2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't read the engine oil level on the dipstick of my 2017 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the 3.2 L engine. The dipstick needs to be held just right and maybe one can see the markings (which are nearly non-existent) on the dipstick. I have never encountered a worse dipstick. I could always read the dipstick on all the previous vehicles I have owned, and I have owned quite a few in over 50 years, until I bought the Jeep. I assume that this dipstick wasn't stamped hard enough to make a visible impression of the markings on the dipstick. I have been thinking of drilling small holes at the high and low level marks, but don't want the dipstick to break off at those weakened points and fall into the engine. Has anyone else seen this problem?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Haven't had that problem.
Wipe the dipstick clean with a paper towel, then measure the level. If the oil is dirty the 'level' should be easy to see.
Go to a Jeep dealer and compare your dip stick with others on their lot.
A Sales Person should be able to help since they have access to the keys.
See if the Parts Department has a dipstick in stock you can look at.
While you are at it compare to location of the markings on the 2 dipsticks side by side.
Sometimes it helps if I wear my reading glasses.
The good news is I have never had to add oil to my 2014 V6 TH in over 100k miles.
This is a novel idea:

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,082 Posts
I can't read the engine oil level on the dipstick of my 2017 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the 3.2 L engine. The dipstick needs to be held just right and maybe one can see the markings (which are nearly non-existent) on the dipstick. I have never encountered a worse dipstick. I could always read the dipstick on all the previous vehicles I have owned, and I have owned quite a few in over 50 years, until I bought the Jeep. I assume that this dipstick wasn't stamped hard enough to make a visible impression of the markings on the dipstick. I have been thinking of drilling small holes at the high and low level marks, but don't want the dipstick to break off at those weakened points and fall into the engine. Has anyone else seen this problem?
If they the holes are small, and you get all the shavings cleaned, it should be fine. If it were me, and I was sure it was defective, I would pick up one from a junk yard, or order a replacement. They are a little under 30 dollars.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2022 Cherokee Trailhawk
86 Posts
I've had trouble reading some, but only if the oil is really clean, like right after a change.
I usually pull it when the engine is cold. It's easier to read that way because no residual oil is in the tube.
If it's just that it's very faintly stamped, you might be able to wipe it off and then shade it with a pencil. Once you see where the marks are that way, you can put file marks at the full and add points.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
We've actually discussed this before on the forum. One suggestion I had made was to use a Dremel or file and carve some notches (V-shape or round) at the low and high marks. So it would look like this :

Reactions: AZJeeper
1 - 5 of 5 Posts