2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 jeep Cherokee trailhawk L plus 3.2 v6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jeep Cherokee th 3.2 v6. I’ve been wondering if I could squeeze a small block ls v8 like maybe the 4.8. Does anybody know of anybody who has done this or if it is even possible. I also can’t find the dimensions of the engine bay so if anybody knows please put it in the thread.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Haven't heard of anybody doing that. Maybe the Pentastar 3.6L V8 would fit.
With all of the computers that need to communicate it would probably not work even if you got it to fit physically.
You would probably have to change the entire drivetrain so it could handle the torque.
It would probably be easier to take a Dodge Charger SRT and massage the body to look like the Cherokee.
You can do anything in Photo Shop.
If you have a few million $ to spend you can do anything.

Let's see if this makes better, realistic, sense?
Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and rebadge it as a Cherokee Trailhawk.
Maybe make a few other body modifications? Not sure what could be done.
Most people wouldn't know the difference.
I can't tell the difference between Compass, Liberty, Patriot and whatever else unless I look at the name on the side door.
I rebadged my Cherokee Trailhawk as a FIAT, most people don't have a clue.

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
269 Posts
Maybe the Pentastar 3.6L V8 would fit.
You mean the Pentastar 3.6L V6, right? Never heard of a Pentastar V8...

But yeah what you are asking is essentially impossible unless you have won some kind of lottery and have no spending limit for your project. Crazy engine swaps are just about an extinct concept on modern cars due to the computerization of every component.

·
Registered
11,819 Posts
Transverse V8 is a Cherokee ? Uhm no. Plus... you'd need all new transmission/drivetrain (which doesn't exist) plus new electronics. Can it be done with real motivation and expertise ? Sure. How much $$ ? Probably high $$$$$.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Haven't heard of anybody doing that. Maybe the Pentastar 3.6L V8 would fit.
With all of the computers that need to communicate it would probably not work even if you got it to fit physically.
You would probably have to change the entire drivetrain so it could handle the torque.
It would probably be easier to take a Dodge Charger SRT and massage the body to look like the Cherokee.
You can do anything in Photo Shop.
If you have a few million $ to spend you can do anything.
The 3.6 is not a V8. The 5.7 is the smallest V8 currently available for a while now since the old 4.7 back in the late 90's that came in some Grand Cherokees back in the day...As far as dropping ANY V8 in a KL, that ain't happening. The current V6 Barely fits, and not to mention, there's no way in hell your getting any tranverse V8 in there...😎

·
Registered
11,819 Posts

But this is a North-South configuration, with a ZF-8. Our little 9-speed can't take this much power (I think..).

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
This is a 5.7 in an XJ, which has way more room, was never a transverse platform, and obviously still doesn't quite fit if you want a hood...this was a huge, complicated, and expensive custom retrofit, that gained nothing, except pure coolness!!!😎
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Anything is possible if you have the skills and the $$$$.
A friend of mine in Regina built this....yes, that's a Cadillac Northstar V8 in a 91 Golf.
Nobody said you have to use a Chrysler V8, GM has made plenty of transverse V8 setups over the years.....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have a jeep Cherokee th 3.2 v6. I’ve been wondering if I could squeeze a small block ls v8 like maybe the 4.8. Does anybody know of anybody who has done this or if it is even possible. I also can’t find the dimensions of the engine bay so if anybody knows please put it in the thread.
Welcome to JCC. As you can tell from the previous responses, your idea just isn’t practical. The KL platform really is not suitable for much more power than it now has if you want reliability. If you need a V8, the Grand Cherokee is for you. My Challenger 392 had the same engine/trans as the GC SRT, a wonderful combination!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Anything is possible if you have the skills and the $$$$.
Possible? Maybe, nobody's tried. Practical? Hell no!!! I put a Coyote 5.0 in a 67 Fairlane, designed to accept a 427 Side Oiler, and though very doable, and a lot more practical, it was far from cheap or easy. Still apple's to oranges with a KL. I'd love to see a full custom KL "Restomod", why don't you build one, and show us how it's done...😎
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
607 Posts
The best option for a V8 swap that might fit is the GM LS4. It is a transverse engine commonly found in the Grand prix GXP, Bonneville GXP, Impala SS.

The Northstar motor is a great motor after you put in longer head studs. They are stout and love to be revved high. Only downside is where GM decided to put the start on that motor (under the intake manifold in the oil valley in the middle of the engine).

·
Registered
607 Posts
But still the question that remains, is why???😎
Why not?
Why does one add a K&N?
Why does one add different wheels?
Why does one add a light bar?
Why does one add a roof rack?
Why does one add a lift kit?
Why does one modify a car from factory?
Because we want more, and its fun.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
The thing is the northstar V8 really doesn't have any more power than the 3.6 (especially if the 3.6 has some mods) it might end up with a tad more torque but the pentastar will have more horsepower. The exhaust would sound much cooler though

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Why not?
Why does one add a K&N?
Why does one add different wheels?
Why does one add a light bar?
Why does one add a roof rack?
Why does one add a lift kit?
Why does one modify a car from factory?
Because we want more, and its fun.
There's quite a bit more involved with a V8 swap than any of those things. Huge difference between "bolt on" and "complete reengineering"...😎

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,008 Posts
Thought I saw somewhere that a diesel is offered in the UK for a KL Cherokee. Disclaimer: I have not dug into that personally.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 20 of 46 Posts