2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Jeep Cherokee 2017 earlier this year and have a major water leak to rear passenger footwell. Every time it rains the footwell carpet is covered with water. Initial diagnostic couldn’t find the leak so now into stripping seats and carpets out.....not great for a 4 x 4....JEEP!

Jeep themselves state there is no recall on this model and year so I guess tough....our cars leak.

There is no sign of water staining on roof, doors, trims etc Has anybody else had this specific issue? Any advice appreciated as this is driving me carzy....see!!!

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,888 Posts
I bought a used Jeep Cherokee 2017 earlier this year and have a major water leak to rear passenger footwell. Every time it rains the footwell carpet is covered with water. Initial diagnostic couldn’t find the leak so now into stripping seats and carpets out.....not great for a 4 x 4....JEEP!

Jeep themselves state there is no recall on this model and year so I guess tough....our cars leak.

There is no sign of water staining on roof, doors, trims etc Has anybody else had this specific issue? Any advice appreciated as this is driving me carzy....see!!!
Do you have a pano sunroof?

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Yes, but no sign of leaking when driving in the rain?
It's possible that the drains are clogged up. This is very common. I'm going to say, that is where the water is coming from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's possible that the drains are clogged up. This is very common. I'm going to say, that is where the water is coming from.
This. Not uncommon on any vehicle with a sun roof. Previous owner may have parked it under a tree. If you have acees to compressed air you might try to blow it out. Some times its just build up at the entrance to the drain.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
7 Posts
I have a 2016 Trailhawk and it just started to leak. The dealership just called. The cowling is where the leak is. Half the front end of the Jeep comes off to fix it. AND it's not under warranty of course so $1200. I am surprised Jeep is not taking care of this. A vehicle should not leak, not because of a poor weld. I am going to push this up the Jeep tree and see if I can get some action. Has anyone else had any luck?

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I have a 2016 Trailhawk and it just started to leak. The dealership just called. The cowling is where the leak is. Half the front end of the Jeep comes off to fix it. AND it's not under warranty of course so $1200. I am surprised Jeep is not taking care of this. A vehicle should not leak, not because of a poor weld. I am going to push this up the Jeep tree and see if I can get some action. Has anyone else had any luck?
What is leaking? Oil? Coolant? Also, where exactly is the leak?That's an important detail needed for us to try and help you...😎

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sheesh, good point. Water. Lots and lots of water. the passenger side of the Jeep has an inch of water. There is a gap in a weld and the sealer is missing from the factory. They want $1200 plus to pull the Jeep apart to reseal the front cowling not under warranty of course.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Sheesh, good point. Water. Lots and lots of water. the passenger side of the Jeep has an inch of water. There is a gap in a weld and the sealer is missing from the factory. They want $1200 plus to pull the Jeep apart to reseal the front cowling not under warranty of course.
So you have water infiltrating the cabin??? Like water from outside, not coolant from the cooling system right???

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is correct, the dealership found it to be outside water leaking into the cabin via the cowling or firewall right under the windshield on the passenger side. The sealant between the panels has gaps. So, I am paying $1200 plus for a factory error. The Jeep before this one was returned under the Lemon Law. As you can assume, this will be the last Jeep product I will ever own. The thing has 40k miles and lives in a garage but leaks? The dealership, in Monroe WA. is doing all they can but their hands are tied by Corp.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is correct, the dealership found it to be outside water leaking into the cabin via the cowling or firewall right under the windshield on the passenger side. The sealant between the panels has gaps. So, I am paying $1200 plus for a factory error. The Jeep before this one was returned under the Lemon Law. As you can assume, this will be the last Jeep product I will ever own. The thing has 40k miles and lives in a garage but leaks? The dealership, in Monroe WA. is doing all they can but their hands are tied by Corp.
2018 TrailHawk and I am currently on leak check 2.0. I had the front and passenger carpets soaked awhile back, never found anything. I had put Dynamat down in the front after tearing the interior up front all apart to check for the cowling leak, no luck. Put it back together and now a little over a year later with my windows always fogged up on the inside I check and carpets are wet again. Currently I am still investigating and driving around with no carpet, no seats in back, no spare tire and the entire left back interior removed.
I am now waiting for more rain. I live in Everett and use the Monroe dealership, have not had any issue with them except when they backed my car into a post for an oil change, they fixed it right away.
I will post my findings when I figure this out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Same here. I am in Mill Creek / Everett area and use the Monroe dealership. I just dont like paying for something I feel should be a lifetime warranty, water leaks like this. Maybe not a door seal but a body panel that the entire front end of the car is removed to get to? Yeah, never again. Sorry to hear you have the issue too. Has the dealer in Monroe looked at it yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot, my leak is in the firewall / cowling right under the windshield. Passenger side. About 4" of sealer is missing between the panel and the frame below the windshield.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Sounds like a trip to Home Depot is in order. A caulking gun, a tube of silicone can be had for like $12 or so. Way cheaper than $1200, if you are sure that's where the water is coming in. Do you happen to have a moonroof? That's usually the main culprit for water infiltration...😎

·
Registered
7 Posts
No moon or sun roof. According to the dealer, the hood is off, the front right fender of off. Several other body panels. More than what I want to take on.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
No moon or sun roof. According to the dealer, the hood is off, the front right fender of off. Several other body panels. More than what I want to take on.
Well, I hope they at least gave you a loaner and a kiss during foreplay, before they reamed your rectal region...😎

·
Registered
7 Posts
A crap loaner and a "please just buy another Jeep, maybe that one won't leak"
I have had soft top Wranglers before that never leaked, once. Amazing actually. But a hard top SUV leaking like a sieve? I don't know if anyone from Jeep looks at these posts but obviously this is a common issue. The dealership knew exactly where to look.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi, Same here. I am in Mill Creek / Everett area and use the Monroe dealership. I just dont like paying for something I feel should be a lifetime warranty, water leaks like this. Maybe not a door seal but a body panel that the entire front end of the car is removed to get to? Yeah, never again. Sorry to hear you have the issue too. Has the dealer in Monroe looked at it yet?
My first investigation a year ago was flooding the hell out of the cowl area, no leak. Now I am wet from the left aft wheel well to the front floor.
This very time consuming and would never pay to have someone do this, and in the end I know it will be done right.
Yes, if there is missing sealant you should not be responsible for one penny since it is a factory mistake, period!
I am finding out quickly how crappy cars are built these days......very. But I am stuck, yes stuck with mine till a shopping cart runs into it and the insurance company totals it

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
693 Posts
TSB 23-015-16 Rev A
Group: Body
Date: 4-13-2016
Subject: Water on front carpet or in rocker side sill.
Symptom/Condition: this is my short version -sealant void on the body seam.

hope this will help you out and they should know this is a TSB.
I know it’s for 2015-2016 KL’s, but as we have all seen they never seem to fix their build problems and people continue to get the junk they build for years after they know of the problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts