2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do you guys have VIN stickers on each door of your Cherokees. Mine is a 2016 limited which I bought used and it does not have VIN stickers. It has only the VIN sticker on the driver's door and driver's door side body not on other doors.

Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is normal.

Reactions: Ritirdau

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why would the VIN number need to be on both doors? The one which matters is the one behind the windshield, door stickers can be changed easily by car thieves. The cowl VIN number used to be stamped or embossed metal....

·
Registered
42 Posts
The label on the door or B pillar drivers side is not a VIN sticker, it's the federal certification label which has been required on vehicles sold in the US since 1970. It certifies that the vehicle it's affixed to meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards at the time it was manufactured. For law enforcement and dealership/sales purposes the label is not to be used for primary identification of a vehicle, that is the purpose of the VIN plate visible through the drivers side windshield on most passenger vehicles. It can cause issues if the drivers side door is damaged and gets replaced with one from a different vehicle since the VIN on it will not match the vehicles true VIN. I dealt with that issue countless times on used vehicles that were misidentified because someone used the federal sticker on a replacement door instead of the actual VIN.

In 1984 the federal government required manufacturers place small stickers with the vehicles VIN, known as anti theft labels, on the valuable components such as doors, fenders and trunk lids on certain high theft vehicles. This was amended in 1992 to include other vehicles. Like the federal certification label these stickers are not to be used as primary identification of a vehicle since the components they're on can be replaced. Any time you're buying or selling a vehicle always use the VIN plate for identifying the vehicle.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
Most cars these days would have those stickers in a cavity. Interesting what you say about the cert. label, here in Georgia all the emissions stations use the bar code on it for the test, and raise hell if it won't scan. I can sort of understand, though, had a car that wouldn't scan, guy typed in the vin. When I went to renew the reg. there was no record of the test, turns out the tester miss-typed the vin. Had to retest... 😕

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most cars these days would have those stickers in a cavity. Interesting what you say about the cert. label, here in Georgia all the emissions stations use the bar code on it for the test, and raise hell if it won't scan. I can sort of understand, though, had a car that wouldn't scan, guy typed in the vin. When I went to renew the reg. there was no record of the test, turns out the tester miss-typed the vin. Had to retest... 😕
They stopped emissions testing here 21 years ago. Cars here in MN don't pollute anymore you know. ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll do you one better. A friend of mine just recently received his emission inspection notice for his Tesla Model X...True story!!!😎
Now that is funny! I bet your friend is worried about passing the test. :D

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Like all humans, the DEQ quys are lazy when they can get away with it. So of course they use the scanner on the door. On my previous Jeep, which had had had the driver's door replaced at some point prior to my ownership, they kept scanning the bar code every time I was there, only to realize something wasn't right and reading the correct VIN from the window. No biggie (and fortunately no typo; here in Oregon they actually do verify the name on the record match up. I eventually took a fat Sharpie and marked over the label, saving a few minutes of scanning, confusion, correction each time.

Reactions: HoosierTrooper

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like all humans, the DEQ quys are lazy when they can get away with it. So of course they use the scanner on the door. On my previous Jeep, which had had had the driver's door replaced at some point prior to my ownership, they kept scanning the bar code every time I was there, only to realize something wasn't right and reading the correct VIN from the window. No biggie (and fortunately no typo; here in Oregon they actually do verify the name on the record match up. I eventually took a fat Sharpie and marked over the label, saving a few minutes of scanning, confusion, correction each time.
A perfect example of why the federal certification label shouldn’t be used for vehicle identification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts