2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Checked my oil today while gasing up, and noticed it was low. So low it was below the hatch marks. The oil was changed at the dealer about 1500 miles ago. Of course called the dealer and service department was closed today. I hope this is not a thing I'm going to have to worry about. Hopefully what ever is wrong have t even made my 2nd payment on this thing yet.

Sigh

Update 6/1 -- Dealer called me back took it in. They topped it off and said there was a TSB told me they rest my trip b and said to comeback in 1500-1800 miles so they can check it again.

Side note when i got there the service adviser thought i was someone else ( a look alike) i told him why i was here and he said didn't we just replace the motor in this and now its losing oil. Kinda funny side note. I guess there is another me in the same color jeep.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Checked my oil today while gasing up, and noticed it was low. So low it was below the hatch marks. The oil was changed at the dealer about 1500 miles ago. Of course called the dealer and service department was closed today. I hope this is not a thing I'm going to have to worry about. Hopefully what ever is wrong have t even made my 2nd payment on this thing yet.

Sigh
Refresh us, what year, what engine, miles???

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ah yes, the old Tigershark...Well, there are a lot of posts on here about oil consumption, and 98% of them involve this engine. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. I don't know a lot about that motor, but I did know that. Under warranty still??? Frequent oil checks, and buy it by the case, it's cheaper that way. That's the best I've got...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes, the old Tigershark...Well, there are a lot of posts on here about oil consumption, and 98% of them involve this engine. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. I don't know a lot about that motor, but I did know that. Under warranty still??? Frequent oil checks, and buy it by the case, it's cheaper that way. That's the best I've got...
I just spend the last few hours reading several threads about it and Well this is beyond a kick in the nuts. If i knew about this issue while looking at a new car, i would have passed on the Jeep or waited for the V6 that was not $2200 more. I mean I decided to treat my self for something nice and get me a car that is not 10+ years old, only to be kicked with a issue that apparently a known issues to jeep, and not resolved. I am suppose to be feeling the joy of new car ownership, but instead i have this lingering over my head. All i can do right now is wait till monday and call the dealer to schedule to have it looked at.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a2018 with the 2.4. I change the oil every 5-6k miles. I only have 14000 on the car, but only added less than 1 quart total. Not every 2.4 eats oil. You may need an oil consumption test, but they may replace your engine if it shows excessive oil use. Don’t panic, see what the dealer says (but don’t buy a line or s%#t either)....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just spend the last few hours reading several threads about it and Well this is beyond a kick in the nuts. If i knew about this issue while looking at a new car, i would have passed on the Jeep or waited for the V6 that was not $2200 more. I mean I decided to treat my self for something nice and get me a car that is not 10+ years old, only to be kicked with a issue that apparently a known issues to jeep, and not resolved. I am suppose to be feeling the joy of new car ownership, but instead i have this lingering over my head. All i can do right now is wait till monday and call the dealer to schedule to have it looked at.
  • Like Fred said, don't panic. Keep monitoring, and analyze the situation. Before I bought mine, I literally researched the Cherokees for almost a couple of years . When I got ready to pull the trigger, I knew what I wanted, with a lot of help from my constant reading here long before I was a member. I was adamant, I wanted the 3.2, and wasn't even considering the 2.0T mainly because it was brand new, and a lot of unknowns about performance and reliability obviously. Long story short, the nearest one in the color, and equipped with what I wanted was 2400 miles away in Vermont. I had known about the one I ended up with, which was everything I wanted, except for the 2.0T. Fast forward, my dealer called me with an offer I couldn't resist, and I took the chance. So far so good considering that I completely went against my better judgment. See what FCA can do for you, because I'm pretty sure there are a handful of service bulletins, and or recall issues with the Tigershark. Diligence and persistence pays off. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reactions: Key03

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, hang in there. My ‘19 Tigershark has not used any oil between changes. They are not all prone to excessive use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i called the service department and told them that when i checked it, it was low, they said hold on let me get you do the manager., then was transferred from them to the apparently the main dealership manager, So the game of passing me along has started. As of right now i have left voice mails and waiting on call back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never check the oil when the motor has just been shut off. You need to wait for at least 10-15 min for it all to drain back and dead cold is even better.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Never check the oil when the motor has just been shut off. You need to wait for at least 10-15 min for it all to drain back and dead cold is even better.
The above is pretty much all wrong. The engine should be fully warmed up, and checked five minutes after shutting down. This isn’t you daddy’s 4.0 L Jeep.

F208DC2D-7F5E-4378-932E-C8575A3DF06A.jpeg

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, a cold engine will not give you an accurate reading.

I tend to wait more around 10-15min to check the oil after the vehicle is turned off.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, a cold engine will not give you an accurate reading.

I tend to wait more around 10-15min to check the oil after the vehicle is turned off.
I'm not sure how it makes a bit of difference whether the engine is cold, or warm, if all the oil is in the oil pan, it's definitely going to give you an accurate reading. I mean really??? Is there a secret compartment that the cold oil goes and hides overnight until you crank it up, and warm it up??? Seriously???

·
Registered
559 Posts
This applies to all vehicles equipped with a DIPSTICK mode of checking the oil. Now I did have a Mercedes that didn't even have a dipstick, and the computer checked the oil in a crazy German "Pre-Trip" thing that it did. I didn't really trust that thing at first, but it was surprisingly accurate down to 10ths of a quart if you did it in the "Technician" screen It wouldn't even let you do it unless the engine was completely cold, or shut off for at least 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Agreed!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm not sure how it makes a bit of difference whether the engine is cold, or warm, if all the oil is in the oil pan, it's definitely going to give you an accurate reading. I mean really??? Is there a secret compartment that the cold oil goes and hides overnight until you crank it up, and warm it up??? Seriously???
Well, one thing I know is motor oil will expand or contract depending on the temp, similar to any state of matter. With that, since Jeep specifically says to check it when it is warm, the dipstick is likely calibrated in such a way to account for the thermal expansion of the oil when it is warm.

Like most things we discuss here on this forum, consult your owners manual.

Reactions: Key03

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,369 Posts

Sigh

Update 6/1 -- Dealer called me back took it in. They topped it off and said there was a TSB told me they rest my trip b and said to comeback in 1500-1800 miles so they can check it again.

Side note when i got there the service adviser thought i was someone else ( a look alike) i told him why i was here and he said didn't we just replace the motor in this and now its losing oil. Kinda funny side note. I guess there is another me in the same color jeep.
If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Check it when cold ? Hot ? I've got THE answer right here : Checking motor oil levels | Mobil™

Debate over, I win :cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We haven't had a good oil or gas octane back-and-forth in a while. Let the battle begin !! ;)

Do it one way and stick to it, so expansion won't be a variable in the equation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Right now i dont have much faith in Jeep cares program. I already gave case open for another issue and been over 2 weeks now al the only updates i get are "we are still trying to contact your local service department." Yet when i was there for this issue nothing was said to me about the other issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts