2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 jeep Cherokee trail hawk. This last week it has started to die when I stop. Now while I’m driving it will die and I’ll get a message saying cannot shift while and drive. I have to stop turn the jeep off and start it again to continue. The check engine light is on so I came to O’Reillys he hooked it up to the diagnostics and says I have a vacuum leak. Has anyone ever had this issue I don’t even know how to begin looking for a vacuum leak any suggestions thank you

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have a 2015 jeep Cherokee trail hawk. This last week it has started to die when I stop. Now while I’m driving it will die and I’ll get a message saying cannot shift while and drive. I have to stop turn the jeep off and start it again to continue. The check engine light is on so I came to O’Reillys he hooked it up to the diagnostics and says I have a vacuum leak. Has anyone ever had this issue I don’t even know how to begin looking for a vacuum leak any suggestions thank you
Welcome from Utah!!! What engine do you have, and did you happen to have O'Reilly's do a load test on the battery??? Not saying it's not a vacuum leak, but our Cherokees do some really weird things when the battery starts to fail. They are very sensitive to low voltage situations. That's where I would start. Keep us posted...😎

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am really interested there is a vacuum leak. We don't seem to have a lot of vacuum leak problems.
Generally when there is a vacuum leak there will be a whistle noise in the engine area.
The vacuum leak could also be in the EVAP system for the fuel tank and lines.
Do you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine.
Can you share the code reported by O'Reillys?
If you live where it is hot and leave the TH parked in the sun there could be deteriorating rubber hose fittings.
Approximately how many miles are on the odometer?
You could remove the cover over the engine and look for cracked rubber hoses or a disconnected hose.
There could be rodent damage so look for nuts, seeds, nesting materials.
Just lift straight up on the cover, there are 4 pins holding it in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Utah!!! What engine do you have, and did you happen to have O'Reilly's do a load test on the battery??? Not saying it's not a vacuum leak, but our Cherokees do some really weird things when the battery starts to fail. They are very sensitive to low voltage situations. That's where I would start. Keep us posted...😎
Thank you for responding this is my first time posting I’m just trying to figure out what to do next. I Went to O’Reillys first they told me it was a vacuum leak then I crossed over to AutoZone and this is what they told me the code is P2172 and U1424.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum.
I am really interested there is a vacuum leak. We don't seem to have a lot of vacuum leak problems.
Generally when there is a vacuum leak there will be a whistle noise in the engine area.
The vacuum leak could also be in the EVAP system for the fuel tank and lines.
Do you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine.
Can you share the code reported by O'Reillys?
If you live where it is hot and leave the TH parked in the sun there could be deteriorating rubber hose fittings.
Approximately how many miles are on the odometer?
You could remove the cover over the engine and look for cracked rubber hoses or a disconnected hose.
There could be rodent damage so look for nuts, seeds, nesting materials.
Just lift straight up on the cover, there are 4 pins holding it in place.
Thank you, This is my first time posting so I’m trying to figure all of this out I have a 2.4 L I believe it’s the trail hawk addition I have 130,000 miles on my vehicle. I just bought it about six months ago and I’ve had several little issues with it but my biggest issue now is when I started and I drive off when I stop it dies it loses power and I’ll get messages saying cannot shift while and drive which made me think maybe it has something to do with transmission or 4 x 4 issues. I went to O’Reilly‘s first and they said it was a large vacuum leak then I came to AutoZone where he connected the diagnostic and A get two codes one says throttle actuator control system sudden high airflow detected and the other says implausible engine torque signal received so this is foreign language to me. I’m trying to figure out what to do next I did post a picture of the diagnostic from AutoZone. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Found this: New TH Engine light issues
Generally you can use "Search Community" above or the Internet, or YouTube, or "Recommended Reading" below to find additional information.
A Tigershark engine with 130K miles is incredible, you must be doing something right.
Check if this TSB has been done:
Try this YouTube video:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thank you for responding this is my first time posting I’m just trying to figure out what to do next. I Went to O’Reillys first they told me it was a vacuum leak then I crossed over to AutoZone and this is what they told me the code is P2172 and U1424.
It could still be as simple as the battery. Do you happen to know about how old your battery is? Cherokees, and most newer vehicles are very hard on batteries. My original in my 19 lasted 14 months. Surf around here, and you will see, we've seen so many different random electrical issues, codes and strange, and unexplainable things caused by low voltage, and weak batteries. I'm sticking with that for now until we can rule it out. Head back up to the parts store, and get it tested. Be sure to have them give you a printout of the battery health info, and come back, and we'll go from there...😎

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You have Jeep dealers all over the place where you are.
Find a good honest dealer and let them figure out the actual problem and solution.
Have the Service Advisor print a VIP report and review it with you.
Make sure all recalls are done and have them determine if there are any TSBs applicable to your complaint.
The Service Advisor should use wiAdvisor to provide more information.
Before the pandemic I practically lived at my Jeep dealer.
Can't beat free hot chocolate and pop corn, now no pop corn due to the pandemic.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I vote with Flybynightcru, it is most likely the battery. A dying battery will throw a lot of odd codes, which the OP has. It’s free and easy to go to Autozone etc. for an electronic load test of the battery - no need to find a dealer, set an appointment, drive to the dealer, wait....you get the idea. If the battery fails the test, problem solved with a new battery. If not, then the dealer. Good luck, I hope it’s just the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I bought the electric throttle body. According to Autozone and other searches that seems to be the problem. I’m going to attempt cleaning it first and if that doesn’t work I’m going to replace it. Hoping this works bc I drive all day as a courier. 🤞🏻Thank you for all of the input. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
???? So did they test the battery??? The dudes at Autozone aren't mechanics, I barely trust them to run a battery test, so taking mechanical advice from them is kinda like taking advice on fine dining from the kid working the drive thru at McDonald's...I smell an expensive lesson on the horizon...Oh well, live and learn!!!🤔😎

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
40 Posts
???? So did they test the battery??? The dudes at Autozone aren't mechanics, I barely trust them to run a battery test, so taking mechanical advice from them is kinda like taking advice on fine dining from the kid working the drive thru at McDonald's...I smell an expensive lesson on the horizon...Oh well, live and learn!!!🤔😎
I second that.

You need to take it to a dealership service department or a real mechanic, otherwise you are just going to be wasting a bunch of time and money. These cars are extremely complex and a bunch of people on an internet forum is not going to be an efficient way to diagnose your car's problems. It would be one thing if it was your spare car and you had a lot of time to tinker and learn, but even then you should enlist the help of some friend who is reasonably well knowledgeable about automotive mechanics and newer vehicle electronics who can look at the vehicle in-person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, yes my had my battery tested and it’s good I just bought my battery six months ago. I have kept up with all the maintenance and had everything cleaned a bunch of new hoses put on it I do my oil change every 3000 miles and all the maintenance and everything on it I do myself. It had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it so in six months I’ve put 30,000 miles on it. The only problem I’ve been having is that when I stop suddenly it turns off and sometimes when I accelerate.So last night when I got home I took the cover off And started looking around checking all of the hoses I disconnected the hose on top that goes to the air filter to get to the electric throttle when I got to the electric throttle it was extremely dirty. I got the DW 40 sprayed it really good open the door the little flap and then I got a rag and stuck it down in there and cleaned it out I did this like four or five times until it looked new again put everything back together tightened everything up took it for a test drive and it drives like a brand new Jeep 😁. So therefore I didn’t have to replace the electric throttle so I can take that back and basically all this cost me was a can of WD 40 and a little bit of time. The way it was driving I thought I was going to have to put in a new motor or transmission 😂. So now you know if you ever get those codes the first thing you should do is probably just clean your electric throttle because it was extremely dirty black sticky with a lot of build up and the door could not close all the way it was staying open which was allowing too much airflow. Thank you for all of your advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
Nice to know our high tech Cherokees can still be maintained with a bit of old fashioned elbow grease. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts