2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone !

I Bought a 2017 jeep cherokee and sinve ive owned it its been doing some vibrating sounds in the front end when turning. I thought it was the tires rubbing (i changed my tires to the parelli Scorpions all terrain) but i didnt not go up a size i kept them factory size. Has anyone else ever had this issue ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey everyone !

I Bought a 2017 jeep cherokee and sinve ive owned it its been doing some vibrating sounds in the front end when turning. I thought it was the tires rubbing (i changed my tires to the parelli Scorpions all terrain) but i didnt not go up a size i kept them factory size. Has anyone else ever had this issue ?

Thank you!
Very interested in the response you get. Mine does the same. Dealer said it’s the transfer case on 4wd vehicles?? I don’t know enough about that to say if it’s a BS answer. Other than the noise and vibration no issue with it.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 3.2L 4x4
64 Posts
2016 Cherokee Latitude V6 4x4 ADI 112000 miles
So here's the deal, it's been doing it since I got it nearly 2000 miles ago, I thought nothing of it but my passengers all thought that it didn't sound right. When making a turn to pull into a parking spot or around a tight corner or backing out of said parking space it makes a groaning sound and kinda stutters backward like it's not catching properly. Watching the transmission I can't tell any gear slippage and regardless it only occurs on hard turns and when you give it some gas, doesn't seem to matter if it's just rolling. I am leaning towards it being the PTU but that's because I am stupid and still don't know how to properly diagnose a car. It also doesn't happen after the car has warmed up after driving and I can pull up to work just fine, but leaving it makes the noise and the little lurches/stutters. (I uploaded this video but honestly, you can barely hear it)
I bought it used so it doesn't have a warranty(although if y'all have any recommendations for warranties I could get). I would highly prefer not going to a Jeep dealership for a part replacement as the only things I read on this forum is horror stories on how little they give a **** about my money and rarely get the problem on the first try. It's not impeding my ability to drive yet but I wanna figure it out before something breaks. ( also buying a new car and trading in are not solutions)
Thanks, y'all
Edit: Heres the front wheel wells if that helps.
View attachment 216424 View attachment 216425
Checkout this whole thread I made. there's two videos later on, is the sound the same in that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interested in the response you get. Mine does the same. Dealer said it’s the transfer case on 4wd vehicles?? I don’t know enough about that to say if it’s a BS answer. Other than the noise and vibration no issue with it.
I definitely don’t think it’s the transfer case, but you never know! I’m gonna make an appointment with the jeep dealer here and see what they say. I just bought it and it only has 54,000km plus I bought the extended warranty so hopefully whatever is happening is covered!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checkout this whole thread I made. there's two videos later on, is the sound the same in that?
It’s not exactly like that sound, I will try and get a recording of it tomorrow! It’s really like a rubbing/vibration. I can definitely keep you posted since mine will still be warranty work! Disappointed so far since I just got the suv and it only has 54,000 km on it

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing or CV. Unfortunately you don't know how the previous owner put on the 54000km.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
577 Posts
The KL Cherokee does not have a transfer case , it has PTU power transfer unit, and it is designed to allow all wheel drive use without the binding of a 50/50 lock part time transfer case, except in LOW range the Cherokee should not feel like it’s dragging/binding when turning. (And you will feel rear binding if using the rear locker in the trailhawk too)
probably a good idea to find a better dealership to go to .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just
The KL Cherokee does not have a transfer case , it has PTU power transfer unit, and it is designed to allow all wheel drive use without the binding of a 50/50 lock part time transfer case, except in LOW range the Cherokee should not feel like it’s dragging/binding when turning. (And you will feel rear binding if using the rear locker in the trailhawk too)
probably a good idea to find a better dealership to go to .
I just moved to Michigan from Vegas. So next oil change will ask.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
577 Posts
I’m near Traverse City, tip of the mit.
Grew up in Saint Clair Shores right at the Nautical Mile by Lake Saint Clair, and lived in Detroit a couple times. 😃

·
Registered
79 Posts
I definitely don’t think it’s the transfer case, but you never know! I’m gonna make an appointment with the jeep dealer here and see what they say. I just bought it and it only has 54,000km plus I bought the extended warranty so hopefully whatever is happening is covered!
any updates

1 - 12 of 12 Posts