2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
I got the W47 recall notice in the mail for my '15 TH and had the programming update done @ the dealership where I bought it. I agree with the OP as now I have a 4X4 BUT if the splines do sheer off I will only have a RWD Trailhawk. Unacceptable.
FCA should have to restore their vehicles to the original status they were when purchased. Their defect.

After 5 Jeeps over a 25+ year period, this could be the end of that.
Yup, my 2014 TH AWD just 馃挬 the bed!
They flashed software still got message to service AWD! Need to replace PTU for big $$$!! Car drives fine but no more AWD!

Registered
Sort of topic related - we just had W47 carried out on our Oct 2014 (MY15) TH here in Australia and seem to now have the current Trans Software which is fantastic - ie. up until last week we have SUFFERED for 5 years with shi tty R01 borked 3-2 shift. The terrifying and DANGEROUS no drive situation when slowing almost but not quite to stop (3-7mph) was gone for awhile but slowly crept back (disabling ESC seems to eliminate that no drive / snatch and grab situation but is at ur own risk).

The car is now terrific to drive - shifting all thru the range and all gears is noticeably different to before in all good ways. Can also feel it downshifting to second as you slow down to very low speed - weird sensation actually - but GOOD.

And yeah, this situation where they're bandaiding a basic faulty component situation with software - AGAIN (same as R01) - is disgusting :mad:

As I've had to say in all the feedback surveys etc. that I've filled out - We LOVE the vehicle but absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND JEEP TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! When they do this kind of awful and stupid stuff how can we???

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sort of topic related - we just had W47 carried out on our Oct 2014 (MY15) TH here in Australia and seem to now have the current Trans Software which is fantastic - ie. up until last week we have SUFFERED for 5 years with shi tty R01 borked 3-2 shift - ie. terrifying and DANGEROUS no drive situation when slowing almost but not quite to stop (3-7mph)

The car is now terrific to drive - shifting all thru the range and all gears is noticeably different to before in all good ways and when you slow to walking pace then take off THERE'S ACTUAL DRIVE HAPPENING!!! - because she's in second. Can also feel it downshifting as you slow down to very low speed - weird sensation actually - but GOOD.

And yeah, this situation where they're bandaiding a basic faulty component situation with software - AGAIN (same as R01) - is disgusting :mad:

As I've had to say in all the feedback surveys etc. that I've filled out - We LOVE the vehicle but absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND JEEP TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! When they do this kind of awful and stupid stuff how can we???
Does your paperwork list an update number for transmission programming too?
W47 is just supposed to address the safety issue of the splines breaking/wearing off and how it functions after the problem presents itself. It says nothing about changing or reinitializing 2nd gear to function again.
It would be great to know if you got another update included with it. Thanks and glad it is shifting better for you.

Registered
The recall clearly states that it applies to "certain 2014 through 2017" Cherokees.
Went to my Jeep dealer and the Service Advisor checked and W47 does not apply to my specific 2014 TH (by VIN).
I never got a notice in the mail from FCA.
Apparently I am not one of the "certain" vehicles.
Hopefully this is good news.

Registered
Does your paperwork list an update number for transmission programming too?
W47 is just supposed to address the safety issue of the splines breaking/wearing off and how it functions after the problem presents itself. It says nothing about changing or reinitializing 2nd gear to function again.
It would be great to know if you got another update included with it. Thanks and glad it is shifting better for you.
On our docket there wasn't any mention specifically about correcting the 3-2-1 downshift - it just lists software update to address W47 - so in our case at least, the ECU flash which has the drivetrain modifications to cope with that PTU losing FWD also contains a normal shifting schedule for the transmission - ie. probably based on current models trans program.

Registered
The recall clearly states that it applies to "certain 2014 through 2017" Cherokees.
Went to my Jeep dealer and the Service Advisor checked and W47 does not apply to my specific 2014 TH (by VIN).
I never got a notice in the mail from FCA.
Apparently I am not one of the "certain" vehicles.
Hopefully this is good news.
From what I can make out this PTU drive spline thing is based on PTU part number - with PTU that has AG at the end of it's part number being ok - they can check the full parts listing against any vehicle using the VIN. I'm P-O because we actually had our PTU replaced on warranty a couple of years ago but didn't score the good part number as a replacement :(

Registered
We have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 38,160 miles on the odometer. We took the vehicle into a local dealer in August 2020 for the software update in response to recall W47. The update was completed. I didn't know the scope of the issue or repair...but I am now. About a week ago, while my wife was driving the Jeep on the Interstate, using the inside lane, traveling at about 70 mph, while passing other traffic; the vehicle suddenly lost power. She was able to make her way to the side of the road. The emergency brake had automatically engaged and the vehicle gave a warning that it was in neutral and could roll away (absent the use of the emergency brake). The vehicle did not respond and would not move except in reverse. It was towed and a (different) dealership replaced the Driveline Control Module. After replacing that, they discovered the real issue was the PTU failed (splines) and (according to them) also cause the Driveline Control Module to fail. The failure was essentially the issue discussed in W47, but since the faulty part was not replaced during the recall, it did eventually fail, and still created a dangerous situation for my wife and the others around her. The cost of repairs was in excess of $3,000.00. I contacted FIC Customer Service, but since the failure was not (technically) the recall, there was nothing they could do. My wife loves that vehicle and was hoping to buy a new one...I am not feeling quite as warm and fuzzy about this.

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 38,160 miles on the odometer. We took the vehicle into a local dealer in August 2020 for the software update in response to recall W47. The update was completed. I didn't know the scope of the issue or repair...but I am now. About a week ago, while my wife was driving the Jeep on the Interstate, using the inside lane, traveling at about 70 mph, while passing other traffic; the vehicle suddenly lost power. She was able to make her way to the side of the road. The emergency brake had automatically engaged and the vehicle gave a warning that it was in neutral and could roll away (absent the use of the emergency brake). The vehicle did not respond and would not move except in reverse. It was towed and a (different) dealership replaced the Driveline Control Module. After replacing that, they discovered the real issue was the PTU failed (splines) and (according to them) also cause the Driveline Control Module to fail. The failure was essentially the issue discussed in W47, but since the faulty part was not replaced during the recall, it did eventually fail, and still created a dangerous situation for my wife and the others around her. The cost of repairs was in excess of $3,000.00. I contacted FIC Customer Service, but since the failure was not (technically) the recall, there was nothing they could do. My wife loves that vehicle and was hoping to buy a new one...I am not feeling quite as warm and fuzzy about this.
hello WYsteve that is a bummer to hear and I鈥檓 glad your wife or no one was hurt.
So this DANGEROUSLY answers the question that this W47 recall is a ridiculous NON-fix since it did not allow your vehicle to maintain the ability to continue driving in any safe manner.
DO YOU HEAR THIS JEEP CARES? This is even worse then I pointed out to you and the customer service person I talked to about this recall. I stated this isn鈥檛 a fix nor will it prevent the splines from shearing off and now it鈥檚 SADLY been proven that the vehicle is still unsafe to drive.
What鈥檚 it gonna take to get FCA or whatever their new name is to actually fix this problem.
WYsteve if I was you I would push this , they essentially lied to you and us that the W47 recall would keep the vehicle safe to drive and it did not.

FCA Customer Support Group
Hello, can you send us a private message with your VIN and a copy of your repair order? We would like to look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Registered
We are currently dealing with FCA鈥檚 horrendous handling of this issue on my wife鈥檚 15 TH. About a week before she was scheduled to go in to have the recall she started having service 4wd messages intermittently displaying in her jeep. When she went for the recall they checked it out and confirmed that it was throwing a code for the PTU motor being obstructed or blocked. They then informed her that even though the recall was concerning this exact issue it only covered the reprogram and not actually fixing the underlying problem and quoted her $4000 to fix the PTU.

Registered
OMG! I'm seeing the "good" part number PTU listed for under $2000 from at least a couple of USA parts suppliers. When we had our PTU replaced here in Australia, Jeep supplied the PTU (quoted price AUD $3200 or thereabouts) - but we had to pay labour cost which was only AUD $600. That was before W47 so they gave us a bad part number PTU - but beside the point in relation to this situation. IMO $4000 US is ridiculous!!!

The RH front driveshaft has to be disconnected and the tailshaft disconnected, but those are not ridiculously difficult jobs - and the PTU itself is pretty straight forward to unbolt and refit - so it's not DAYS of labour. Ours was in and out in the same 8 hour working day. I'm sure I've seen dealer workshop quoted time for that job - ie. in bulletins etc. as being 4.5 or something like that.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

FCA Customer Support Group
We are currently dealing with FCA鈥檚 horrendous handling of this issue on my wife鈥檚 15 TH. About a week before she was scheduled to go in to have the recall she started having service 4wd messages intermittently displaying in her jeep. When she went for the recall they checked it out and confirmed that it was throwing a code for the PTU motor being obstructed or blocked. They then informed her that even though the recall was concerning this exact issue it only covered the reprogram and not actually fixing the underlying problem and quoted her $4000 to fix the PTU.
Can you please send us a message with your VIN and dealer info?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Registered
[/QUOTE

Took My 2014 Cherokee to dealer this week, it was flashing the service 4 wheel drive light. Dealer told me it needed new PTU unit at a cost of about $3k. I then remember the recall which they said it was already performed, the software reprogramming that is. Well, that stupid reflash did absolutely nothing. I told them that I read FCA has another recall to replace the PTU unit free of cost. Dealer said they have not heard that, and is talking with local district rep to see what they will do. Below is what I found:

"There are now two recalls involving the Jeep Cherokee, and they involve the same problem. The power transfer unit (PTU), an important element of the optional all-wheel-drive system in affected vehicles may not be able to maintain a connection between the transmission and the front wheels.
If the PTU fails to engage with the transmission, the Cherokee could lose all power while being driven. Also, a failure to engage could keep the vehicle from being put into park when stationary, allowing it to roll away. Either situation could result in a crash or injuries.
According to a Jeep spokesperson, there has been at least one crash related to this problem, although there were no injuries in that crash.
This recall involves some Cherokees that had already been recalled for the issue.
According to Consumer Reports, some Jeep Cherokees have already had their PTUs replaced but are still subject to the problem. This is because the replacement parts were faulty and need to be replaced again."

"For 2014-2017 Jeep Cherokees where the PTU has not been previously replaced, the auto maker鈥檚 recall number is W47 and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)鈥檚 recall campaign number is 20V343. For those where the PTU was replaced with a faulty replacement part, the auto maker鈥檚 recall number is W48, while NHTSA鈥檚 recall campaign number is 20E037."

Sorry but I am not paying for this repair. If FCA does not repair this at their cost, there are other options I will pursuit.

FCA....step up and fix our vehicles!!!!!!!

Registered
Hi everyone,
I'm about to buy a '15 TH that has this specific recall issue active. Thinking about 2 options:
1. negotiate to discount the total price (I can buy used 68307402AH, which is not listed as a problematic, but it's not the 68307403AG mentioned earlier in this thread)
2. get to the dealership hoping they'd replace the TPU (already reached out to them but haven't heard back yet)
Do you have any updates to the recall situation? Did FCA finally start replacing the TPUs?

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm about to buy a '15 TH that has this specific recall issue active. Thinking about 2 options:
1. negotiate to discount the total price (I can buy used 68307402AH which is 1 revision newer than the 68307402AG mentioned earlier)
2. get to the dealership hoping they'd replace the TPU (already reached out to them but haven't heard back yet)
Do you have any updates to the recall situation? Did FCA finally start replacing the TPUs?
W47 is what FCA is calling a supposed Safety recall , they do programming , they do not do any mechanical fix, it has nothing to do with replacing the PTU for free.

Registered
W47 is what FCA is calling a supposed Safety recall , they do programming , they do not do any mechanical fix, it has nothing to do with replacing the PTU for free.
Thanks for clarification!
I understand that and the fact it's a software fix bothers me a lot. I was wondering if there is any progress in pushing FCA to actually get the PTUs replaced.

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for clarification!
I understand that and the fact it's a software fix bothers me a lot. I was wondering if there is any progress in pushing FCA to actually get the PTUs replaced.
They have extended the PTU warranty for some model years I will put a link below.

Registered
osimj
Registered

Joined Dec 17, 2014
227 Posts

I wanted to inform Other ADII owners with vehicles that will be involved in this W47 recall, I just got off the phone with a customer service person at the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403, this is the phone number that is on the recall paperwork that is being mailed out to us owners.
I told her that I Myself and many others on a Jeep Cherokee Forum are not happy with a programming update for a mechanical failure that will be routing the power to the rear wheels and applying the parking brake when in park AFTER this MECHANICAL failure happens , this is in no way fixing the mechanical issue with the Splines wearing off and then we will be stuck paying for a repair on the vehicle afterwards. She informed me that the NHTSA APPROVED this repair and that the programming will prevent the SPLINES FROM FAILING. i then asked her how this was going to prevent mechanical parts from failing when the official paperwork from FCA New Safety Recall Advanced Communication W47 states
SERVICE ACTION
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to reprogram the affected vehicles with software for the Drive Train Control Module (DTCM) and the Electric Park Brake (EPB) that will maintain vehicle propulsion by engaging rear wheel drive function and prevent rolling in the PARK selection by activating the electric park brake if a failed input spline occurs.

And I repeated the part IF A FAILED INPUT SPLINE OCCURS and i again said this programming is not set up to prevent the splines from failing it is only set up to come into play AFTER the splines have failed to prevent loss of movement and to keep the vehicle from rolling when put in Park by applying the parking brake. I again stated that this is not a REPAIR as stated in the recall the repair will come at our expense after the splines fail and the programming starts working by going into rear wheel drive to keep moving and the Parking brake will be automatically applied when putting into PARK to prevent the vehicle from rolling away. She kept insisting it was going to prevent the splines from failing , so i asked her to please voice my complaint to FCA and she said a note would be put in my call file. so we are getting swindled and im not sure how they got this programming approved as a fix.
So if any of you are as mad as i am over this issue PLEASE CALL THE PHONE NUMBER ON YOUR RECALL PAPERWORK AND LET THEM KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT THE ACTUAL PAPERWORK SAYS AND THAT ITS NOT GOING TO PREVENT THE SPLINES FROM SHEERING OFF AND YOU ARE NOT STUPID AND WE WANT AN ACTUAL MECHANICAL FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I am not shouting i just want to get peoples attention and involved that's why I did all capitals, Thanks and Maybe the squeaky wheel can get noticed and get the grease to actually fix this issue. One can only hope but as we have seen before they just put bandaids on problems.
I can attest to this. I had the recall performed and several months later the input splines failed. This happened while my wife was driving down the interstate at 70 miles per hour using the inside lane to pass a slower vehicle. She was able to limp it to the side of the road and call for roadside assistance. This happened during the winter and it was -20 degrees outside (she was traversing Minnesota). Thankfully the car was still running and she was able to use the heat. It was about an hour wait for the tow truck. The repairs at a Jeep dealer were in excess of $3,000.00 to replace the PTU. The software upgrade did not prevent anything. We have, however, received notice that FCA has extended the PTU warranty to 8 years/150,000 miles...of course we got that letter several months after we paid for the repairs. We did submit a form seeking reimbursement of those costs, but I'm not going to hold my breath....I'm sure there will be some exception. The letter said that if you have any questions, you can call FCA US LLC Customer Care at 1-877-426-5337. The shameful thing is that my wife absolutely loves her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and was planning on buying another to replace this one. I think we'll wait on that purchase to see what happens.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts