2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -
I am experiencing some periodic issues with the usb ports in my 2019 Trailhawk. Some times they work and others they do not. Not sure If I am doing something wrong or not. I leave my iPhone cord in the console usb so I can use Apple Carplay and I have a brand new 32 gb thumb drive I use in the main usb port below radio for music. Sometimes it recognizes it and others it does not. After leaving them plugged in over night, this morning they would not recognize anything. I even tried plugging into the ports in the back seat and still nothing. Then after a while it finally started to recognize the thumb drive and started playing music.
Is this normal behavior? I would think you just leave stuff plugged in and it should recognize with no issues etc.
Also - how do you soft reboot the system?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hello All -
I am experiencing some periodic issues with the usb ports in my 2019 Trailhawk. Some times they work and others they do not. Not sure If I am doing something wrong or not. I leave my iPhone cord in the console usb so I can use Apple Carplay and I have a brand new 32 gb thumb drive I use in the main usb port below radio for music. Sometimes it recognizes it and others it does not. After leaving them plugged in over night, this morning they would not recognize anything. I even tried plugging into the ports in the back seat and still nothing. Then after a while it finally started to recognize the thumb drive and started playing music.
Is this normal behavior? I would think you just leave stuff plugged in and it should recognize with no issues etc.

Thank you in advance

For 2019s, the only way known is to pull fuse F80 (under hood) for about 30 seconds, and then replace the fuse.
I had to do this once, and it fixed the wonky behavior on mine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can do a soft reset on the 2019 by the following procedure:

Put car in ACC mode. Hold the green phone button and the VR button together for 30 seconds. Ignore any prompts you may hear. Release the buttons and put the car in off mode. Open the driver door for 30 seconds. Close the door and start the car.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Not normal. I leave a thumb drive plugged in all the time in the
center console. FYI, the right side USB in the rear is for power
only. The left side should recognize music. Is it just the thumb
drive, or Apple Carplay as well?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My opinion is there is a problem with USB ports that connect to UConnect. That is when most issues have occurred for me, such as not recognizing devices or UConnect completely freezing for various amounts of time before resetting itself. I do not use CarPlay anymore, and rely on power outlet USB adapters for power while streaming over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not normal. I leave a thumb drive plugged in all the time in the
center console.
Agree, not normal. I have a MP3 filled flash drive plugged into the center console, as well as the one by the rear seats. Both work flawlessly.

Gotta use MP3s though, FLAC files are hit or miss as to whether they work or not, and are not officially supported.

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback y'all! All is working at the moment. Will definitely keep an eye (and ear) on things and any more issues I definitely will let dealership know. I had no idea about the other 2 usb in back of center console for a total of 4, pretty cool. And sure seems like quite a production to reset the radio, I'll probably just leave to the dealership to worry about that kind of stuff.
Peace & happy trails:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a software update just released for the 8.4 radio. But I don’t remember all the issues it was supposed to fix, I can look for you later tonight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Software update 1828.08 doesn’t mention anything about usb issues, but I’d still see what the dealer has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem in my '19 Trailhawk. Drives me crazy -- every day when I get into the car, I need to unplug and then replug my iPod in to the USB, so that the car will recognize it. In my previous cars (Subaru Forester & Nissan Xterra), I could just leave the iPod plugged in all the time, and whenever I called it up via the head unit, it would play. Never had to unplug/replug.

You said that your's is now working ok -- did you do anything in particular to fix it??

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hello All -

Thank you in advance
I've had the problem since new. When Carplay doesn't work, neither does my USB port. It's dead. Sometimes after a quick car restart it works. Sometimes it takes a few restarts. Mine hasn't done it in a few months now that I know of (wife drives it). I brought it in for warranty work. Dealer replaced the USB hub and then said probably bad iPhone cable lol. I drive away from dealership and that same day it did it again. Cracks me up. Top it all off, I had a video of it happen. I hooked up 2 different cables to my iPad and to my iPhone in the video. The effing port is dead, period. I imagine a lot of complaints happen and it is a bad cable. I tried to emphasize to them that I also used the original cable with same results. They still wrote probably bad cable on work order. People on here even said bad cable without evening reading the facts lol. Can't make that **** up. Something happens periodically that causes the USB hub to go dead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same problem in my '19 Trailhawk. Drives me crazy -- every day when I get into the car, I need to unplug and then replug my iPod in to the USB, so that the car will recognize it. In my previous cars (Subaru Forester & Nissan Xterra), I could just leave the iPod plugged in all the time, and whenever I called it up via the head unit, it would play. Never had to unplug/replug.

You said that your's is now working ok -- did you do anything in particular to fix it??

Thanks
Mike -
Since I posted this, I luckily have had no other issues. There is nothing I have done to rectify this. I hope it continues to give me no issues. If it does I will report back. I will also let the dealership know of this next time I am there.
Thanks & good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:
I had the issue again yesterday where none of my USB ports were working. I Googled searched the issue and pulled up a thread on Wrangler Forum. There seems to be quite a few people there who have experienced this issue quite frequently. A Jeep representative responded with the following suggestion (which I have tried and they started working again, hopefully the issue is resolved) -
On iPhone, go to Settings.
Then go to Touch ID & Passcode. (enter passcode)

Scroll all the way down to USB Accessories. (Turn On)

Hopefully that does the trick!

Reactions: Bariq

·
Registered
444 Posts
Let us know how it goes. That wasn't and hasn't been my issue, but hopefully yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2019 grand Cherokee summit with less than 12,000 miles on it a month ago. I have the majority of my music collection on a USB external hard drive. I could not get it to play in either of the two front USBs. In fact I could not even see the blue light come on indicating power. When I plugged in my phone charger cord that seemed to confirm no power to the front USBs although there was power at the rear USBs. No surprise the external hard drive would not play music from Either of the rear USBs. I had had intermittent problems with the front USBs on my 2014 which I sold two months ago. Since the 2019 is under warranty, I made an appointment to get the trouble diagnosed. The service manager and I both suspected fuse and expected the fix to take an hour and a half or two hours so the appointment was to wait not leave it. Three hours later the technician could still not determine the cause. It took most of two days to determine that the front media hub was defective. The dealer did not have the part in stock but it was overnighted. Was able to pick up the vehicle halfway through the third day. Quite a drawn out adventure so I was thankful they gave me a loaner in the meantime. The fix has worked. In the 2014 it often took the system quite a while to load and play from my music library. In the repaired 2019, as soon as I plugged it in it immediately started playing music, so I think the software in the 2019 is more efficient for gathering files.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone found a cure for the issue of having to unplug then plug in an Ipod after an overnight shutdown.It is quite annoying to have to do this every time my 13 Journey does not do this.... thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts