2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello KL'ers.

I have a 2015 KL Trailhawk with a 2" MFC lift, and 255/75/17 BFG KO2's at 75k miles.
I just had a 4 wheel alignment performed at a very reputable shop who has experience with KL's, and the KO2's are 3 weeks old and have been road force balanced as of a few days ago.

After both of these procedures the KL has driven better than it ever has! However at speeds 65-85 mph I can recreate a small vibration if I accelerate and then let off the gas and coast. It's difficult to tell where the vibration is coming from but the steering wheel does not receive any vibration. You feel it in the Jeep itself if that makes sense.

This is not a large vibration but I am curious where it could be coming from. The symptoms make me believe it could be driveshaft related, as I've had a constant squeek/creak at low speeds that I guessed are coming from a joint...but a shop last year said it was no worries and did not elaborate.

Any insight ya'll have will be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Don't have a clue, but the driveshaft is easy to check so might as well start there.
Make sure all of the fasteners related to the lift install are tightened securely.
Make sure the rubber brake hoses are positioned correctly.

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
250 Posts
I'm not there feeling what you are feeling, but you might just be a little paranoid. Takes one to know one. I can always feel a vibration if I try to, and then have to have my wife drive it and she tells me I'm crazy and its just as smooth as anything else. I dunno. Some things just don't roll perfectly smoothly and it doesn't always mean something is wrong. KO2s are not known for Cadillac levels of smoothness and balance and there are limitations to what a tire balancer can do, even a good one...

For as common as these Jeeps are maybe you can swap wheels with a friend for a couple days and see if it feels different. Otherwise maybe the CV joints are just a titch unhappy about running outside of their designed and intended angle. So many things can cause light vibration though, really hard to say.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
My KO2s definitely rumble as the beefy blocks hit when driving on smooth pavement, and this may just be more noticeable when the engine sound drops. I am used to it, and makes the Jeep seem more surefooted. It will seem different than when driving with highway tires.
If you are sure that it is not the tires, then it could be what is known as driveline lash, this is when loosely fitting components 'slap' against each other when changing force on them.
In what you say, when you let off the gas, the line changes from being pushed by the engine to being pulled by the vehicle's momentum. If really significant, could be any part of the driveline, CV joints (like @arudlang says), is most likely, or any other intersection between components.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
That's an awful lot of tire on 75k mile axles, and various other drivetrain components...⚠😎

1 - 5 of 5 Posts