2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Thought I saw somewhere that a diesel is offered in the UK for a KL Cherokee. Disclaimer: I have not dug into that personally.
Yep, lots of diesel KLs overseas, though I may have read that they might not be sold as much nowadays in some countries, with all the diesel/emissions controversies...

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Thought I saw somewhere that a diesel is offered in the UK for a KL Cherokee. Disclaimer: I have not dug into that personally.
Yes, you can get the diesels I think, every market except North American. Thanks Volkswagen!!! LOL...馃槑

Registered
Possible? Maybe, nobody's tried. Practical? Hell no!!! I put a Coyote 5.0 in a 67 Fairlane, designed to accept a 427 Side Oiler, and though very doable, and a lot more practical, it was far from cheap or easy. Still apple's to oranges with a KL. I'd love to see a full custom KL "Restomod", why don't you build one, and show us how it's done...馃槑
Happy for you...nice swap.....
Never said I had any intention of doing a swap on the Cherokee....maybe you should do one....
As I said anything is possible....engine swaps (especially cross brand or platform) are never practical and always expensive (hence the $$$$ signs, sure you didn't miss that) ....
sorry if that stirs your cornflakes funny.:cool:

Registered
the 9 speed in a cherokee is rated to 350ft lbs. However, the PTU is an unknown since torque limits on that are not published.

Reactions: Leems

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
the 9 speed in a cherokee is rated to 350ft lbs. However, the PTU is an unknown since torque limits on that are not published.
Interesting. I wonder what the spec's (engine size, torque, towing capacity, etc. ) are on the diesel package? Just curious, mind you.

Registered
Interesting. I wonder what the spec's (engine size, torque, towing capacity, etc. ) are on the diesel package? Just curious, mind you.
The 2.2L multi-jet diesel has 197 HP with 325 lb.ft of torque : Jeep Cherokee 2.2 Multijet 200 Limited 5dr Auto

The 2.0L diesel sports lower power and torque, of course.

Towing capacity : that depends on the country.. This one ^^ with the 2.2 is rated at 5500 lbs (UK).

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
The 2.2L multi-jet diesel has 197 HP with 325 lb.ft of torque : Jeep Cherokee 2.2 Multijet 200 Limited 5dr Auto

The 2.0L diesel sports lower power and torque, of course.

Towing capacity : that depends on the country.. This one ^^ with the 2.2 is rated at 5500 lbs (UK).
Very interesting. This shouldn't be like 'reinventing the wheel' at all, but for the transmission, it states: Transmission Automatic, and I imagine that would be the ever famous 9-speed.

Now the price tag for this engine swap could be quite high. And would Jeep Dealerships be at odds with this? I can't think that there are any of these mutants running around in North America. But a turbo diesel...

Registered
Very interesting. This shouldn't be like 'reinventing the wheel' at all, but for the transmission, it states: Transmission Automatic, and I imagine that would be the ever famous 9-speed.

Now the price tag for this engine swap could be quite high. And would Jeep Dealerships be at odds with this? I can't think that there are any of these mutants running around in North America. But a turbo diesel...
There was a diesel for GCs for a while... but afaik the 2.2 and 2.0 diesels were never seen on this side of the Atlantic. Here in Canada we've had a few manufacturers allowing us to have a diesel (VW comes to mind in some models), but not FCA with these multi-jets..

Edit to add : about the automatic, yeah... the 9-speed. I think they had a manual option for diesel models.

Registered
Now that would be a swap worth doing.....manual with the V6....

Registered
There are manuals, and diesel Cherokees, just not in North America...馃槑
Yep....I think if the OP wanted a swap worth doing, adapting a manual to the V6 would be a more reasonable path. The 3.2 would be quite snappy with a decent manual behind (beside) it.
I wonder if it is the same P/N as the manual that was available with the gas I4 in the Compass Sport previously? Probably not, but if it was it should be able to take the V6 torque with no problem. Although, the gear ratios would probably not be an ideal match for the V6 .....

Premium Member
You lose the big ratio spread if you went with the 6 speed vs the 9 speed, while the fun factory would be there the overall gearing would be less. The 3.2 is snappy with only a tune, even snappier with mods and a tune.

Registered
You lose the big ratio spread if you went with the 6 speed vs the 9 speed, while the fun factory would be there the overall gearing would be less. The 3.2 is snappy with only a tune, even snappier with mods and a tune.
Bah, the 6-spd manual would be plenty 'o gears. Mega-gear autos are overrated......lol

Registered
Modding a transverse V8 of some kind into KL might be entirely doable - but it'd be entirely custom as far as driveline as well as the engine - ie. prolly based on the FWD sport and use the donor engine + trans (FWD) complete.

For my money I think the way to go for ultimate performance that can be had in the V6 KL 4WD configuration would be to turn the KL 3.2 into 3.6 - ie. bored cylinders + 3.6 pistons - then have the heads worked (tho Chrysler I think have em pretty well optimised already so I don't know there's much room there) - and then cams with a bit more lift and optimised phase angles for improved performance at higher revs (factory setup seems breathless to me - but that matches the 4WD purpose - ie. nice strong bottom end). PLUS tuning to make it all work of course.

That should all get it near 330hp at the flywheel fairly easily I'd think?

Performance models of 3.6 Chrysler 200 go pretty well dont they?

I'm hoping to see 3.6 drop in engines and head / cam packages appear at some stage for the KL.

Premium Member
I had nearly that HP from my 3.2 with the mods I have.......if you want a 3.6, quite literally swap it in. The Chrysler 200 is a lowered cherokee with AWD, 3.6 engine plus PCM = done.

Registered
Sweet! - I thought it looked awful similar!

Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
if you want a 3.6, quite literally swap it in. The Chrysler 200 is a lowered cherokee with AWD, 3.6 engine plus PCM = done.
Why'd you tell him that? Now for the next 2-3 years he owns this car he's going to be "that guy" who won't shut up to his friend's about how 'someday' he's going to 3.6 swap his Cherokee to make it real mean... I have one of those friends whose had his V6 Mustang the entire going-on ten years that I've known him and to this day every time I see him he wants to remind me about how someday he's gonna "2JZ swap" his Mustang... and at least he has a real shot at doing it and making a real difference! Who on earth is (realistically) ever going to 3.2 -> 3.6 swap a KL Cherokee? I'll wait but I bet my Mustang buddy finishes his 2JZ swap first 馃榿

Registered
In fact I'm lining up to retire in about 4 years - at which stage I'm planning to grab a 4-5 year old Trackhawk - so THAT's what I keep talking to all MY friends about! ;) I do miss our old 185mph sedan (which I built myself - including heavy head work - including singh grooves - and tuning - not just talking about that - actually DID it) - but the little Cheeky goes alright up to 80 or so which is enough for me these days.

Reactions: arudlang
21 - 40 of 46 Posts