasting time always ending up seeing that when I speed-scroll to the bottom of a page to view the latest post.
You may have had some leftover alerts or it may simply be that you earned of the trophies automatically (based on your stats from the old site) so you got them all at once.

You can CHOOSE how you see signatures.

New Signature Tutorial

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

The recommended reading section cannot be disabled at this time, but you can just ignore it. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Make that three questions, since I got one more...:

Is there any way to disable the entire right-hand side bar? It's a waste of space, and an unnecessary distraction.

I don't need to know how many replies and participants a discussion have, I can find the forum main page and any sub forums myself no problem, and I would really prefer to not get any "popular community" proposals.

Thank you!
At this time, disabling the sidebar is not an option. That being said, they are working on making that sidebar more relevant for us.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How about... an alternate theme, Classic mode. While this is progress its horror to me.
This isn't a new theme. It is a whole new platform, so classic mode isn't an option.

Not speaking on behalf of the forum or the Admins, but I think this is all new software. It's not going to be able to look like the other forum software you're used to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the platform that are largely fueled by community feedback. That does not mean we will be able to action all feedback offered, but it does mean we are listening and will make changes as needed. It won't happen overnight, but week by week, we will get where we need to be. :)

EDGE on Windows 10 does not work! Can't post replies and searches ect.
Firefox works just fine though.
Actually I have been mitigating away from "Edge" as I have been having some issues with other web pages also. Some are worse than others but yours is high up on the list. It simply will not post ect.
Just a comment on the subject.
Currently, the site is optimized for modern browsers that support display on devices ranging from desktop to tablet to mobile. Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge have some limitations across devices but we are working on finding ways to improve compatibility while maintaining as much of the function and design as possible. Are you able to try Google Chrome or Firefox as an alternative? I think you will find a much nicer experience on the site from one of the alternative browsers available.

Just so I get my expectations right, how long after posting to the help section linked in your signature before we can generally expect a reply from an admin? I'm not in a hurry at all, I just wanted to make sure it'll be attended to eventually, and that I have indeed posted my questions to the right place. :)

Thanks!!
Normally, my response is much quicker, but for some reason, I did not get my alerts (in our ticket system) that there had been replies to this thread.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Currently, the site is optimized for modern browsers that support display on devices ranging from desktop to tablet to mobile. Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge have some limitations across devices but we are working on finding ways to improve compatibility while maintaining as much of the function and design as possible. Are you able to try Google Chrome or Firefox as an alternative? I think you will find a much nicer experience on the site from one of the alternative browsers available.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Not sure what's so upsetting with the now forum software. This coming from someone who HATES UI changes, but most functionality doesn't seem that different from the old one?
Hmm. I might have to take some of that back since I've come across quite a few pretty annoying features, as I've used the new UI more. Still, it's it's all just code, and I understand it's still being worked on. So hopefully we'll get settings to allow us to customize/disable features that not everybody likes.

@VS-Admin - To that end, would it be possible to give some transparency into the backlog the developers are working on? I realize it's a very fluid thing, but having a way to know that things are at least being looked at might help adapting to our new world.

Thanks again for all your work on this! :)

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hmm. I might have to take some of that back since I've come across quite a few pretty annoying features, as I've used the new UI more. Still, it's it's all just code, and I understand it's still being worked on. So hopefully we'll get settings to allow us to customize/disable features that not everybody likes.

@VS-Admin - To that end, would it be possible to give some transparency into the backlog the developers are working on? I realize it's a very fluid thing, but having a way to know that things are at least being looked at might help adapting to our new world.

Thanks again for all your work on this! :)
Unfortunately, I usually find out what is coming just before all y'all do.

We pass on the feedback to them and they prioritize everything from there. I do know a lot if in the works right now.

You can follow the progress here.

- Cricket

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is funny how many times I have read "it is being worked on" in this thread. Was there no beta period before this went live ? Did not any one QA this, was there no useability poll during the beta ? I am sorry this has been one big cluster IMHO. Generally before something customer facing like this goes live there is an extended Beta/QA period (see what reddit did for a GOOD example of how to do it right). What company did you go through, I want to make sure I never do business with them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Vertical Scope forums have also switched-over many other forums to this same layout, I would hope they incorporated the updates and fixes from those previous "upgrades" before they applied the next one... :unsure:

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
It is funny how many times I have read "it is being worked on" in this thread. Was there no beta period before this went live ? Did not any one QA this, was there no useability poll during the beta ? I am sorry this has been one big cluster IMHO. Generally before something customer facing like this goes live there is an extended Beta/QA period (see what reddit did for a GOOD example of how to do it right). What company did you go through, I want to make sure I never do business with them.
They run hundreds of car forums (cars, trucks, SUVs, etc..) plus hundreds more non automotive. They won't/can't run beta forums for all of them, it's impossible. So some communities were probably asked to participate on a few beta forums, to test XenForo, but not here obviously. The KL forum is probably one of their smaller automotive forums anyway..

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If y'all are interested in seeing the improvements that are made, and the progress as it is being made you can follow along with our Release Notes:

All updates are based on feedback, and they take time to develop and we appreciate the patience given as we make these updates for you. :)

-Gerrit

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Hello,
There was, I think, an upgrade done to the forum a few days ago. Since then, I keep getting prompts to allow Push notifications. I don't want Push notifications and I want this prompting to stop. How do I go about making this stop ? Thanks.
Edit to add : I'm using a computer, not mobile.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I went to my profile... So even though there is a setting to enable Push notifications in there, one I haven't turned on, there are a few dozen types of notifications that are set to Alert and Push. Heh. I disabled all of them, so now I wait...

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
So... I signed out and back in. This is what I was greeted with :

GRRRRRrrrrr. And then I click on a topic and get this annoying prompt again. This needs to stop. Thank you.

·
Administrator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So... I signed out and back in. This is what I was greeted with :

GRRRRRrrrrr. And then I click on a topic and get this annoying prompt again. This needs to stop. Thank you.
Hello,

We use these cookies to ensure the settings you prefer are saved. You should only see this once, but if you are still seeing it multiple times it could be for a myriad of reasons. If you are blocking cookies on the site, preventing them from being saved, or if you click away from the message are some of the ways you may encounter this issue. The pop up will then go away until you log in from a new device, or if you log in on an incognito browser. If it is popping up on every page load, you may have a corrupted cookie in your session, in which case you should clear cookies and you should see this pop-up once more and then not again.
That being said cookies do also naturally expire over a time so you will see it down the road too, but it shouldn't be an every instance issue. If I haven't touched on any reason why you specifically are still seeing the pop-up, please let me know and I can dig further. Let me know what device and browser you are using so I can best record this issue and work to fix it if there is something I can affect.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Hello,

We use these cookies to ensure the settings you prefer are saved. You should only see this once, but if you are still seeing it multiple times it could be for a myriad of reasons. If you are blocking cookies on the site, preventing them from being saved, or if you click away from the message are some of the ways you may encounter this issue. The pop up will then go away until you log in from a new device, or if you log in on an incognito browser. If it is popping up on every page load, you may have a corrupted cookie in your session, in which case you should clear cookies and you should see this pop-up once more and then not again.
That being said cookies do also naturally expire over a time so you will see it down the road too, but it shouldn't be an every instance issue. If I haven't touched on any reason why you specifically are still seeing the pop-up, please let me know and I can dig further. Let me know what device and browser you are using so I can best record this issue and work to fix it if there is something I can affect.

-Gerrit
Thanks.

I'm seeing this a lot less, so something may have been going on with how I was dealing with cookies. For the last couple days, I seem to get this only once after loggin, so inline with your explanation.
I still don't understand the settings we have via our account though ; it appears that we should be able to totally disable Push for everything, but clearly this isn't happening. Perhaps XenForo should include more details for us to see in there, so we know what to expect.

I'll let you folks know if things get out of hand again.

Cheers,

21 - 40 of 62 Posts