2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you get the Car back, and how's it holding up to this rain? They really will not consider covering some of the repair even though it is a manufacturing defect?
I found and fixed two body leaks in the Left rear, one under the tail light assy ( missing body seal) and a crack in the seam on the rear pillar. My Front Drivers side is totally flooded, but the back is now dried out . I have already removed the drivers side carpet and cut off the firewall blanket ( it was moldy) and I can see the water running in from the left side, ( verified with a endoscope, so my cowling will have to come out as I think it is missing or bad seal job on the Load Beam on the engine side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am now waiting for more rain. I live in Everett and use the Monroe dealership, have not had any issue with them except when they backed my car into a post for an oil change, they fixed it right away.
I will post my findings when I figure this out
Why wait for rain? I'm at this thread after driving home last night with a foggy windshield. I blasted the front defroster, alternating hot and cold, put down the windows, and ran the wipers, all in the name of finding my way back to camp safely. I probably used a quart of windshield wiper fluid in the process. When I got back to camp, I had a small puddle on the front passenger floor, and was grateful I always run with my mud mats to catch water and rocks. The water had a telltale stream coming from the upper left, at the panel where you change the cabin filter. My filter box door recently broke again, so it has fallen off and sticks out of that panel slightly. In this way, it became a sort of channel for my windshield washer fluid. With that evidence and this thread, I'm able to determine I must have that cowl leak. I'm wondering now where it would have gone were that cabin filter door not resting just so?

Incidentally, I had a deer crash last year that wiped out the right front side of my vehicle. I'm fairly certain after looking at the TSB that something was left off (or not sealed properly) when they reconstructed it at the body shop. Sigh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Incidentally, I had a deer crash last year that wiped out the right front side of my vehicle. I'm fairly certain after looking at the TSB that something was left off (or not sealed properly) when they reconstructed it at the body shop.
I just thought I should update this thread to say that I took my Cherokee to a Jeep body shop to follow-up with some issues after last year's deer crash. I added my concern about the new leak to the body shop and my insurance rep. They did indeed discover a seam under the fender that had not been properly sealed. I'm happy to say that after driving in several downpours, I've not had any water in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a used Jeep Cherokee 2017 earlier this year and have a major water leak to rear passenger footwell. Every time it rains the footwell carpet is covered with water. Initial diagnostic couldn’t find the leak so now into stripping seats and carpets out.....not great for a 4 x 4....JEEP!

Jeep themselves state there is no recall on this model and year so I guess tough....our cars leak.

There is no sign of water staining on roof, doors, trims etc Has anybody else had this specific issue? Any advice appreciated as this is driving me carzy....see!!!
2015 Jeep Cherokee, Sport Utility vin 8061
I have it in the shop for a leak into the wheel well and right back passenger side floor. They just let me know there is no leak from the top of Jeep, so now they will be taking out the seat and carpet. I have never ever owned a car that leaked before.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
There are lots of places where water can leak into the vehicle.
Apparently they have ruled out the sun roof if you have one.
There can be cracks in the rear hatch opening in the top corners.
Water can leak under the rubber seal attached to car body for the rear hatch.
Water can come in through the 2 air flaps in the lower rear corners of the trunk.
If water gets in it can mess with the computers buried in the lower trunk area.
Use "Search Community" above to find lots of Posts.
Was there ever any body damage from an accident?
There are drain holes in the bottom of the doors, if they are plugged, water can leak into the vehicle.
Make sure the TSBs for the splash cover over a module in the trunk is done. Check with your Jeep dealer.
That's about all I can think of right now.
Also Recall R27 if applicable. Only if you have a power lift gate.
Just rediscovered the Attachment in Post #21 above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Trailhawk and it just started to leak. The dealership just called. The cowling is where the leak is. Half the front end of the Jeep comes off to fix it. AND it's not under warranty of course so $1200. I am surprised Jeep is not taking care of this. A vehicle should not leak, not because of a poor weld. I am going to push this up the Jeep tree and see if I can get some action. Has anyone else had any luck?
2018 TrailHawk and I am currently on leak check 2.0. I had the front and passenger carpets soaked awhile back, never found anything. I had put Dynamat down in the front after tearing the interior up front all apart to check for the cowling leak, no luck. Put it back together and now a little over a year later with my windows always fogged up on the inside I check and carpets are wet again. Currently I am still investigating and driving around with no carpet, no seats in back, no spare tire and the entire left back interior removed.
I am now waiting for more rain. I live in Everett and use the Monroe dealership, have not had any issue with them except when they backed my car into a post for an oil change, they fixed it right away.
I will post my findings when I figure this out View attachment 213088
I live in Renton, Looks like I have a body problem in my Jeep I have it in the shop for a leak into the wheel well and right back passenger side floor. They just let me know there is no leak from the top of Jeep, so now they will be taking out the seat and carpet. I have never ever owned a car that leaked before.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I live in Renton, Looks like I have a body problem in my Jeep I have it in the shop for a leak into the wheel well and right back passenger side floor. They just let me know there is no leak from the top of Jeep, so now they will be taking out the seat and carpet. I have never ever owned a car that leaked before.
Sucks, I had the car stripped out completely at different times, finding the leak was a bitch, through a TSB, I found the leak in the front quarter panel area, had to remove the front quarter panel and windshield cowling to get at the factory missed body sealer.
finding the source can be time consuming, that was last year.
If it can go through the amount of Rainfall we are seeing then I say the job was a success. It is still dry.
I live up the road from Renton and we have had plenty if not too much rain/snow recently.
Good luck

21 - 28 of 28 Posts