·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
osimj
Registered

Joined Dec 17, 2014
227 Posts

I wanted to inform Other ADII owners with vehicles that will be involved in this W47 recall, I just got off the phone with a customer service person at the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403, this is the phone number that is on the recall paperwork that is being mailed out to us owners.
I told her that I Myself and many others on a Jeep Cherokee Forum are not happy with a programming update for a mechanical failure that will be routing the power to the rear wheels and applying the parking brake when in park AFTER this MECHANICAL failure happens , this is in no way fixing the mechanical issue with the Splines wearing off and then we will be stuck paying for a repair on the vehicle afterwards. She informed me that the NHTSA APPROVED this repair and that the programming will prevent the SPLINES FROM FAILING. i then asked her how this was going to prevent mechanical parts from failing when the official paperwork from FCA New Safety Recall Advanced Communication W47 states
SERVICE ACTION
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to reprogram the affected vehicles with software for the Drive Train Control Module (DTCM) and the Electric Park Brake (EPB) that will maintain vehicle propulsion by engaging rear wheel drive function and prevent rolling in the PARK selection by activating the electric park brake if a failed input spline occurs.

And I repeated the part IF A FAILED INPUT SPLINE OCCURS and i again said this programming is not set up to prevent the splines from failing it is only set up to come into play AFTER the splines have failed to prevent loss of movement and to keep the vehicle from rolling when put in Park by applying the parking brake. I again stated that this is not a REPAIR as stated in the recall the repair will come at our expense after the splines fail and the programming starts working by going into rear wheel drive to keep moving and the Parking brake will be automatically applied when putting into PARK to prevent the vehicle from rolling away. She kept insisting it was going to prevent the splines from failing , so i asked her to please voice my complaint to FCA and she said a note would be put in my call file. so we are getting swindled and im not sure how they got this programming approved as a fix.
So if any of you are as mad as i am over this issue PLEASE CALL THE PHONE NUMBER ON YOUR RECALL PAPERWORK AND LET THEM KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT THE ACTUAL PAPERWORK SAYS AND THAT ITS NOT GOING TO PREVENT THE SPLINES FROM SHEERING OFF AND YOU ARE NOT STUPID AND WE WANT AN ACTUAL MECHANICAL FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I am not shouting i just want to get peoples attention and involved that's why I did all capitals, Thanks and Maybe the squeaky wheel can get noticed and get the grease to actually fix this issue. One can only hope but as we have seen before they just put bandaids on problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
osimj
Registered

Joined Dec 17, 2014
227 Posts

I wanted to inform Other ADII owners with vehicles that will be involved in this W47 recall, I just got off the phone with a customer service person at the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403, this is the phone number that is on the recall paperwork that is being mailed out to us owners.
I told her that I Myself and many others on a Jeep Cherokee Forum are not happy with a programming update for a mechanical failure that will be routing the power to the rear wheels and applying the parking brake when in park AFTER this MECHANICAL failure happens , this is in no way fixing the mechanical issue with the Splines wearing off and then we will be stuck paying for a repair on the vehicle afterwards. She informed me that the NHTSA APPROVED this repair and that the programming will prevent the SPLINES FROM FAILING. i then asked her how this was going to prevent mechanical parts from failing when the official paperwork from FCA New Safety Recall Advanced Communication W47 states
SERVICE ACTION
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to reprogram the affected vehicles with software for the Drive Train Control Module (DTCM) and the Electric Park Brake (EPB) that will maintain vehicle propulsion by engaging rear wheel drive function and prevent rolling in the PARK selection by activating the electric park brake if a failed input spline occurs.

And I repeated the part IF A FAILED INPUT SPLINE OCCURS and i again said this programming is not set up to prevent the splines from failing it is only set up to come into play AFTER the splines have failed to prevent loss of movement and to keep the vehicle from rolling when put in Park by applying the parking brake. I again stated that this is not a REPAIR as stated in the recall the repair will come at our expense after the splines fail and the programming starts working by going into rear wheel drive to keep moving and the Parking brake will be automatically applied when putting into PARK to prevent the vehicle from rolling away. She kept insisting it was going to prevent the splines from failing , so i asked her to please voice my complaint to FCA and she said a note would be put in my call file. so we are getting swindled and im not sure how they got this programming approved as a fix.
So if any of you are as mad as i am over this issue PLEASE CALL THE PHONE NUMBER ON YOUR RECALL PAPERWORK AND LET THEM KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT THE ACTUAL PAPERWORK SAYS AND THAT ITS NOT GOING TO PREVENT THE SPLINES FROM SHEERING OFF AND YOU ARE NOT STUPID AND WE WANT AN ACTUAL MECHANICAL FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I am not shouting i just want to get peoples attention and involved that's why I did all capitals, Thanks and Maybe the squeaky wheel can get noticed and get the grease to actually fix this issue. One can only hope but as we have seen before they just put bandaids on problems.
Hello
The inside of my 2014 PTU of TH was broken and the PTU case was broken. This recall is of no use because it does not correct design defects.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I tried to tell the customer service rep and she still believed this was going to prevent the splines from being sheered off. They have no knowledge or even care.
Call then and voice your complaint about this to them

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,371 Posts
That is what I tried to tell the customer service rep and she still believed this was going to prevent the splines from being sheered off. They have no knowledge or even care.
Call then and voice your complaint about this to them
The phone agents are not technicians, so any technical info they would not be privvy too.
Can you send your VIN in a PM? I would like to see the case and document your posts.

Thanks,
Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
As far as I can tell W47 does not apply to model year 2014.
Let me know if you find out otherwise.
I have checked jeep.com and W47 does not apply to my 2014.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got the W47 recall notice in the mail for my '15 TH and had the programming update done @ the dealership where I bought it. I agree with the OP as now I have a 4X4 BUT if the splines do sheer off I will only have a RWD Trailhawk. Unacceptable.
FCA should have to restore their vehicles to the original status they were when purchased. Their defect.

After 5 Jeeps over a 25+ year period, this could be the end of that.

Reactions: Dodger69

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have a 2014 KL Limited, see my signature, with notice on my online account and now a mailed copy in hand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just had the W47 Recall done. (8/6/20) I believe I still have the 3,2,1, when slowing down to a traffic light, at least when I move the shifter to manual to see the numbers it shows 3rd, then move it back slow some more and move it again and I get 2 showing etc. for 1st, so I don't think they changed anything with gearing in case some of you were worried about that. Here is the invoice in case anyone wants to know what exactly they do. Hope this helps some of you. Also just an FYI they said they set my tires to 36psi which was BS because they were still at 45 PSI where I set them (BFG KO2's) so not sure why they even put that on there. All seems good though. Looked up numbers and it was just software updates to the DTCM and the Parking Brake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the W47 recall notice in the mail for my '15 TH and had the programming update done @ the dealership where I bought it. I agree with the OP as now I have a 4X4 BUT if the splines do sheer off I will only have a RWD Trailhawk. Unacceptable.
FCA should have to restore their vehicles to the original status they were when purchased. Their defect.

After 5 Jeeps over a 25+ year period, this could be the end of that.
They couldn't fix the issue with the software update. And now I have a RWD Trailhawk. Absolutely unacceptable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts