2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been searching the forum and discovered a few posts about changing the whip antenna to the shark fin. My question is will the unpainted shark fin use on the grand Cherokee work with the the Cherokee? I believe someone mentioned you had to switch wires but I am unsure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
They are available for the KL's already painted. The problem is that installation is a little wonky, they connect with a little wire that then gets stuffed under there along with the OEM base, then just sticks on with double sided tape. Then I've heard reception is affected pretty drastically. WONKY!!! Check out Craven Speed Stubby. They are a 4in machined aluminum, half the length of the factory one. Reception not affected, and doesn't interfere with most roof mounted accessories. Looks great, and only $25 shipped!!!
Screenshot_20200423-200343_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have the stick on shark fin, it does have the wire connector that screws into OEM antenna receptacle and is hold in place with 3M heavy double sided tape just like all the OEM badges. It has a printed circuit mounted on the inside(like TURK home stereo antenna) I live in mountains and found no difference in reception for line of sight FM & Uconnect/siriusxm radio. I don't listen to AM but it picks up all local. The fin sits below roof rack and cross bars, no problems for five years, including car washes. Very happy with product. If you do a SEARCH, lots threads on this subject going back six years. JMHO
Web Roof Rack#1.jpg

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Using OEM GC antenna or maybe KL Overland shark fin you will have to drop headliner. There were some problems with Sirius depending on Uconnect model, don't know if that hold true with your 2018. As far as being "WONKY!!!", is just a self serving statement justifying ones personal choice, there is no accounting for personnel choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are available for the KL's already painted. The problem is that installation is a little wonky, they connect with a little wire that then gets stuffed under there along with the OEM base, then just sticks on with double sided tape. Then I've heard reception is affected pretty drastically. WONKY!!! Check out Craven Speed Stubby. They are a 4in machined aluminum, half the length of the factory one. Reception not affected, and doesn't interfere with most roof mounted accessories. Looks great, and only $25 shipped!!! View attachment 210814
This does not look bad, I can’t stand the rat tail antenna and this seems like a more streamlined looking antenna.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the stick on shark fin, it does have the wire connector that screws into OEM antenna receptacle and is hold in place with 3M heavy double sided tape just like all the OEM badges. It has a printed circuit mounted on the inside(like TURK home stereo antenna) I live in mountains and found no difference in reception for line of sight FM & Uconnect/siriusxm radio. I don't listen to AM but it picks up all local. The fin sits below roof rack and cross bars, no problems for five years, including car washes. Very happy with product. If you do a SEARCH, lots threads on this subject going back six years. JMHO
View attachment 210816
I saw this option as well, is this the visual garage version? There are a few on eBay that look exactly like the visual garage one for $22.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using OEM GC antenna or maybe KL Overland shark fin you will have to drop headliner. There were some problems with Sirius depending on Uconnect model, don't know if that hold true with your 2018. As far as being "WONKY!!!", is just a self serving statement justifying ones personal choice, there is no accounting for personnel choice.
I have seen some of the past posts but they are scattered across the board. From what I read, you can drop just the back part of the headliner and switch the antennas. Even online, the information as to what will fit is all over. If you look up 2014 Cherokee antenna base, the grand Cherokee one pops up and states that it is compatible.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I saw this option as well, is this the visual garage version? There are a few on eBay that look exactly like the visual garage one for $22.
Yes mine is Visual Garage, they where out of B.C. Canada. It cost $87 US total at that time(new product supply & demand), included paint code color match, shipping & handling. Took about 30 minutes to install due to my OCD prep-install-alignment issues. The OEM has a "bump/indent" lock that took a minute to figure out to get off. Well worth it for my needs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Here are the instructions.
Shark fin install.jpeg

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Anybody know the exact size of the threaded stud of the antenna? I want to remove the whip altogether (but leave the base intact for easy future re-installation) and just plug it with a set screw. I tried many different sizes but none are a match. It looks like M6 at a glance but the thread pitch is very slightly off. Diameter looks close/equal to 1/4" but the pitch is way smaller, and the size of the threads themselves are smaller than any "standard" 1/4" bolt. I had a #12-24 and the diameter matches but the pitch is wrong. I'm thinking #12-28 or #12-32 but I don't have one to measure against.

I can take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and use their gauge, but this obviously being a very oddball size, I,dount their gauge will even have a match. Just wondering if anybody out there already knows the answer.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't remember from when I installed antenna but the instructions sheet I posted says M5/M6.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts