2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am moving from New Hampshire to Toronto with most of my stuff and just realized that the 5x8 U-Haul trailer I rented is not going to be enough. Luckily for me, the same location has a 6x12 cargo trailer that is available for the dates.

I asked them at U-Haul if with the hitch they installed (Class 3 hitch, Max weight: 5,000 lbs., Max distribution weight: 6,000 lbs.), I could tow that 6x12 trailer (Max load: 1,800 lbs. Gross vehicle weight: 2,700 lbs. max, Empty weight: 900 lbs.) and they said they don't know.

I am looking for someone to advice me if this is a good idea or not? The trailer comes with a surge brake, and the route I am going to be taking will not be exactly flat. I am probably going to be loading my my trunk with some suite cases as well

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
You have the 2.4 4cyl , your max tow capacity is 2,000#, regardless of the hitch. You may want to try the northern route: I91N, then Canada 55 - 10 - 401
(a bit easier route, may even be faster than the US route via Buffalo)
Especially if you aren't used to towing.
Did you have a brake controller installed on the Jeep?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Of course, if you are in Southern NH, you could always go via I84 - I81 - I86 - I390 - I90 - I190 - QE Way

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
251 Posts
Did you have a brake controller installed on the Jeep?
Not applicable, those u-hauls just have surge brakes on the drawbar, no electronics involved.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP, if you are careful you will be fine but you will need to make sure the trailer is loaded properly (with regards to weight distribution) and you will have to use autostick/ERS (whichever you have) to keep out of the overdrive gears and lugging the engine.

I pulled the same 6x12 enclosed U-haul trailer back from the mountains in West Virginia to my home in Minnesota with my 2018 Jeep Compass that has the same 2.4 motor and the same 9 speed transmission. Trailer had a rare 1600 lb japanese car inside. Over 1100 miles for the trip one-way. It wasn't ideal but the truck I had lined up to tow the trailer fell through so my little Jeep stepped up to the plate and did what it needed to do.

Depending on the weight of your stuff and the wind you might never be able to get above 5th gear, maybe 6th on some steep downhills. You won't be doing any speeding. It's ok for the engine to hummm along 3200-3600 RPM or even a little more, even for hundreds of miles at a time. With the 2.4 you have no choice because you need to be in the powerband and getting enough torque out of the motor to maintain highway speed. I've done it more than just the one time with that 6x12 U-haul... but the first time was 55 thousand miles ago and it still runs perfect with no engine or transmission issues whatsoever.

Even though there is a surge break, your brakes on you car need to be in top condition and your tires need to be in good shape as well. You need to give the task of driving your full attention when pulling a big trailer with a small car. You must manage the transmission manually or else you will explode it. We just had a guy blow out the 9-speed on his 2.4 Compass on the other forum a few weeks ago from improperly towing (despite having given him the same warning I'm giving you now). Probably 2-3 reports total of overheating and damaging the 9 speed over on the Compass forum from people who don't manually manage the gear and let the transmission overheat itself shifting non-stop towing on hilly highways. Don't take my word for it, look for yourself in the owners manual, it says how to use autostick or ERS (again, whichever yours has) and it also says to use it for heavy towing or in hilly terrain to prevent the transmission from shifting excessively. You don't have a tow mode because your brain is the tow mode, autostick or ERS is what Jeep has provided you to do the towing job you have coming up. Use it or risk loosing your transmission.

Give the extra room needed for the extended braking distance to stop the large trailer. The surge brake worked well in emergency stops on the particular trailer I had from u-haul but you can't rely on it. Check oil levels at gas fillups keep an eye on coolant and transmission temps, they will run a little high than usual perhaps but its working hard so its not a major issue until you get into the red zones or it starts popping up warnings. I've never seen a temp warning while towing myself even after tens of thousands of miles of towing at or near the limit.

You can refer to the transmission gauge once in a while to make sure things are ok, but I mainly like to use the instantaneous MPG screen because the current realtime MPG (not the average) will help you infer how much load the engine is under and whether your current gear is appropriate. Expect 13-14 MPG probably for towing that particular trailer, it is very heavy even unloaded (all of u-haul's trailers are heavy steel for durability).

If you can stick to 55-60 MPH would be best, by the end of my trip I was wanting to get home and I was going much faster but its pretty risky and not recommended. If you are patient, pay attention, do everything right, you and the car should survive the trip just fine with no lasting damage. If it's not a healthy, well maintained Cherokee then I'd say you are taking a big risk, though.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You dont mention the weight of your gear.. if 5x8 isnt enough..
the 6x12 will be stretching your towing capacity which is 2000lb.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
@arudlang , just curious, what car did you have in the trailer - 1600# sounds like an old Kei car (Honda Z600 - love the 'gasket' hatch)?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've seen cars with virtually no tow rating pulling over-loaded U-Haul trailers down the road with the trailer swaying like it's listening to a good groove. (OK. Dating myself a little).

There's a lot of good advice posted, such as avoiding hills, going slower, and loading the trailer correctly.

Tow ratings are set for the worst-case expected conditions, i.e. the limits assume steep slopes, highway speeds, anti-sway working correctly, at the rated load limit, and on a regular basis.

Flat-ish roads at slower speeds with an eye on engine and transmission temps for a one-time trip with the trailer loaded correctly? Sounds reasonable to me. Just keep in mind that the anti-sway may not work on a vehicle without the tow package, but that's what the "loaded correctly" addresses anyway.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
251 Posts
@arudlang , just curious, what car did you have in the trailer - 1600# sounds like an old Kei car (Honda Z600 - love the 'gasket' hatch)?
1987 turbo Chevy Sprint (aka Suzuki cultus, aka Pontiac firefly, swift, etc) 👍😁 the rare part was the factory turbo three cylinder, one liter engine. Not many of those in the states.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
1987 turbo Chevy Sprint (aka Suzuki cultus, aka Pontiac firefly, swift, etc) 👍😁 the rare part was the factory turbo three cylinder, one liter engine. Not many of those in the states.
Cool little 'hot hatch'! Smallest I ever got was a '93 Miata C package, a whopping 600# heavier! :D

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
406 Posts
Those old school surge brakes are sketchy as hell. Use plenty of smooth braking...😎
I wouldn't exactly call surge brakes old school or sketchy...necessarily. There are lots of innovations that still go into surge brakes, and they are quite commonly installed still on brand new rigs, many times being purposefully selected and superior to electric brakes in the same application. My tandem axle boat trailer is a good example. Brand new rig, and yes...it has surge brakes. The reason? The parts for electric brakes tend to corrode and break when you submerge them in water over and over, especially salt water.

That being said, renting a trailer from Uhaul is a different story. You never know how or if that equipment is maintained, or if the brakes even work. Good reason to take it really easy on the braking.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
they are quite commonly installed still on brand new rigs
How many brand new U haul trailers do you see? I think a lot of them still on the road 20+ yrs old...That's what I talking about...😎

·
Registered
251 Posts
How many brand new U haul trailers do you see? I think a lot of them still on the road 20+ yrs old...That's what I talking about...😎
Yeah you just never know with their stuff. I was thankful the one I had to haul on that trip pulled nice and straight and had a functioning surge brake. Didn't have any problems going down steel hills in the mountains. Steering got a little light during some torrential downpouring rain at one point, but even then wasn't too scary. There was too much tongue weight for sure (it took a jack to get that trailer onto the car... myself and the other guy could not lift the tongue. The Sprint had been preloaded into the trailer for me but they put it in with the engine towards the front...) Despite that, rear suspension survived and like I said that was 55k miles ago so no apparent harm done.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Plant

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
Yeah you just never know with their stuff. I was thankful the one I had to haul on that trip pulled nice and straight and had a functioning surge brake. Didn't have any problems going down steel hills in the mountains. Steering got a little light during some torrential downpouring rain at one point, but even then wasn't too scary. There was too much tongue weight for sure (it took a jack to get that trailer onto the car... myself and the other guy could not lift the tongue. The Sprint had been preloaded into the trailer for me but they put it in with the engine towards the front...) Despite that, rear suspension survived and like I said that was 55k miles ago so no apparent harm done.

View attachment 216489

View attachment 216490
If you ever want to do that the easy way, I know a guy...LOL!!!😉😎

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts