2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently(by recent I mean 15 days ago), bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The first week the vehicle drove fine! Then I noticed going 70mph+ the steering wheel and drivers seat was noticeably vibrating, and one time I hit a bump(a little bridge bump) going around 75mph and the whole front end of my jeep just started violently shaking to the point I had to slow down to 10mph to make it stop. I also am having trouble putting gas in the tank, it’ll let me put $6 in and then automatically shuts off, and it takes about 15 minutes for that. The dealership I bought it from says the tires are cupped, and the axels need to be replaced(that’s where the shaking is coming from), and the gas thing they have no idea what that’s about and they’ve never heard of it. Has anyone had these issues before and know what the issues were that caused them and how they were fixed?

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
I recently(by recent I mean 15 days ago), bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The first week the vehicle drove fine! Then I noticed going 70mph+ the steering wheel and drivers seat was noticeably vibrating, and one time I hit a bump(a little bridge bump) going around 75mph and the whole front end of my jeep just started violently shaking to the point I had to slow down to 10mph to make it stop. I also am having trouble putting gas in the tank, it’ll let me put $6 in and then automatically shuts off, and it takes about 15 minutes for that. The dealership I bought it from says the tires are cupped, and the axels need to be replaced(that’s where the shaking is coming from), and the gas thing they have no idea what that’s about and they’ve never heard of it. Has anyone had these issues before and know what the issues were that caused them and how they were fixed?
Well, I hope the dealer you bought it from offered some kind of warranty. The shaking is likely multiple steering components, tie rods, ball joints, and possibly axles, but they usually make noise like clicking and popping during turns. It's probably going to need a complete front end rebuild. The fueling issue is quite common, and caused by overfilling, and flooding the EVAP system. That will have to be addressed. When fueling our Cherokees, they're full when the pump clicks off the first time. Never try to round up the next dollar, or whatever. Tell us more about your Trailhawk, mileage, what engine you have? Do you have a vehicle history report such as Carfax, because that's going to tell you a lot. There were many recalls, and issues with the 2014-2015 model years, with the transmission being the biggest. Hopefully yours was one of the many that were replaced. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty and of course that isn’t covering anything. The dealer said they’d pay half the cost if I pay the other half, but that isn’t acceptable to me considering I haven’t even made a payment on the jeep yet, so the salesman is going to see what he can do. I have noticed whenever I go over small bumps or railroad tracks at lower speeds, i can hear some sort of rattling noise. My jeep has about 86,000 miles, and a 3.2 Liter V6 engine. I didn’t look at a carfax report but am so wishing I did now! The first time I filled the tank I let it go until it stopped and took the nozzle right out.. but will keep that in mind for the future so that issue doesn’t arise again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I purchased a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty and of course that isn’t covering anything. The dealer said they’d pay half the cost if I pay the other half, but that isn’t acceptable to me considering I haven’t even made a payment on the jeep yet, so the salesman is going to see what he can do. I have noticed whenever I go over small bumps or railroad tracks at lower speeds, i can hear some sort of rattling noise. My jeep has about 86,000 miles, and a 3.2 Liter V6 engine. I didn’t look at a carfax report but am so wishing I did now! The first time I filled the tank I let it go until it stopped and took the nozzle right out.. but will keep that in mind for the future so that issue doesn’t arise again. Thanks!!
Wait what??? You bought a warranty, and they won't cover it because they sold you a car with issues??? What kind of dealership is this, Billy Bob's Used Car lot, or an actual Jeep, or other major manufacturer dealer??? I would highly recommend getting a vehicle history report, and play hardball with the dealer. Be sure to take a close look at the "fine print" of the so called warranty. Sounds like complete BS to me...😎

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait what??? You bought a warranty, and they won't cover it because they sold you a car with issues??? What kind of dealership is this, Billy Bob's Used Car lot, or an actual Jeep, or other major manufacturer dealer??? I would highly recommend getting a vehicle history report, and play hardball with the dealer. Be sure to take a close look at the "fine print" of the so called warranty. Sounds like complete BS to me...😎
Yep! I bought the jeep from a Honda dealership.. the jeep was also state inspected not even 2 months ago and passed everything with flying colors!! I’m probably going to contact the warranty company myself and see what is covered and what isn’t because I know dealerships love getting as much out of you as they can!

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
The first time I filled the tank I let it go until it stopped and took the nozzle right out.. but will keep that in mind for the future so that issue doesn’t arise again.
This issue was likely created over time, long before you bought it. There's a charcoal canister, and other components that may need replacement. I hope you're writing all of this down for ammunition for the fight you are about to have with your dealer...😎

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
832 Posts
If you bought this from a reputable dealership and with an extended warranty while it also passed a state inspection, then there is no way this should be happening and since it is, I can't imagine any scenario where they are not responsible unless you had some sort of mishap after the purchase and they are not covering the results of that. You didn't refer to anything like that so it must not be the case.

If you hold your ground, I can't see a solution that doesn't make you happy and not cost you a dime. Forget the salesman - he doesn't have a say in this because it's out of his pay grade - deal directly with the manager. If it doesn't sound the way you think it should, remind them what a powerful tool social media can be. Then go directly to the BBB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you bought this from a reputable dealership and with an extended warranty while it also passed a state inspection, then there is no way this should be happening and since it is, I can't imagine any scenario where they are not responsible unless you had some sort of mishap after the purchase and they are not covering the results of that. You didn't refer to anything like that so it must not be the case.

If you hold your ground, I can't see a solution that doesn't make you happy and not cost you a dime. Forget the salesman - he doesn't have a say in this because it's out of his pay grade - deal directly with the manager. If it doesn't sound the way you think it should, remind them what a powerful tool social media can be. Then go directly to the BBB.
Yep, I bought it from a local Honda Dealership, and NOT a buy here, pay here type of place where the car is sold ‘as is’. I’ve literally only driven the jeep to and from work(which my job is 8 miles away with a max speed of 45 mph). Then the first time I took it on the highway at speeds of 70mph all these issues started popping up. It doesn’t make sense the tires passed inspection not even 2 months ago and now they’re all cupped and need to be replaced. The service department said that I needed to talk to the salesman, but i’ve yet to here from him so i’ll be going straight to the manager!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I ended up taking my jeep to a a local firestone shop(which I know mechanics there), and they said the tires are indeed cupped due to the tires never being rotated, being out of balance and alignment issues. They also said that there's NOTHING wrong with my caliper, or axels, unlike the service department at Honda. I started hearing a rattling coming from the front underneath the vehicle, and apparently something to do with the strut wasn't welded on correctly. The repairs will cost about $1k altogether, which isn't TOO bad, but is crazy to me that I paid $20k for a vehicle not even a month ago, and now have to have repairs done and pay out of pocket!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
You may be able to take the estimate to the Honda dealer, but most used cars are sold AS-IS, so if you didn't get an independent inspection before you signed the sales contract (and used that to negotiate the sales price), there is not much you can do...
Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts