2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee North and I wasn't happy to find out it didn't have a CD player; instead, to listen to the thousands of songs I have in my collection i have to transfer from CD to USB stick (phone and cloud are not options for me). That's a pain in and of itself, but the fact is when I insert a USB stick, it usually takes between 2 and 5 minutes before I can access the files. It starts playing a random track until the database is built up, and then I'm able to browse folders, etc. Now, if this was simply a default setting for whenever a USB stick is inserted, that would be annoying (especially when switching between USBs) but understandable, but I'll be in the middle of a song- or an audiobook or a podcast MP3 - and I'll turn my car off for 5 minutes to buy gas or pick up a Slurpee, and when I turn the car on again ... it has to rebuild the database from the USB all over again and it starts playing that random track again, and if I want to get back to where I was listening, I have to a) wait the 2-5 minutes, and then find the track, and then scroll ahead to where I was (needless to say, not something advisable to be doing while driving, so I'm generally stuck parked while I wait). It's one thing if I'm listing to a 3-minute song, but I have audiobook tracks that run a full hour or more. And I'm not talking about me having added or deleted files in the meantime. I have USBs that I haven't changed the files on in months. Does it with them regularly.

Making things even more annoying is sometimes ... none of this happens. I'll start the car after being away for 5 minutes - for 3 days, or after inserting a USB I haven't used in a week - and everything will be instant and it'll even resume playing at the correct spot in the track I was last listening to. Basically acting as it's supposed to. It's almost become a bit of a guessing game for me: what will the USB do this time? And everything I describe has happened to the different USB sticks I have - it doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue with a specific USB unless the sticks recommended to me for this use by Best Buy, Radio Shack (aka Source) and the dealership itself are not compatible.

It's gotten to the point where I've started inquiries into getting a third-party CD player installed just to be done with this nonsense. Once again, phone and cloud aren't options. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I be taking my Jeep back to the dealership for a check because the audio system is messed up? Or is there a way to cancel the database rebuilding if it's not warranted? It's honestly been doing it since I bought the thing 14 months ago. Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get a SD card. You can get them pretty large. I have one it takes a sec to load but works every time. Or just Bluetooth your phone. Since you have the digital files (from transferring from cd to flash stick). You can lid them to itunes easily. Then play through your phone. Or buy a large SD card. You can buy a mini sd card but you’ll want to make sure you get the adapter. You can get 128gb with the adapter on Amazon around 20$. 128gb is around 6000 songs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a SD card. You can get them pretty large. I have one it takes a sec to load but works every time. Or just Bluetooth your phone. Since you have the digital files (from transferring from cd to flash stick). You can lid them to itunes easily. Then play through your phone. Or buy a large SD card. You can buy a mini sd card but you’ll want to make sure you get the adapter. You can get 128gb with the adapter on Amazon around 20$. 128gb is around 6000 songs.
Thanks. Makes me wonder why they even bothered with the USB memory stick option if it wasn't going to work. As I mentioned, phone is not an option (i fill my phone with apps, video and pictures and I won't use the cloud because that involves accessing my data plan which I need for more important things). I might still end up installing a CD player later because finding songs on the USB is a real distraction while driving and the voice recognition system is useless for this especially when there are multiple songs of the same title ... or I can't remember the title. But I'll give the SD option a try in the meantime. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I nearly went and bought an SD card. Fortunately as I was about to drive off to the Best Buy I noticed my UConnect doesn't have an SD card slot. It's just USB.

Any other ideas for getting a USB to work properly (and predictably)? If not, I'll go get a CD player installed. (I assume there is probably some sort of USB-based SD converter out there, but as the point is to bypass USB, that won't work for me.) Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The USB port, I feel, was more to allow you to download files and install updates.
Oh of course it has other uses - including charging phones, etc. It's just annoying that the options for listening to one's personal music have been limited on what is otherwise a great vehicle. Since posting my last comments I've been told that it's apparently impossible to install a 3-party CD player due to the cost and configuration. But Best Buy has a portable MP3 player that hooks up via the Aux port (which I do have). Unfortunately it requires a mini-SD and in my part of Canada those things cost more than the MP3 player itself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run a 64gb stick in a 19 Limited and it works well..better than the ipod I replaced .
It has 4000 songs and picks up where it left off with no issue day after day however I dont have folders just songs...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a 64gb stick in a 19 Limited and it works well..better than the ipod I replaced .
It has 4000 songs and picks up where it left off with no issue day after day however I dont have folders just songs...
Oh I really hope it's not because of using folders that the USB doesn't working properly. I need to organize by artist as well as by album otherwise it's pointless to even do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 500GB portable SSD inside the armrest with almost 14000 songs. All in folders by artist/album.
Takes a few seconds to start playing, but always returns to the same song. I have played through the entire contents in order and also shuffled.

If I want to browse the song list on the screen, I have to wait a while after starting, otherwise it just sits there with ...
Not sure how long it actually needs, but a 15 minute drive to work is enough time. Searching by voice seems to work when the browsing doesn't.

Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts