2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, can you send us a private message with your VIN and a copy of your repair order? We would like to look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Katilin,
Sorry for the delay. I have busy remodeling a house and haven't had much time to play on the internet, and haven't looked at this site in a while. I got some email today stating something had been posted, so I checked the site and saw your request. I am not sure how to send a private message...I'm not very tech minded. Ha! How does one do that? Also, I we got a letter a couple weeks ago advising that FCA had extended the PTU warranty to 8 years/150,000 miles. There was a form to send in if seeking reimbursement of prior costs. I filled that form in and mailed it. I tried using the on-line version of that submittal form, but the website wouldn't accept it. So, I used the paper form and mailed it. I hope that was related to this particular repair. Thanks for responding and sorry for my late reply.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I can attest to this. I had the recall performed and several months later the input splines failed. This happened while my wife was driving down the interstate at 70 miles per hour using the inside lane to pass a slower vehicle. She was able to limp it to the side of the road and call for roadside assistance. This happened during the winter and it was -20 degrees outside (she was traversing Minnesota). Thankfully the car was still running and she was able to use the heat. It was about an hour wait for the tow truck. The repairs at a Jeep dealer were in excess of $3,000.00 to replace the PTU. The software upgrade did not prevent anything. We have, however, received notice that FCA has extended the PTU warranty to 8 years/150,000 miles...of course we got that letter several months after we paid for the repairs. We did submit a form seeking reimbursement of those costs, but I'm not going to hold my breath....I'm sure there will be some exception. The letter said that if you have any questions, you can call FCA US LLC Customer Care at 1-877-426-5337. The shameful thing is that my wife absolutely loves her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and was planning on buying another to replace this one. I think we'll wait on that purchase to see what happens.
Yes I saw your post before and responded in post #30 just before JEEP Cares did.
They say they will reimburse so that’s what they should do. Wish they had gone longer then 8 years I don’t put lots of miles on mine , I have just over 35,000 miles and bought it December 2014.
I’m hoping the new improved PTU will really be improved too, no matter when anyone gets theirs replaced .
The early model Transmissions are a joke too and that extended warranty has already been passed for me.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,495 Posts
Katilin,
Sorry for the delay. I have busy remodeling a house and haven't had much time to play on the internet, and haven't looked at this site in a while. I got some email today stating something had been posted, so I checked the site and saw your request. I am not sure how to send a private message...I'm not very tech minded. Ha! How does one do that? Also, I we got a letter a couple weeks ago advising that FCA had extended the PTU warranty to 8 years/150,000 miles. There was a form to send in if seeking reimbursement of prior costs. I filled that form in and mailed it. I tried using the on-line version of that submittal form, but the website wouldn't accept it. So, I used the paper form and mailed it. I hope that was related to this particular repair. Thanks for responding and sorry for my late reply.
Hi WYSteve, we responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 38,160 miles on the odometer. We took the vehicle into a local dealer in August 2020 for the software update in response to recall W47. The update was completed. I didn't know the scope of the issue or repair...but I am now. About a week ago, while my wife was driving the Jeep on the Interstate, using the inside lane, traveling at about 70 mph, while passing other traffic; the vehicle suddenly lost power. She was able to make her way to the side of the road. The emergency brake had automatically engaged and the vehicle gave a warning that it was in neutral and could roll away (absent the use of the emergency brake). The vehicle did not respond and would not move except in reverse. It was towed and a (different) dealership replaced the Driveline Control Module. After replacing that, they discovered the real issue was the PTU failed (splines) and (according to them) also cause the Driveline Control Module to fail. The failure was essentially the issue discussed in W47, but since the faulty part was not replaced during the recall, it did eventually fail, and still created a dangerous situation for my wife and the others around her. The cost of repairs was in excess of $3,000.00. I contacted FIC Customer Service, but since the failure was not (technically) the recall, there was nothing they could do. My wife loves that vehicle and was hoping to buy a new one...I am not feeling quite as warm and fuzzy about this.
It is now 6/30/21, and I wanted to provide an update to my earlier post. Jeep Cares did reach out to me. Given the extended warranty FCA provided for this issue, they arranged for us to be reimbursed for the cost of the earlier repair. We received a check shortly thereafter. I am satisfied that FCA/Jeep was willing to stand behind their product. I am now feeling quite a bit more warm and fuzzy about the wife's desire to buy another Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk when it is time to buy another new vehicle. Thank you!

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,495 Posts
It is now 6/30/21, and I wanted to provide an update to my earlier post. Jeep Cares did reach out to me. Given the extended warranty FCA provided for this issue, they arranged for us to be reimbursed for the cost of the earlier repair. We received a check shortly thereafter. I am satisfied that FCA/Jeep was willing to stand behind their product. I am now feeling quite a bit more warm and fuzzy about the wife's desire to buy another Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk when it is time to buy another new vehicle. Thank you!
Hi WYSteve,
So happy we could help! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Rob
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is now 9/7/21, and something new has happened. We live in the west and bought a house in the Midwest to be closer to family. The failure of the Jeep as outlined in my original post occurred when my wife was driving the Cherokee Trailhawk from the west to the Midwest. She had spent about 10 hours on the road when the failure occurred. She loved her Cherokee, but being left stranded along side the road in sub-zero weather at night strained her affections for the car. The car was repaired and she was able to return to our house in the west. We were later reimbursed for the repairs when the warranty period was extended.

I have been at the house in the Midwest remodeling it in preparation for our retirement. We have grandchildren near the new house, and they keep multiplying. We were looking at replacing our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee L with the third row seating and plenty of room for us and the grandkids. Personally, I love everything about the Grand Cherokee L...it is a beautiful vehicle with a lot of amenities for the price. So, my wife is due for a trip back to the Midwest house and brings along her 85 year old father. They travel about ten hours, and approximately 15 miles from where the last failure occurred, a front wheel bearing goes out. She called me to let me know that she was broken down...again. I initially thought she was joking, but her tone indicated otherwise. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk had about 42,000 miles on the odometer when the wheel bearing failed. She was able to limp it to the daughter's house which was about three miles away. I went and picked her and her father up. So, once again, her vacation time turned into a quest for repairs and not having a vehicle of her own to use. I talked with a friend of mine who bought a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, shortly after we bought ours and based on my recommendation, and learned that he had to replace a front wheel bearing, and was scheduled to have the other one replaced the following week. His vehicle has 27,000 miles on the odometer. I thought it odd to have a wheel bearing go out at 42,000 miles, and initially thought that it was maybe a fluke...a bad bearing that went south. I thought that until I spoke with my friend. We had the bearing replaced by a local dealer and it cost about $600.00.

Needless to say, my wife fell out of love with her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk after it stranded her twice in about the same place. At least the weather was nicer and we didn't need to have it towed. The idea of replacing it with another Jeep was not something we were willing to do at this time. So, we ended up trading the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which really was a beautiful car with some really comfortable seats, for a Subaru Ascent. The Subaru Ascent is about as bland in appearance as a car can be, but we're hoping that the wife can drive it the full distance instead of falling 50 miles short of her destination - twice. I was really looking forward to having that Jeep Grand Cherokee L, but you have to factor in some concerns with reliability. I will let you know how the Subaru Ascent performs. By the way, I drove the Subaru back to our house in the west, and returned to the Midwest in our old Jeep Liberty that we have to tow behind the motorhome. The 2007 Jeep Liberty has 57,000 original miles, and it made the entire trip without issue. It may not be as comfortable a ride, but kudos to the Jeep Liberty.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It is now 9/7/21, and something new has happened. We live in the west and bought a house in the Midwest to be closer to family. The failure of the Jeep as outlined in my original post occurred when my wife was driving the Cherokee Trailhawk from the west to the Midwest. She had spent about 10 hours on the road when the failure occurred. She loved her Cherokee, but being left stranded along side the road in sub-zero weather at night strained her affections for the car. The car was repaired and she was able to return to our house in the west. We were later reimbursed for the repairs when the warranty period was extended.

I have been at the house in the Midwest remodeling it in preparation for our retirement. We have grandchildren near the new house, and they keep multiplying. We were looking at replacing our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee L with the third row seating and plenty of room for us and the grandkids. Personally, I love everything about the Grand Cherokee L...it is a beautiful vehicle with a lot of amenities for the price. So, my wife is due for a trip back to the Midwest house and brings along her 85 year old father. They travel about ten hours, and approximately 15 miles from where the last failure occurred, a front wheel bearing goes out. She called me to let me know that she was broken down...again. I initially thought she was joking, but her tone indicated otherwise. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk had about 42,000 miles on the odometer when the wheel bearing failed. She was able to limp it to the daughter's house which was about three miles away. I went and picked her and her father up. So, once again, her vacation time turned into a quest for repairs and not having a vehicle of her own to use. I talked with a friend of mine who bought a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, shortly after we bought ours and based on my recommendation, and learned that he had to replace a front wheel bearing, and was scheduled to have the other one replaced the following week. His vehicle has 27,000 miles on the odometer. I thought it odd to have a wheel bearing go out at 42,000 miles, and initially thought that it was maybe a fluke...a bad bearing that went south. I thought that until I spoke with my friend. We had the bearing replaced by a local dealer and it cost about $600.00.

Needless to say, my wife fell out of love with her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk after it stranded her twice in about the same place. At least the weather was nicer and we didn't need to have it towed. The idea of replacing it with another Jeep was not something we were willing to do at this time. So, we ended up trading the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which really was a beautiful car with some really comfortable seats, for a Subaru Ascent. The Subaru Ascent is about as bland in appearance as a car can be, but we're hoping that the wife can drive it the full distance instead of falling 50 miles short of her destination - twice. I was really looking forward to having that Jeep Grand Cherokee L, but you have to factor in some concerns with reliability. I will let you know how the Subaru Ascent performs. By the way, I drove the Subaru back to our house in the west, and returned to the Midwest in our old Jeep Liberty that we have to tow behind the motorhome. The 2007 Jeep Liberty has 57,000 original miles, and it made the entire trip without issue. It may not be as comfortable a ride, but kudos to the Jeep Liberty.
Last year we traded our 2008 Liberty in towards a 2020 Honda Pilot but we should have traded my 2015 Cherokee in instead , if the W47 Recall had been received before we did the purchase we for sure would have gotten rid of the Cherokee, the Liberty never had issues all the way to 150,000 miles the Cherokee problems started at 8,000 miles and is actually in the shop again right now. We were constantly using the old high mileage reliable Jeep to do everything including trips while the 2015 Cherokee was in the shop again.
We didn’t want another new Jeep due to all the constant problems with mine and any new Jeep. The Honda has almost 20,000 miles and no issues at all, the Cherokee had been in shop multiple times by that point, and as I said is there again at just under 36,000 miles , you made a smart choice not getting another Jeep.wishing you many happy years with your Subaru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Completed my W47 software update in August 2021 in Sydney Australia, when received a recall letter from FCA .Mid-November 2021 while driving to the local shopping centre noticed the noise coming from under the car and delayed responsiveness of the car. Drove home and towed it to the Jeep dealership the next day. First when I brought up the W47 re-call they were saying that recall has been completed (again - software update that is installed as a 'fix' was supposed to prevent any future damage and ensure should the issue occur that no one does get hurt. PTU was not replaced, cant understand how software update can fix mechanical issue - especially if the car is from 2014 and surely by the time recall was done there would have been damage already inside the PTU). After completing the diagnostics they confirmed the problem is with PTU and also confirmed that PTU on KL models are on the extended warranty, BUT they would not know if warranty covers the issue till they open it up (HUH? why would that be if (1) extended warranty is confirmed for the vehicle for PTU specifically, (2) initial diagnostics confirmed PTU fail) - they estimated non-warranty cost of repair ~AUD7,600. Fine, I honestly thought that it is just a formality and told them to go ahead and take PTU out for the confirmation, attached are the photos. Dealership is saying this issue would be denied as a claim under extended warranty as per their explanation:
"The splines are damaged inside the transfer case and not in the input shaft and that is not covered under extended warranty. The splines that are under warranty are the once located on the input shaft and are not inside the transfer case, as such this issue will not be covered". They were not able to explain why this issue had occurred and what may have caused it (if not the faulty PTU).

Again - W47 recall states:
'The differential gear splines inside the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) may fail.', dealership confirmed that it failed and now I have to pay for it? @JeepCares

Question to this forum is:
  • Am I missing something? W47 states the PTU can fail, it failed and yet that is not covered?
  • Anyone knows what exactly should be covered under extended warranty on PTU for Jeep Cherokee KL 2014 or has official letter they could share?
  • If you had similar problem with the PTU and it got replaced - please share the photos of the issue and the story - did you have to pay? I am trying to compare the damage.

When I called Australian FCA Customer service they did not even tell me about the extended warranty on the part, were very formal and OBSIOUSLY denied any relation between W47 and the PTU fail even before the investigation was completed by the dealership. It was terrible customer service as I called them almost in tears and the person on the phone behaved like a robot with no compassion.

P.S. I got my licence a year ago and this is my first car - absolutely loved it (till now) and was looking to buy a new one once I hit a 2 year mark as a driver, this situation is definitely changing my mind after all the stress and expenses i have to go through.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your PTU problems. I am in Qld and keen to see what happens with this…
Do you have the Trailhawk and how many KLMS has it got?
I‘ve got a 14 TH with 72,000 KLMS and have had it for around 8 months.
It looks a bit of a mess in there, are they charging you for the work so far?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your PTU problems. I am in Qld and keen to see what happens with this…
Do you have the Trailhawk and how many KLMS has it got?
I‘ve got a 14 TH with 72,000 KLMS and have had it for around 8 months.
It looks a bit of a mess in there, are they charging you for the work so far?
Will update as we go, mine has 180,000 klms on it (I know, quite a bit).
Yeah they are charging me AUD7,600$ for it, no idea how I will be paying for it being a student...

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Question for the Australians? Heard this 'saying' once.
If you want to go to the outback drive a Land Rover, if you want to drive back drive a Toyota.
Please correct the quote if I didn't get it quite right.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hello all,

Completed my W47 software update in August 2021 in Sydney Australia, when received a recall letter from FCA .Mid-November 2021 while driving to the local shopping centre noticed the noise coming from under the car and delayed responsiveness of the car. Drove home and towed it to the Jeep dealership the next day. First when I brought up the W47 re-call they were saying that recall has been completed (again - software update that is installed as a 'fix' was supposed to prevent any future damage and ensure should the issue occur that no one does get hurt. PTU was not replaced, cant understand how software update can fix mechanical issue - especially if the car is from 2014 and surely by the time recall was done there would have been damage already inside the PTU). After completing the diagnostics they confirmed the problem is with PTU and also confirmed that PTU on KL models are on the extended warranty, BUT they would not know if warranty covers the issue till they open it up (HUH? why would that be if (1) extended warranty is confirmed for the vehicle for PTU specifically, (2) initial diagnostics confirmed PTU fail) - they estimated non-warranty cost of repair ~AUD7,600. Fine, I honestly thought that it is just a formality and told them to go ahead and take PTU out for the confirmation, attached are the photos. Dealership is saying this issue would be denied as a claim under extended warranty as per their explanation:
"The splines are damaged inside the transfer case and not in the input shaft and that is not covered under extended warranty. The splines that are under warranty are the once located on the input shaft and are not inside the transfer case, as such this issue will not be covered". They were not able to explain why this issue had occurred and what may have caused it (if not the faulty PTU).

Again - W47 recall states:
'The differential gear splines inside the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) may fail.', dealership confirmed that it failed and now I have to pay for it? @JeepCares

Question to this forum is:
  • Am I missing something? W47 states the PTU can fail, it failed and yet that is not covered?
  • Anyone knows what exactly should be covered under extended warranty on PTU for Jeep Cherokee KL 2014 or has official letter they could share?
  • If you had similar problem with the PTU and it got replaced - please share the photos of the issue and the story - did you have to pay? I am trying to compare the damage.

When I called Australian FCA Customer service they did not even tell me about the extended warranty on the part, were very formal and OBSIOUSLY denied any relation between W47 and the PTU fail even before the investigation was completed by the dealership. It was terrible customer service as I called them almost in tears and the person on the phone behaved like a robot with no compassion.

P.S. I got my licence a year ago and this is my first car - absolutely loved it (till now) and was looking to buy a new one once I hit a 2 year mark as a driver, this situation is definitely changing my mind after all the stress and expenses i have to go through.
Hello, I will provide a picture below of the extended warranty paperwork, but supposedly the paperwork we got in North America only applies to our area, so I’m not sure it’s the same for you. It is ridiculous that it wouldn’t , these constant PTU problems are a joke.
It does not specify exactly what is covered but it does say if you don’t experience these exact conditions the PTU is functioning correctly, which is a bunch of mumbo jumbo BS. Good luck.

Font Paper Paper product Document Publication

·
Registered
343 Posts
Will update as we go, mine has 180,000 klms on it (I know, quite a bit).
Yeah they are charging me AUD7,600$ for it, no idea how I will be paying for it being a student...

I believe PTUs with the good part number are available in the USA for somewhere between USD $1600 and $2000 (RETAIL) but it seems Jeep Australia is charging somewhere around $4000. Currency exchange and shipping costs don't explain such ridiculous differences.

Installation of a replacement PTU is NOT a difficult workshop job - so labour charge should only be 5 or 6 hrs for that. When our PTU suffered internal electrical failure (before W47 came out) Jeep Australia supplied the PTU but we had to pay for the labour - which came to AUD $600.

Reactions: Hawk27
41 - 53 of 53 Posts