2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,495 Posts
That is what I tried to tell the customer service rep and she still believed this was going to prevent the splines from being sheered off. They have no knowledge or even care.
Call then and voice your complaint about this to them
The phone agents are not technicians, so any technical info they would not be privvy too.
Can you send your VIN in a PM? I would like to see the case and document your posts.

Thanks,
Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
1,495 Posts
Hello, this is my first post to any forum. The W47 recall is unacceptable when there is a "permanent" known solution (ptu 68307403AG) available and already in stock and what what I have gathered is about a five hour task to replace. To have a "Trail Rated" badged vehicle that FCA acknowledges could leave you stranded if you need your 4wd capabilities is shameful. Also look at the W48 recall notice, it identifies the faulty parts which are still in the P.T.U.'s we still have in our vehicles. I have written to Mopar USA and have not received a response. I believe if this is not corrected soon, Jeep customer loyalty will be lost for a long time as well as any FCA product in my opinion.
If you want to send us a message with your VIN, we can take a look into it for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
1,495 Posts
We have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with about 38,160 miles on the odometer. We took the vehicle into a local dealer in August 2020 for the software update in response to recall W47. The update was completed. I didn't know the scope of the issue or repair...but I am now. About a week ago, while my wife was driving the Jeep on the Interstate, using the inside lane, traveling at about 70 mph, while passing other traffic; the vehicle suddenly lost power. She was able to make her way to the side of the road. The emergency brake had automatically engaged and the vehicle gave a warning that it was in neutral and could roll away (absent the use of the emergency brake). The vehicle did not respond and would not move except in reverse. It was towed and a (different) dealership replaced the Driveline Control Module. After replacing that, they discovered the real issue was the PTU failed (splines) and (according to them) also cause the Driveline Control Module to fail. The failure was essentially the issue discussed in W47, but since the faulty part was not replaced during the recall, it did eventually fail, and still created a dangerous situation for my wife and the others around her. The cost of repairs was in excess of $3,000.00. I contacted FIC Customer Service, but since the failure was not (technically) the recall, there was nothing they could do. My wife loves that vehicle and was hoping to buy a new one...I am not feeling quite as warm and fuzzy about this.
Hello, can you send us a private message with your VIN and a copy of your repair order? We would like to look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
1,495 Posts
We are currently dealing with FCA’s horrendous handling of this issue on my wife’s 15 TH. About a week before she was scheduled to go in to have the recall she started having service 4wd messages intermittently displaying in her jeep. When she went for the recall they checked it out and confirmed that it was throwing a code for the PTU motor being obstructed or blocked. They then informed her that even though the recall was concerning this exact issue it only covered the reprogram and not actually fixing the underlying problem and quoted her $4000 to fix the PTU.
Can you please send us a message with your VIN and dealer info?

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
1,495 Posts
Katilin,
Sorry for the delay. I have busy remodeling a house and haven't had much time to play on the internet, and haven't looked at this site in a while. I got some email today stating something had been posted, so I checked the site and saw your request. I am not sure how to send a private message...I'm not very tech minded. Ha! How does one do that? Also, I we got a letter a couple weeks ago advising that FCA had extended the PTU warranty to 8 years/150,000 miles. There was a form to send in if seeking reimbursement of prior costs. I filled that form in and mailed it. I tried using the on-line version of that submittal form, but the website wouldn't accept it. So, I used the paper form and mailed it. I hope that was related to this particular repair. Thanks for responding and sorry for my late reply.
Hi WYSteve, we responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Jeep Cares

·
1,495 Posts
It is now 6/30/21, and I wanted to provide an update to my earlier post. Jeep Cares did reach out to me. Given the extended warranty FCA provided for this issue, they arranged for us to be reimbursed for the cost of the earlier repair. We received a check shortly thereafter. I am satisfied that FCA/Jeep was willing to stand behind their product. I am now feeling quite a bit more warm and fuzzy about the wife's desire to buy another Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk when it is time to buy another new vehicle. Thank you!
Hi WYSteve,
So happy we could help! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Rob
Jeep Cares

1 - 6 of 6 Posts