2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for some direction on this issue. I have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee with 19,000 miles on it. I have had a metallic intermittent popping/knocking noise coming from the front passenger tire area when going over specific dips in the road, or how my tire may hit a bump a certain way. I've had it to the dealership 4 times, test drove it with them, but the noise is random and it won't do the exact noise in the few minutes I am driving with the service manager/tech. Very frustrating. I had the sway bar link replaced already to "see" if that was it. They've checked everything that belongs to the strut (mount, etc). Checked all other suspension parts...plus bushings.

I decided to lift the Jeep a few inches and push "up" on the tire. It seems like when the tire is coming down, the metallic noise is made. Makes sense since dips in the road have the same type of tire movement. I did the same thing to the drivers side, and there was no noise at all. I showed the dealership the video, but they are giving me a hard time because "it can't be duplicated while driving." I hear it everyday at random times, and I'm getting super frustrated.

It seems like it's coming from directly behind the dust cover when the strut is extended a little more than normal.

Anyone have ANY idea what this is?

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hi all,

I am looking for some direction on this issue. I have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee with 19,000 miles on it. I have had a metallic intermittent popping/knocking noise coming from the front passenger tire area when going over specific dips in the road, or how my tire may hit a bump a certain way. I've had it to the dealership 4 times, test drove it with them, but the noise is random and it won't do the exact noise in the few minutes I am driving with the service manager/tech. Very frustrating. I had the sway bar link replaced already to "see" if that was it. They've checked everything that belongs to the strut (mount, etc). Checked all other suspension parts...plus bushings.

I decided to lift the Jeep a few inches and push "up" on the tire. It seems like when the tire is coming down, the metallic noise is made. Makes sense since dips in the road have the same type of tire movement. I did the same thing to the drivers side, and there was no noise at all. I showed the dealership the video, but they are giving me a hard time because "it can't be duplicated while driving." I hear it everyday at random times, and I'm getting super frustrated.

It seems like it's coming from directly behind the dust cover when the strut is extended a little more than normal.

Anyone have ANY idea what this is?
If you're talking about the top of the struts, there's plastic collars. Pop the caps off and take a look...馃槑

Premium Member
Noises are tricky business. Given you replaced the sway bar links, there goes my #1 idea. A while back I had a metallic noise on my passenger front. Swore it was the strut, but they were new. Turns out the sway bar link nut had backed off a few turns even though I had torqued them to the 41 ft-lb requirement. Hard to diagnose if the link is under load. Anyway, I applied some blue Loctite and re-torqued the nuts and the intermittent sound was gone. #2 in the list is the strut bearing plastic clips. If you reuse them, then sometimes they back off a click or two, and the next time you compress and extend the strut rapidly they could come off altogether. I wrap Gorilla tape around mine, poor man's solution to buying metal split rings. #3, the bearing cap could be shot or worn to the point of metal on metal for the bearing ring. I've seen them fall apart, but the spring compression generally holds them in place. Lower down the list is steering components, wheel bearing and LBJ. The latter two are more of a grinding noise and a vibration than a metal click-clack. I assume your isolator pads are in place on the strut spring seat and bearing cap; I've seen photos where some folks forget to put them back in when replacing struts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts